Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I made a post on my holster thread in another section of the forum, but thought it might be better to start a new thread about it.

My wife and I are new shooters, and took a class two weeks ago, and bought our first pistols last weekend. We have our concealed carry applications filled out and will go to the courthouse Friday to turn them in. I think the last two steps we need while we wait for our permits to come is to get holsters and gun belts. But before I order my holster, I need to figure out which hand I shoot better with.

I am left eye dominant, and I do some things lefty and some things righty, but not many ambidextrously.

For example, here are the things I do lefty: shoot pool, shoot rifles, use a screwdriver or hammer, and eat. The things I do righty are: throw, bat, kick, play golf, swing a bat, and write.

So as you can see, I have a pretty confused brain.

When we rented pistols last week, and in our beginner class the week before, it felt natural to shoot left handed. I did keep both eyes open, but used my left eye to sight.

But I do want to try right handed shooting because it seems like it would open up a lot more options of pistols for me to choose from when (not if) I buy more pistols!

Because my left eye is so dominant, I would have to cock my head funny to shoot right handed in order to get my left eye behind the sights, but Hickok45 and Nutnfancy do it, so it might actually work for me. I was practicing gripping and dry firing last night right handed, and it seems to work fine. I will try at the range this Friday with live ammo.

Is anyone else in this boat of being so confused? I am not the typical left eye dominant person who is right handed at everything, I am a mish mash.

·
Super Moderator
19,179 Posts
For most things I am left handed but I am right eye dominate and shoot far better right handed. Your best bet will be trying either hand then stick with the one you shoot best with.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
RED (right eye dominant), RH (right handed) here and I agree there are many more options for pistols and holsters for right handed people. That being said if you are looking to carry a weapon that may be called upon to save your life someday I would go with the hand you shoot best with. Try right handed if you want but left handed seems like it is more natural for you. Good luck. I hope you always have it and never need it.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I write left handed, but I do a lot of stuff with both like painting, starting IVs, etc... most sports I go right dom.

I have very poor vision in my left eye. I try to use both eyes when shooting. Sometimes I even shoot without contacts.

I decided to learn to shoot right handed because thats the way most weapons are designed.

You can train to do either its just a matter of what comes natural and how you want to do it.

·
Registered
242 Posts
If you notice things you figure out on your own you do left handed, things society teaches at a very young age you do right handed. You are probably left dominate but were taught to do it the "right way".

As to which hand to use, go with the one you said you shoot best with. I see lefty, shoot lefty & carry lefty.

·
Registered
21,696 Posts
Hi guys, I made a post on my holster thread in another section of the forum, but thought it might be better to start a new thread about it.

My wife and I are new shooters, and took a class two weeks ago, and bought our first pistols last weekend. We have our concealed carry applications filled out and will go to the courthouse Friday to turn them in. I think the last two steps we need while we wait for our permits to come is to get holsters and gun belts. But before I order my holster, I need to figure out which hand I shoot better with.

I am left eye dominant, and I do some things lefty and some things righty, but not many ambidextrously.

For example, here are the things I do lefty: shoot pool, shoot rifles, use a screwdriver or hammer, and eat. The things I do righty are: throw, bat, kick, play golf, swing a bat, and write.

When we rented pistols last week, and in our beginner class the week before, it felt natural to shoot left handed. I did keep both eyes open, but used my left eye to sight.

But I do want to try right handed shooting because it seems like it would open up a lot more options of pistols for me to choose from when (not if) I buy more pistols!

Because my left eye is so dominant, I would have to cock my head funny to shoot right handed in order to get my left eye behind the sights, but Hickok45 and Nutnfancy do it, so it might actually work for me. I was practicing gripping and dry firing last night right handed, and it seems to work fine. I will try at the range this Friday with live ammo.

Is anyone else in this boat of being so confused? I am not the typical left eye dominant person who is right handed at everything, I am a mish mash.
I'm also left eye dominant, but I'm right handed. For long range shooting with my pistol I close my left eye.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
As a general rule you will shoot better matching your dominant eye with the same hand. That is, left dom eye, shoot with your left hand. Now that being said, most of us regularly practice shooting with both our "strong hand" and our weak hand. As others have recommended, try both. From your description, however, I suspect you will be better off shooting lefty. And as for choices in firearms, today, that is really pretty wide open regardless of which hand you shoot with.

Reactions: rcsoftexas

·
Registered
232 Posts

Gerald Ford was left-handed sitting down and right-handed standing up -- how's that for a confused brain!?

Jokes aside, my father could, and I can write and throw with ether hand. I can serve in tennis with either hand (an advantage on sunny outdoor courts), but like you I am left-eyed dominate.

In my case, my right eye is 20/200, so when it comes to batting or shooting, I have to go left-handed. When it comes to batting, I lose sight of the pitch when it crosses the plate (cover your eye to see what I mean); when it comes to shooting, I can't see a target with my right eye.

When it hits the fan, second best won't do, work arounds are second best.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Because my left eye is so dominant, I would have to cock my head funny to shoot right handed in order to get my left eye behind the sights, but Hickok45 and Nutnfancy do it, so it might actually work for me.
You don't move your head, you position the gun where it needs to be.

Shooting right handed would definitely make things easier and give you more options that will be easier to operate. But, if you really want to determine which hand is better I would suggest shooting one-handed with each hand. Shooting two handed (either way) probably won't show much difference - especially based on your situation. But, shooting one handed should amplify the difference between your 'good' hand and your 'bad' hand.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Do like I do and learn to shoot prolifically with both. You just dont know what situation you will be in when it comes to having to defend your love ones or yourself.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I've seen people new to competition shooting who were right handed but left eye dominant. They really struggled shooting with their right hand, but things went much better once they switched hands and re-learned the shooting part. So I guess my advice is to go with your left hand if you're left eye dominant.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've seen people new to competition shooting who were right handed but left eye dominant. They really struggled shooting with their right hand, but things went much better once they switched hands and re-learned the shooting part. So I guess my advice is to go with your left hand if you're left eye dominant.
Interesting. I'm a new shooter, left eye/right hand dominant. I do fine with both hands, but have a harder time shooting one handed righty. I've been trying canting the gun a bit, and/or tilting head. Neither really great. I haven't tried a different stance (use isosceles). I have tried left handed a few times, but there is a significant difference in strength, and steadiness. It was the worst overall.

Also, I've tried to keep my right eye open, but have found that very difficult.

Still trying to figure out what to do....

·
Registered
134 Posts
I am in the same situation as you. Most SD shooting are at a very close distance. Look at point shooting fundamentals where you only focus on the front sight for fast target alignment. With training and practice you can over come the x eyed dominance. Check out TRex arms on IG. Lucas is a very good shooter and is cross eye dominant. He has a few good posts on the subject. Wraith time,training and practice it should not be an issue. Good luck. Hold the course.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Frankly, I'd practice with both but focus on right handed. It's gives you more options, and ultimately you can train enough to be competent even if your right hand is very weak.

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
You can follow the above advice to determine which eye is dominant but you should practice shooting with both hands. You can then shoot from cover from either side and keep shooting if your dominant hand is injured.

·
Registered
202 Posts
As I'm ambidextrous, I'm left eye dominant, shoot two handed better with the right hand but, shoot one handed better with my left.

·
Premium Member
5,799 Posts

From someone else with a confused brain, take a bit of advise and practise both left and Right handed. You may find that skill useful some day. I split time at the range swapping hands. I also have to pick sides at several tasks. When I played football, I threw right handed, but I kicked left footed. I can golf or shoot a bow right or left, but must bowl righty. I attribute that to bowling balls on the rack all being made for you right handed people.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I shot about 35 rounds right handed and another 40 or so left handed. I shot equally well with either hand. Didn't shoot one handed thought, just flipped my hands around on the gun.

One thing I did notice is that I shot my wife's LC-9s better than my M&P 9c. These are the first pistols either of us have owned, so we also tried each other's out.

Another thing we noticed, it's easy to burn through 150 rounds pretty quickly!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I am left eye dominant and I have found it is easier to shoot everything (rifle, shotgun, handgun) left handed. Of course, that means that I also have to find left handed holsters and that can be a pain in the butt.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts