Defensive Carry banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
.22 Mag has got a bit more spice. I wonder about the .17HRM.
My only issue with 17 is your getting such low bullet weight that you likely will struggle penetration wise. With 22 Magnum 12” plus is doable even with hollow point loads if there proper loads. I think gold dots made something like 13” and the critical defense 12” both exhibiting something like .30 or better diameter. If expansion is unimportant stuff like maxi mags will do 16”. I like the little 351 as it has no recoil or weight it weighs iirc 11oz and 7 shot.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Always good to see more ammo variety, but a high velocity, really-light-for-caliber .22 offering wouldn’t be my first choice out of a small gun for self defense. At pistol velocities with a .22lr - flat or round nose - you are just punching a .22 caliber hole in your target, to think that tiny flat nose is going to change that is....wishful thinking. So the only consideration should be reliability and penetration. Not to mention if the flat nose will cause potential reliability issues in some guns, hopefully not, but it certainly won’t help.

If you are carrying a 22lr just pick a 40gr round nose that is from a good quality manufacturer and call it a day.

·
Super Moderator
18,839 Posts
It seems like Federal is going the large meplat route for a .22 bullet.
Now if they'd do that with a 40 grain bullet we'd have something.

Reactions: demanic
21 - 27 of 27 Posts