• Bug instead of Spare Mag's Or Speedloader's

Votes: 2 1.6%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that some of the people here are armed better than most LEO's, however I was really curious to get a good idea of many mag's various people carry, and their justification for carrying multiple magazines.

*I carry my H&K USPc, with only 1 mag. inserted with one round in the chamber. I have 13 rounds in this weapon. Unless I ever get into an outright shootout, I cannot forsee ever needing more (At least to carry on my person at all times) I leave loaded mag's in the car trunk, mostly for convenience at the range.

Tell us how much you carry... and if you dont mind support your position.

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
How many magazines?

I do like you and usually don't carry an extra magazine around town.
When I hit the road though, I take a spare. I take a SureFire Flashlight with me at night. :image035:

·
Banned
33 Posts
I usually only carry the mag that's in the gun. The mag holds 10 with 1 in the chamber, and I figure if I can't hit what I'm shooting at with 11 rounds I shouldn't be carrying it anyway.....

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
My extra ammo is in my backup gun.

Since the weather is hot now and I wear shorts often, I'm usually down to one gun. If it's a semiauto, I top off the mag as usual and keep a spare in my purse.

I have had the welded floorplate to a Para mag fall off while shooting, dumping ammo all over my feet. Not good.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I carry a 1911 with a spare mag...not so much for the extra ammo, but for correcting magazine related failures, or failures that require me to strip the mag from the gun.
YMMV.

·
Registered
810 Posts
sarhog said:
I carry a 1911 with a spare mag...not so much for the extra ammo, but for correcting magazine related failures, or failures that require me to strip the mag from the gun.
YMMV.
Same here. I'm much more concerned with a magazine-related failure than I am rounds total.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
About the time you leave the house with 10 rounds, you could get into some huge pissin' contest of a fight--with that in mind, I carry a minimum of loaded pistol plus 15 in an extra mag, and sometimes two extra mags...depends on how I carry and dress that day.

I know, I know, I've seen the stats on armed confrontations; but does that mean that we only need to carry 2-3 rounds...heh.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Just the mag I've got in the pistol. 8 rounds, total, including the one I keep in the pipe, carried cocked and locked.

Now that's just on me, my physical self person. My truck is a different deal. Got lotsa ammo there. 20 150 gr. softpoints for my truck Mosin (on strippers) and probably 20 or so Silvertips for the 10mm I keep in the truck, including one fully stoked backup magazine.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Usually I am just 15+1 - but do on occasion add the other 15 round mag. As others have said with mags in fact - it is less a capacity issue than mag reliability - failure at the wrong moment!

I usually have a bug but that is a mouse so - whenever in the least doubtful out and about - spare mag goes along. Guess some of this being long aquainted with Murphy - knowing he will be happy to mess things up in a crisis :wink:

·
Registered
615 Posts
I rarely carry reloads, but that's not to say it isn't a good Idea. I'm very confident in the reliability of my carry pieces, and the chances of getting into a confrontation requiring more than the ammo carried in the gun are probably worse than winning the lotto. That being said if I have to be in a especially dangerous place I'll pack an extra mag and a bug. That may only happen a couple times a year though.

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
P95Carry said:
As others have said with mags in fact - it is less a capacity issue than mag reliability - failure at the wrong moment!
Hummm... excellent point! I may just have to re-think not having that second magazine! :shot:

·
Registered
942 Posts
Gun topped off carried IWB strong side with two extra mags weak side with my primary gun. Backup is 5 shot snubbie loaded (Usually in Ankle Holster) and one speed strip with 6 rounds carried in a pocket.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Not enough

2 extra mags + 13 in my 229, or if I'm carrying my 1911, 2 extra 8 round mags plus 9 in my carry. I also have a SP101, 357 with 5 rounds in my left front pocket. Parinoid, maybe; but, I'd rather have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Fairly conservative ammo count

Carry a 5 shot S&W 642 inside the pocket and 6 rounds more on a speed strip weak side pocket. I'm still a relatively new CCW and learning.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Supertac45 said:
2 extra mags + 13 in my 229, or if I'm carrying my 1911, 2 extra 8 round mags plus 9 in my carry. I also have a SP101, 357 with 5 rounds in my left front pocket. Parinoid, maybe; but, I'd rather have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
I dont call you paranoid... but I think your better armed walking the streets of your hometown than a lot of soldiers in Baghdad. You carry all of this with you? How much does all of that gear and ammo weigh? :blink:

·
Registered
569 Posts
I carry daily 9 in the mag +1 in the pipe. I sometimes carry an extra mag on my belt but it is rare.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
With the S&W640 I just have the five in the gun and six more on a bianchi speedstrip.

With the 1911, at least one extra 8 rounder sometimes two.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts