Defensive Carry banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Target Sports USA has these rounds at $280 for a case, or $0.28 ea. For that price, this seems like a JHP that you can actually afford to train with.

Near as I can tell, this is an update to the old 9BPLE load, but with perhaps different powders so it is a +P, not a +P+...yet it seems to generate the same velocity (listed as 1300 fps). It's not listed as +P, but the notes state it is.

I know the Hi-Shok bullet isn't the latest and greatest, yet the 9BPLE seemed to have a great street reputation. This load seems to duplicate it, perhaps with slightly lower pressure.

Is there any reason NOT to buy these? Would be used in a Gen 3 G19, a Gen 3 G26 (with a G19 barrel) and a Ruger PC carbine. Would be nice to train with the same load I carry, and to get away from premium whiz-bang loadings.

Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
I carry this. I used to carry 9bp but that’s gotten harder to find, and I often carry a 3.2 inch barrel px4cc now so wanted a bit more oomph. I believe you’ll find the velocity to be closer to 1225 FPS, a kind of intermediate between 9bp and 9bple at 1300.

I train with Fiocchi or lawman fmj with similar numbers.

Ymmv

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
That is a good price and good ammo...it would get the job done...on the cheap...not really, but cheaper.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
That's a good buy!

·
Registered
671 Posts
Target Sports USA has these rounds at $280 for a case, or $0.28 ea. ... Is there any reason NOT to buy these? ...
Apparently this was a standard load used by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. Can't speak to "street creds", but, I'd doubt it is significantly less effective than 9BPLE. YMMV...:wink:

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've used a fair amount of the XM9001, have carried it, and have chronographed it in several different types of guns. FWIW, in a SIG P229 with 3.9" barrel the 9BP averaged: 1095 FPS, the XM9001: 1152 FPS, the 9BPLE: 1253 FPS. The Federal 115 JHP in all three versions has been reliable in all of my guns, and has proven satisfyingly accurate in all of them.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I've used a fair amount of the XM9001, have carried it, and have chronographed it in several different types of guns. FWIW, in a SIG P229 with 3.9" barrel the 9BP averaged: 1095 FPS, the XM9001: 1152 FPS, the 9BPLE: 1253 FPS. The Federal 115 JHP in all three versions has been reliable in all of my guns, and has proven satisfyingly accurate in all of them.
Rock, thanks for the chronograph info on those three loads! I've shot a fair amount of 9BP, read about the +P+, but know nothing about the XM 9001 except the info on the Target website, which I don't consider definitive. Good to hear about your experience with these loads. Makes sense that the XM 9001 was intended to be a +P load, at least in terms of comparative velocity, fitting in between the well-known standard pressure and +P+ loads.

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Target Sports USA is about the only place I buy ammo anymore. Great deals, free shipping, prompt service.
Yup.....^^^this^^^…

Reactions: Mike1956

·
Registered
156 Posts

·
Registered
10,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I’ve almost used up my stock of 9mm FMJ. Will buy a case of this next time it’s available and start training with what I will carry.

This will also mean a switch back to my G26 instead of my .45 G30, which I’m fine with. Being able to afford to carry the same load you train with is a significant advantage IMHO.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts