Defensive Carry banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, we all know that guns are a big no no at Fed facilities. Probably the grand daddy of all no nos.

I wonder if there would be a way to get the guards at the entry to set up a weapons check for CCWers. A place we could store our weapons when we get to work. That would rock.

I don't think they'd start it unless alot of people wanted it. Another possibility....I ask, they say no, then search my stinkin' car everytime I get there because they know I carry guns. The latter seems more likely.

Do you think it would even be worth asking? Maybe if I went through someone other than security with the request?

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Don't hold your breath!

Ti.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Unless you want to resemble a SMURF... Dont hold your breath .....

I think they are more likely to tell you that you can never carry a firearm if you work in a government office the way things are going

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
jar - I'd love to share your optimism but like the others said - no breath holding!!

Probably best to zip the lip :wink:

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
Talk to the provost office for the base. If they have an armory maybe they will make an accomodation. They typically store firearms for personnel stationed on bases. Now if the base has no quarters for military personnel then you will likely be out of luck. Prime example for me was the St. Andrews Annex. It's an old ammo dump site, so no barracks and no provision for firearms storage. All the troops are billeted elsewhere.

I wouldn't bother the gate guys with it though. Definitely talk to the head office on this one. All they can say is no. Which is the default response of course.

-Scott-

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Scott said:
Talk to the provost office for the base. If they have an armory maybe they will make an accomodation. They typically store firearms for personnel stationed on bases. Now if the base has no quarters for military personnel then you will likely be out of luck. Prime example for me was the St. Andrews Annex. It's an old ammo dump site, so no barracks and no provision for firearms storage. All the troops are billeted elsewhere.

I wouldn't bother the gate guys with it though. Definitely talk to the head office on this one. All they can say is no. Which is the default response of course.

-Scott-
Military bases have procedures for this. I am familiar with them. However, I am not on a Military base. I'm now working in the civilian sectory for the feds. These facilities are tighter than a base drum. I really don't think it is possible either, but I thought I'd put the bug out there, just in case someone had any info.

·
Banned
1,706 Posts
I don't know about employees working there full time but a few years ago (like maybe 15-20) I had a couple jobs that required me to go onto military bases. This was in Indiana with a CCW law dating back to 1934 and a population with, I think, the highest percentage of CCW holders in the country. First I was a delivery driver and made deliveries to a SAC base, the guard shack at the receiving gate had lockers for securing weapons. Later when I serviced phone systems I had to make some service calls to a navy base and they also had lockers for securing weapons at the guard shacks.

I don’t think it is unreasonable (but again try explaining “reason” to a fed these days) for federal property in CCW states to provide secure storage if they are not going to allow law-abiding, screened and licensed individuals to carry in the facility.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
Having worked in a federal building in NYC, the answer there (if you were one of the few that had a NYC CCW permit) would be no.....if you were to have approached one of the contract security guards and/or Federal Protective Service personnel, you would have had your weapon and CCW permit confiscated and you would have (likely) been cuffed and perhaps arrested by FPS or held for NYPD.

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
Other federal facilities. Uh no.

Nearby parking outside the gate? A co-worker who can pick you up from the parking?

You'd still wind up leaving your gun in your car though.

-Scott-

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
While Federal Office Buildings generally do not have lockbox arrangements (mostly due to liability, which is why you will never get them to change it), most Federal Courthouses do. They have to have them because even law enforcement are not allowed to carry in MOST (I say again, "MOST") Federal Courthouses. Is there a Federal Courthouse close to your building? Perhaps you could utilize it? Or, invest it a good "trunk safe" that is bolted in your trunk.
Gonzo

·
Registered
262 Posts
As a soldier, commander, CCW holder, and hunter, I have been thoroughly educated on pretty much every iteration of getting a weapon on a military installation legally. Definately a PITA, but worth it for me because there is some great hunting available on post.

Several have mentioned the possibility of storing weapons on post. There is a provision for doing so, but only for service members living in the barracks or in post housing. They can store their POWs (Privately Owned Weapons) in their unit armsroom, and just sign them out from the armorer for hunting and target shooting. This requires a memorandum signed by the company-level commander who is the "landlord" for that armsroom, and only for personnel in his command. Bottom line, civilians, contractors, and off-post personnel don't have storage facilities available on post for their weapons.

Another caveat to this whole deal is that you have to register every weapon you bring on post in advance, by S/N, with the provost marshalls office. The form also has to be signed by your unit commander - I used to do this all the time for my soldiers. Not sure how it works for civilians. Once registered, carry the card with you if you have the weapons on board, and again, only for range shooting and hunting - no CCW or just to have it in the truck. You must declare them when you enter the gate, which most times will end up getting your entire vehicle searched, S/Ns verified, and provost marshall's office notified.

I would love the opportunity to check my CCW at the gate, but IMO it ain't gonna happen. Maybe AutoFan is onto something...

·
Registered
21 Posts
I recently called the head of security at the "Tip" O'Neil federal building in Boston. He made it very clear that there was no weapons storage provided and weapons were not allowed inside the front doors. He said the policy was based on federal law. Those of us who use public transportation (no car available) would have to find an alternative storage location or leave 'em at home. :blink:

·
Registered
12 Posts
As a member in the USAF I frequently fly night missions which end very early in the morning. One of the most frustrating things is not being able to carry your "protection tool" once entering the base. Maybe there's some sort of grassroot legislation that the NRA could help start for as a minimum military CCW holders. Maybe starting small and gradually becoming more inclusive of other CCW's is the way to go?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts