Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the difference in these two rounds? Also I see several names for the HST. One is law enforcement another is Tactical there may be others. Are these just a name change or are they different?

I think the HST is a +P round. I would rather not use +p but if it is that much better I will. I am looking for a carry ammo with a cost that I can practice with.

thanks for the help

·
Registered
9,893 Posts
HST is offered in both +P and non +P and different grains 115 and 124 come to mind ...Different naming but all should be about the same .

Hydro are a older round ..Still good but first/sec gen ..HST is I think the most current version of the SXT aka the old black talons

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I would like to use the 124 grain non +P. Is there a special name for the non +P HST?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thanks. I have been doing a bunch of research but can't get a definitive answer. I saw this from the exact site you linked me to. I am guessing that the Tactical is the non +p and the Law Enforcement is the +p. Is that correct?

thanks

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
HSTs to the best of my knowledge only come in 124 or 147 grain flavors both weights come standard and +P. The 50 round boxes sold on line are marked "law enforcement" and say "tactical" on the box. The hsts sold in the box stores are not marked tactical and come in 20 round boxes for about the same price. I believe them to be the exact same round.

Federal also has a round called "tactical bonded" and I believe this is separate from the HST line.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. Yeah they sound to be the same. I am hoping to find some 50 round boxes local or at a gun show. Man the shipping is almost as much as the ammo. I only want one box to try. I have been using Hydro Shock. They run fine in my pistols. I got a couple of boxes of Critical Defense they have FTF issues. Cant get them to load in either pistol. Trying to find a sale with free shipping on the Federal Premium HST 9mm 124 Gr JHP
SKU: P9HST1

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts
I only buy LE ammo in 50 round boxes online or at a good LGS for about $25. Most LGS only have civilian boxes of 20 for over a dollar a round for the exact same ammo. Marketing.

Reactions: gen3

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah it seems like its about 12 bucks to ship. If I knew it would run in my pistols I would buy a few boxes to ease the pain of shipping. I would hate to buy it and find it doesn't run. Pretty sure it will since the Hydro Shock have no problems. There is a pretty big gun show this week end. Maybe I'll get lucky and get some there.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
HST is offered in both +P and non +P and different grains 115 and 124 come to mind ...Different naming but all should be about the same .

Hydro are a older round ..Still good but first/sec gen ..HST is I think the most current version of the SXT aka the old black talons
Hydra-Shok and HST are Federal products
aren't SXT and Black Talons made by Winchester?

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
The +p gets less penetration opens to fast!
If the gun I'm using has less than 4" barrel, I use +P. If over 4", I use s/velocity. HST and HST2 are superior designs, the hydra shock being older technology.

Use HST, SXT, Ranger T and you're using some of the best sd ammo you can load in your pistols.

For more information on any loads discussed, google is your friend. There's a wealth of information out there if you'll spend a little time reading. Then you can decide for yourself what YOU feel comfortable carrying.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
If the gun I'm using has less than 4" barrel, I use +P. If over 4", I use s/velocity. HST and HST2 are superior designs, the hydra shock being older technology.
This is a pretty good rule of thumb. There are some standard-pressure rounds that work well in short barrels, and ShootingThebull410 even has a series about it on YT. (Link goes to the 9mm playlist, not a specific video).

Reactions: AzQkr

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
Previous thread on it in 2008.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum...80-federal-hst-vs-hydra-shock-pics-40s-w.html

The proof is in the puddin'

I just can not accept some things unless I see it or do it myself.

Yesterday I spent some time with a buddy out shooting, and I wanted to do some impromptu ballistic tests on my SD loads.

Federal HST 180gr. and Hydra-Shock 180gr.

Target media, 1 gallon jugs of Artesian water.

Range 15 ft.

Federal HST penetrated 2 jugs and stopped in the third.

Federal Hydra-Shock first shot went through all three jugs, and the plywood backstop...not located.

Second shot went through three jugs, (started veering off) glanced off the fourth and glanced off the plywood, no located for 30 minutes 20' away

Third shot through 3 jugs, bounced off the fourth and back into the third jug (there was clearly an exit hole and an indentation in the fourth jug)

I was concerned about over penetration with the 180gr, and the effectiveness of a 15 year old design. I now have my new SD load until something better comes along.

Here's how they look once shot. I think Hornandy Critical has some of the best from both ... penetration and expansion
HST on the Left, HydroShock on the right.
The other to consider is Hornandy Critical Duty.

Hornandy Critical Duty

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
Ok thanks. I have been doing a bunch of research but can't get a definitive answer. I saw this from the exact site you linked me to. I am guessing that the Tactical is the non +p and the Law Enforcement is the +p. Is that correct?

thanks
They are both called by Federal .... Law Enforcement Tactical ammunition. That's how they refer to it in several incidents. In the things I"ve seen they don't separate tactical and law enforcement.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Shooting the bulls test of 9mm HST in both 124gr and 147gr had very little difference in penetration or expansion of the standard and +P rds. For me, why wear out the gun faster and have more recoil if the results are almost identical?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts