11,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Reactions: OD*

·
Registered
11,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
The death penalty does stop recidivism.
But you got to be extra sure you are not killing an innocent man.
Have you ever seen the film, "The Life of David Gale"? It's supposed to be an anti death penalty film, but that's not what we came away from it with. Interesting film on a couple different levels.

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
Have you ever seen the film, "The Life of David Gale"? It's supposed to be an anti death penalty film, but that's not what we came away from it with. Interesting film on a couple different levels.
I watched that last Friday night on either Amazon or Netflix. I forget which it was. Better than a lot of stuff I have seen lately.

·
Registered
11,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
We don't send them anywhere. We just tell them that they can't stay here. Where they go is up to them. And if no one else wants to take them in, that's their problem.
I don't think that's a realistic solution.

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
You are absolutely right, good point. Another factor that enhances the deterrent effect I have read about is the speed at which the "being caught and receiving even a comparatively modest consequence" happens. If it takes a long time to catch them and a long time to convict them, it creates the illusion that the certainty is not there. And as we know of course, the colder a case gets, the less likely a successful case can be brought.

When it comes to gun crimes, the certainty factor is really low for actual criminals. I heard a retired prosecutor say in a presentation that gun crimes are almost always plea bargained away for guilty pleas to more serious crimes and this is true across the country. So the only people who get punished for gun crimes are otherwise law abiding citizens with no other charges.
So the government should leave no stone unturned in the pursuit of those who break the law. And punishment should be sure, swift, and severe to deter others?
Sounds good to me.

·
Premium Member
6,327 Posts
We don't send them anywhere. We just tell them that they can't stay here. Where they go is up to them. And if no one else wants to take them in, that's their problem.
That hasn't worked for the Israelis handling of Palestinians, don't see it working here.

Reactions: G26Raven

·
Registered
28 Posts
Tough on crime renders fewer but tougher criminals. Soft on crime renders more but softer criminals. The War on Drugs is a perfect example.
I don’t agree with this. Soft on crime renders more softer criminals but that doesn’t mean it removes tough ones. We just end up with lots of criminals.

Yes the war on drugs has created a lot of soft criminals but the tough ones are very much there running the show. I would not say cartel members are soft criminals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
12,742 Posts
We should sell the death penalty to the liberals as retroactive abortions. It reduces recidivism.
Yeah. How can you decide to get rid of a child you've never met? It's when the little shits hit puberty than you really want to get rid of them!

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
the authors of the book i mentioned found that the two leading indicators of future crime, by far, were poverty and a single parent home. they also posited that the people in those situations were more likely than others to have abortions after it became legal. they suggested that the reduction in crime in the 90's was because a lot of the criminals that would have been born into that social situation and become of age and reached their peak criminal years in the 90's were aborted two decades earlier. as you might guess, i remember the left going apes**t about this theory. the backlash against this was pretty impressive, iirc

·
Premium Member
38,334 Posts
the authors of the book i mentioned found that the two leading indicators of future crime, by far, were poverty and a single parent home. they also posited that the people in those situations were more likely than others to have abortions after it became legal. they suggested that the reduction in crime in the 90's was because a lot of the criminals that would have been born into that social situation and become of age and reached their peak criminal years in the 90's were aborted two decades earlier. as you might guess, i remember the left going apes**t about this theory. the backlash against this was pretty impressive, iirc
Backlash and denials don't negate the facts.

·
Premium Member
38,334 Posts

·
Premium Member
38,334 Posts
I don’t agree with this. Soft on crime renders more softer criminals but that doesn’t mean it removes tough ones. We just end up with lots of criminals.

Yes the war on drugs has created a lot of soft criminals but the tough ones are very much there running the show. I would not say cartel members are soft criminals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The War on Drugs is exactly what put the cartels on top of the food chain. Stiffer penalties=tougher, more violent, and more resolute criminals. The greater the risk, the greater the rewards. The lightweights drop out, prices go up, and those willing to do whatever it takes become more powerful.

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
I don't think that's a realistic solution.
Why not?
So the government should leave no stone unturned in the pursuit of those who break the law. And punishment should be sure, swift, and severe to deter others?
Sounds good to me.
I'm sure that it does. I do have sneaking suspicion that you would not want to trim any laws from the books. Probably quite the opposite. You would probably have a lot of support for your views too. Until all of the unintended (or possibly intended) consequences start to kick in.

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
Why not?

I'm sure that it does. I do have sneaking suspicion that you would not want to trim any laws from the books. Probably quite the opposite. You would probably have a lot of support for your views too. Until all of the unintended (or possibly intended) consequences start to kick in.
As Abraham Lincoln said the fastest way to get rid of bad laws is to enforce them vigorously.

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.

Ayn Rand

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Of late, committing a crime is like playing the lottery. The odds are extremely low that you'll get caught, convicted, and sentenced.

As for recidivism, there's 2 kinds of mindsets: 1) That ain't worth it and I'll do whatever it takes to never go to jail again; 2) What did I do wrong to get caught?

21 - 40 of 43 Posts