Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9,890 Posts
Great another ammo I wont ever find for less then a 1 bucks a round lol

I am hoping this ammo craze ends soon so I can find some of this here ammo I keep hearing about

Reactions: ugh762x39

·
Registered
9,890 Posts
But in all serious I think this is a very good thing that more ammo makers are making ammo for the smaller caliber stuff like 22lr , 22mag and 25acp

As a lot of people do carry these guns as they are either all they can afford or handle

Sure we gun people would say are you mad to carry a 22 or 22 mag or ... But for many a person who is not a gun people they are kind of a talisman I have this we dont have much crime but if we do ..And anything that incres the odds they walk away ....

Reactions: ugh762x39

·
Registered
11,168 Posts
From the tests Paul Harrell did on u toob, the CCI Stingers seem to work pretty well out of the LCP2's barrel length.

Out of shorter barrels I don't think any JHP will expand, so not sure these new rounds will perform any better than any plain old 40 gr load. They will be slower but have more mass, so...

·
Registered
11,536 Posts
I think people should carry whatever they want. The #1 rule is that if you need a gun, have a gun. If anyone wants to carry a .22 for protection, they have my blessing, not that they need it.

But I can't help noticing an irony on this site. If you say you carry a snubby with +P JHPs, or a single stack auto, you get people saying, "Oh, I wouldn't go anywhere without 15+, or I won't carry any caliber that doesn't start with "4." But then someone comes out with a better .22 and people are going "Whoopie!" And the hi-caliber, hi-cap guys are nowhere to be found. Just sayin'...

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I use the old CCI Quick Shoks in my little .22. I figure if I'm using it, it's going to be really close, and I don't need too much penetration with an ocular shot. Having three little fragments rattling around in the brain pan certainly wouldn't be good for one's health.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I think this is an interesting design for a 22 LR round. It is designed to expand more when using a pistol. From the gel test shown it has a better mass to energy ratio allowing for more consistent expansion.

It gives people an option for more reliable results should they choose such a small caliber. Not a bad thing at all.

I doubt that there would be any real benefit of using that round in a rifle over the tried and true rounds that have been around for decades though. At least not for the short range that most .22s are used at.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
I think this is an interesting design for a 22 LR round. It is designed to expand more when using a pistol. From the gel test shown it has a better mass to energy ratio allowing for more consistent expansion.

It gives people an option for more reliable results should they choose such a small caliber. Not a bad thing at all.

I doubt that there would be any real benefit of using that round in a rifle over the tried and true rounds that have been around for decades though. At least not for the short range that most .22s are used at.
Expansion?

Reactions: demanic

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
I dunno...

A 29gr 22?

If I were forced into carrying a 22LR, I'm pretty sure it would have to be one of the "hot" 40 gr loads like Velocitor or Interceptor.

But that's just me. And I can't envision ever carrying a 22 for self defense. What anyone else chooses for EDC is none of my bidness, though.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
That’s one way to get ammunition. Become a reviewer on YouTube or write for a magazine. I have serious doubts of seeing those 22’s anytime soon and with the POTUS determined to end online sales it’s looking pretty bleak in this county.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Expansion? From a flat point?

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Good or bad, doesn't matter. First it has to be in the stores.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Federal posted on their official IG page and I asked what penetration it gets in calibrated gel, their official account responded it penetrated 13.75” in bare gel. That seems reasonable.

If that’s true, I’d feel comfortable carrying it if I needed a super micro gun like the LCP.

·
Registered
20,047 Posts
My opinion is to just use whatever you have. As long as the bullet can penetrate 6 inches in a frontal shot, it will make holes in lung tissue and the heart.
Many holes, done quickly is the strategy when using a 22 rimfire.

Reactions: kmckinnon

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
@entertainment72 and @WebleyHunter yes, expansion. Watch the video and notice the potential wound channels of the various shots. They clearly showed expansion.

Soft nosed lead rounds are designed to expand. It's why I would choose wadcutters in most short barreled guns over hollow points. They are more likely to reliably get better expansion. There are many people who have shown that reality with various range tests and posted the results both in print and in video format. LFN and LRN ammunitions do expand. That's not some myth, it's verified truth.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
@entertainment72 and @WebleyHunter yes, expansion. Watch the video and notice the potential wound channels of the various shots. They clearly showed expansion.

Soft nosed lead rounds are designed to expand. It's why I would choose wadcutters in most short barreled guns over hollow points. They are more likely to reliably get better expansion. There are many people who have shown that reality with various range tests and posted the results both in print and in video format. LFN and LRN ammunitions do expand. That's not some myth, it's verified truth.
I suspect the region of enhanced wound channel is due to projectile tumbling, not expansion of the plated LFN at .22 pistol velocities.

Reactions: JOEYTELLY

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Possibly. It all comes down to the physics. I wish the bullets had been removed from the gel and shown to us. That would have been interesting to see.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Wife Unit carries a 22 mag 351C glad more folks are paying attention to the smaller stuff for those who choose it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts