Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I was pretty much thinking of going with Big Dots for my aging (Farsighted) eyes, but have read good things about Novak wide notch fiber optic sights. Opinions? Mainly for self defense and shooting inside of 25 yards in an indoor range. Thanks

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
If SD is included in the mix, go with (tritium) Big Dots. Without good overhead ambient light, fiber optics can't glow. Fiber optics really shine (pardon the pun) on sport/competition guns where they can pick-up the daylight AND where a failure may cost you some points...but no blood. Tritium Big Dots are generally tougher & more applicable to SD. What handgun are you considering for installation?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If SD is included in the mix, go with (tritium) Big Dots. Without good overhead ambient light, fiber optics can't glow. Fiber optics really shine (pardon the pun) on sport/competition guns where they can pick-up the daylight AND where a failure may cost you some points...but no blood. Tritium Big Dots are generally tougher & more applicable to SD. What handgun are you considering for installation?

A G26 for now. And maybe a M&P .45 in the future.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
G26? That's Big Dot territory for sure. Consider the standard size (rather than large) front dot. It has the same size tritium vial with a slightly narrower white surrounding outline. On a short slide (G26) the standard dot should be plenty big enough to see & align AND the standard size dot lessens the "snagability" on clothes, etc. during rapid presentation.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I have XS 24/7 Big dots on my H&K USP's. The only thing I will say is that you need a good 500 rounds or better through the gun with those sights to acclimate yourself to the system.

They call it "making the ice cream cone" due to the single vertical white line on the rear site. The front sight is without a doubt easily picked up due to it's size and it's white appearance during daylight hours.

I shot low for a good 200-300 rounds untill I got used "making the ice cream cone" with the front sight aligned just atop of the vertical line on the rear sight.

Once you get it, you'll not really like standard sights anymore.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Never heard of it called "making the ice cream cone"... good one.

I'll stick with "Dot the I"... Less words for my small brain!

ajgranda, I like the Big Dot for SD. If you wanna it to do double duty as a range gun..then the small dot would be a better choice. Like everyone has said...after a short practice session, you'll probably never go back to conventional sights. They really are quick to pick up and put on target.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
I have a Big Dot on my G27. I believe it's Gunsite that does "old man sights" a rounded out special cut Novak rear with a Big Dot up front.

·
Registered
7,974 Posts
XS Big Dots on my G26. Love em!

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I have the Big Dots on my SIG P239 and really like them. In fact I'm going to get them for my two home guns; an H&K USP45 and a SIG Pro.

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Listen to semperfi.45. :hand10:

I have big dots on both of my M&P compacts and only regret that I have the same big dot vertical bar system on the rear.

The front is just what I wanted, but the rear isn't worth the expense and may be the reason for my learning curve with the XS Big Dot system.

One thing about the vertical bar, though, is that it has a distinct glow that makes it hard to confuse the front and rear sights in the dark. I'm willing to point shoot with the one big dot in the dark.

My preference for a rear sight would be a half-moon or V-notch with a tritium outline. That would be distinct but allow a lower front sight picture.

My boss said he doesn't need a flashlight - the muzzle flash works fine. :wink:

·
Registered
712 Posts
I switched from XS and regular fiber optics to TFO's - you get night sights and fiber optics in one sight. It's almost unfair using them. I have the on 6 of my Glocks.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
I have actually seen some NEW sights that are BIG and the rear sight is the base of a pyramid with the front sight completing the tip of the triangle. Look very interesting but I don't know the brand name. Anybody got a clue to them?

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
FO vs XS Big Dot Sights?

Bought the XS Big Dots after using a FO front and adjustable 2 dot rear on my G35. Could not get them to work after 1000 rounds beyond 7-10 yards. Put the FO back on and 2 dot rear and no issues out to 25 yards. I know the XS are great for short range, but when I am shooting IPSC, IDPA and personal practice, I need something that does not cover up the target beyond 10 yards. I have been shooting IPSC for 16 years with mostly Ghost Ring rears and FO fronts. My carry gun has a Tritium front and adjustable 2 dot rear.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts