Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So have anyone heard of a federal concealed carry, I've heard someone saying that you can get a federal ccw so that you are allowed to carry on military bases. I'm in the military and I'd really like to carry on base. I searched the site and didn't see anything so just forward me if there's already been a discussion of this.

·
Banned
1,438 Posts
Secret Service agents, FBI, US Marshalls, and active state/local LEOs, or retired LEO with 15 years in (covered by LEOSA), can carry anywhere in the country. also, if i'm not mistaken, FFL dealers can carry concealed across the country. if i am mistaken, someone will correct me. even still, carrying on a military base is verboten, especially if you're serving at said base. servicemen may not carry on base.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hopefully, we'll never have a federal CCW license. If we do, the authority to give AND take away the right to carry is in the hands of the congress.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
FFLs can not carry anywhere unless they have a CHL from somewhere. And they have to follow the same rules as everyone else.

There are no such things as a Federal CHL unless you work for a federal agency that issues firearms to their agents.

Personally, I have no desire for a federal CHL system. They would have to be issued by either the FBI or the ATF and that would put them squarely under the President's authority. All it would take is one sentence from him to stop the whole thing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh well, I guess I'll have to trust security forces to protect me, I'm the type that would carry unauthorized if I were in a job outside the military, but here they frown on that type of thing a bit too much.

·
Super Moderator
18,130 Posts
Oh well, I guess I'll have to trust security forces to protect me, I'm the type that would carry unauthorized if I were in a job outside the military, but here they frown on that type of thing a bit too much.
Like they did in Fort Hood eh?

Man...you guys are in between a rock and a hardplace.:scruntiny:

·
Premium Member
24,511 Posts
Secret Service agents, FBI, US Marshalls, and active state/local LEOs, or retired LEO with 15 years in (covered by LEOSA), can carry anywhere in the country. also, if i'm not mistaken, FFL dealers can carry concealed across the country. if i am mistaken, someone will correct me. even still, carrying on a military base is verboten, especially if you're serving at said base. servicemen may not carry on base.
While FBI, US Marshals and Secret Service can carry on a military base, state/local LEO are prohibited unless in performance of their duties with permission of the base commander. Retired LEO even with LEOSA are prohibited, since they do not perform any LE duties.

·
Banned
1,438 Posts
FFLs can not carry anywhere unless they have a CHL from somewhere. And they have to follow the same rules as everyone else.
see, i told you someone would come along and correct me.:smile:

i'm not sure if i like the idea of national carry rights or not. on the one hand, it'd be nice to go to NYC and not worry for my life. it makes travelling much more flexible. but, like others have said, it would be subject to federal whimsy, as well.

·
Registered
449 Posts
A Federal CCWP would be disastrous to the principles of the 2nd AMENDMENT.

While iit may appear noble and and a win for Gun Rights to an unsuspecting applicant, its real EVIL intent is to disarm the citizenry. Since all firearms would, I assume, be registered in a centralized federal database, the Federal Government would have a complete accounting of firearms in the hands of all private citizens. Then with the mighty decree of the Statist Leader via Executive Privilege Fiat, the 2nd Amendment Right to possess firearms would be destroyed in an instant. This has happened historically in Nazi Europe.

May God watch over the United States of America.

Ronald Wilson Reagan, America misses you dearly.

·
Registered
236 Posts
An FFL does not allow concealed carry. Most states do recognize "transport" of a firearm carried as merchandise, wrapped and boxed.

States have laws that recognize various levels of "being armed" for federal officers. In the past few years, the Federal LEO act known as 218 has authorized any active duty and qualified retired LEO to carry nationwide. However the actual place that can be carried vary by state. A retired LEO in Kansas must obey the "no gun signs" but an active LEO or Kansas PI does not.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Federal reciprocity law like DL

The Feds should not have a CCW.

But the principle of Constitutionally recognizing the legal acts of one state by another state [your DL is valid anywhere and your marriage license too] says that the feds should mandate that all states must recognize a valid license from any other state.

That would make Illinois and Wisconsin accessible and it also means that CA, NY and HI would have to recognize a valid license.

There also should not be a waiting period before a US citizen can apply for a CCH, many states place a 6 month residency requirement on top of being a US citizen, that seems to be a denial of a basic civil right.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
But the principle of Constitutionally recognizing the legal acts of one state by another state [your DL is valid anywhere and your marriage license too] says that the feds should mandate that all states must recognize a valid license from any other state.
Marriage licenses are not all recognized across the board in all states. A marriage license granted to a gay couple in a state where it is legal is not valid in all 50 states. But they sure are pushing for it.

But carrying should not be a licensing or permission issue at all. It is a Constitutional right and all states should be prohibited from infringing upon it, the same way segregation is prohibited.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Slightly off topic, but Is there a FFL license or any other type of license that allows the carry of full automatic with the ATF bessings?

I am wearing flame retartant underwear so flame on it need be?

·
Banned
1,438 Posts
Slightly off topic, but Is there a FFL license or any other type of license that allows the carry of full automatic with the ATF bessings?

I am wearing flame retartant underwear so flame on it need be?
as far as i know, NFA items aren't considered'typical' armaments, so to speak, so their ownership is more of a 'may-issue' then 'shall-issue' type of deal. i assume the same condition would apply to their carry as well.

·
Super Moderator
18,130 Posts
FFL's dont allow carry of any type of gun. That is a state issue and you must have a permit for it, unless you reside in Alaska or Vermont.

Last time I checked, 34 states allowed Full Auto's.

Some states, like my own, do not allow carry of full auto weapons on the Concealed Handgun Liscense. Other states do.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I am opposed to a Fed CCW license. If they can tell the states they have to recognize it, they can tell the states that they cannot recognize others.

As to the danger on a military post does anyone know of an armed attack, except maybe a family member, on a military base in the last 50 years? Boy that is spooky. One attack in history, and I'm afraid to go unarmed.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
158 Posts
Armed attack on a military base? Ft Hood a couple of weeks ago... the sniper attack at Ft Bragg in 1995 (1 dead, 20 wounded)... 3 wounded at a Navy reserve base in Texas according to cnn Dec 1 1995... Ft Lewis Wash 2 dead July 2009...

·
Super Moderator
18,130 Posts
As to the danger on a military post does anyone know of an armed attack, except maybe a family member, on a military base in the last 50 years? Boy that is spooky. One attack in history, and I'm afraid to go unarmed.
Are you serious?
There are many examples.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Are you serious?
There are many examples.
Scorpion has given several examples, but that is not "many" considering the number of bases. If there are in fact many then can you provide the information that leads you to that conclusion?

I do appreciate the information.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
420 Posts
Scorpion has given several examples, but that is not "many" considering the number of bases. If there are in fact many then can you provide the information that leads you to that conclusion?

I do appreciate the information.
Regards,
Jerry
If concealed carry was based directly on the immediate likelihood of being a victim of violent crime, I suspect most of us wouldn't carry at all. We don't carry because we expect to be attacked at all times, we carry in case of that unlikely scenario.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts