• 1 Speedloader/Strip

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • 2 Speedloader's/Strip's

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Other

Votes: 7 5.5%
  • Bug instead of Spare Mag's Or Speedloader's

Votes: 2 1.6%

Feedback Poll: How much Ammo do you pack when CCW?

5639 Views 75 Replies 68 Participants Last post by  farmerj
I know that some of the people here are armed better than most LEO's, however I was really curious to get a good idea of many mag's various people carry, and their justification for carrying multiple magazines.

*I carry my H&K USPc, with only 1 mag. inserted with one round in the chamber. I have 13 rounds in this weapon. Unless I ever get into an outright shootout, I cannot forsee ever needing more (At least to carry on my person at all times) I leave loaded mag's in the car trunk, mostly for convenience at the range.

Tell us how much you carry... and if you dont mind support your position.
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

· Premium Member
8,015 Posts
How many magazines?

I do like you and usually don't carry an extra magazine around town.
When I hit the road though, I take a spare. I take a SureFire Flashlight with me at night. :image035:

· Registered
4,400 Posts
My extra ammo is in my backup gun.

Since the weather is hot now and I wear shorts often, I'm usually down to one gun. If it's a semiauto, I top off the mag as usual and keep a spare in my purse.

I have had the welded floorplate to a Para mag fall off while shooting, dumping ammo all over my feet. Not good.

· Registered
2,053 Posts
About the time you leave the house with 10 rounds, you could get into some huge pissin' contest of a fight--with that in mind, I carry a minimum of loaded pistol plus 15 in an extra mag, and sometimes two extra mags...depends on how I carry and dress that day.

I know, I know, I've seen the stats on armed confrontations; but does that mean that we only need to carry 2-3 rounds...heh.

· Registered
1,565 Posts
Just the mag I've got in the pistol. 8 rounds, total, including the one I keep in the pipe, carried cocked and locked.

Now that's just on me, my physical self person. My truck is a different deal. Got lotsa ammo there. 20 150 gr. softpoints for my truck Mosin (on strippers) and probably 20 or so Silvertips for the 10mm I keep in the truck, including one fully stoked backup magazine.

· Premium Member
25,596 Posts
Usually I am just 15+1 - but do on occasion add the other 15 round mag. As others have said with mags in fact - it is less a capacity issue than mag reliability - failure at the wrong moment!

I usually have a bug but that is a mouse so - whenever in the least doubtful out and about - spare mag goes along. Guess some of this being long aquainted with Murphy - knowing he will be happy to mess things up in a crisis :wink:

· Registered
615 Posts
I rarely carry reloads, but that's not to say it isn't a good Idea. I'm very confident in the reliability of my carry pieces, and the chances of getting into a confrontation requiring more than the ammo carried in the gun are probably worse than winning the lotto. That being said if I have to be in a especially dangerous place I'll pack an extra mag and a bug. That may only happen a couple times a year though.

· Premium Member
8,015 Posts
P95Carry said:
As others have said with mags in fact - it is less a capacity issue than mag reliability - failure at the wrong moment!
Hummm... excellent point! I may just have to re-think not having that second magazine! :shot:

· Super Moderator
29,447 Posts
i usually go with 10+1 plus a 17 round mag. Around the house - no BU mag.

· Registered
982 Posts
Gun topped off carried IWB strong side with two extra mags weak side with my primary gun. Backup is 5 shot snubbie loaded (Usually in Ankle Holster) and one speed strip with 6 rounds carried in a pocket.

· Registered
3,803 Posts
Not enough

2 extra mags + 13 in my 229, or if I'm carrying my 1911, 2 extra 8 round mags plus 9 in my carry. I also have a SP101, 357 with 5 rounds in my left front pocket. Parinoid, maybe; but, I'd rather have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Supertac45 said:
2 extra mags + 13 in my 229, or if I'm carrying my 1911, 2 extra 8 round mags plus 9 in my carry. I also have a SP101, 357 with 5 rounds in my left front pocket. Parinoid, maybe; but, I'd rather have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
I dont call you paranoid... but I think your better armed walking the streets of your hometown than a lot of soldiers in Baghdad. You carry all of this with you? How much does all of that gear and ammo weigh? :blink:

· Registered
1,166 Posts
With the S&W640 I just have the five in the gun and six more on a bianchi speedstrip.

With the 1911, at least one extra 8 rounder sometimes two.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.