Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lots of guns and the small gun show I go to every year right before Easter. Lots of them
One that caught my interest was the Security-Six with 2-3/4" barrel. Everything was in nice shape but the bore. It looked like lots of bullets had gone down it. Plus it had some dark spots and what appeared to be pitting. Worse bore I've seen on a modern gun. Not sure what was up with that.

I also saw an old break barrel, nickel plated, hammerless S&W, but I don't know enough about those guns. Only that the price seemed low for the condition it was in, so I passed. That seller had a lot of nice older break barrels that seemed in too nice a condition. Including this Iver Johnson that had a tiny frame and grip and a six inch (?) barrel. Really odd looking for such a tiny gun.

A guy was walking around with an old Mosin Nagant slung over his shoulder that I checked out before we actually got into the show. We were leaving at the same time (imagine that :wink:) and I offered him two for it. So now I have a Tikka in M91 configuration to go with the rest of the clan :yup:

That Ruger is haunting me though. I don't understand the bore being so shot out and abused and the rest of the gun with light use.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
PAc, was the Ruger Security Six snubbie a stainless or blued model? Was the grime & "pitting" in only the barrel, or in the cylinders? How'd the forcing cone look? Any "flame cutting"? I ask because I've tried, without success, to run the literal GUTS outta' several Security Sixes. I will (personally, money-back) guarantee the frame to be intact. If you can get it for the right price? Send it back to Ruger for a re-barrel. :yup:

Reactions: PAcanis

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PAc, was the Ruger Security Six snubbie a stainless or blued model? Was the grime & "pitting" in only the barrel, or in the cylinders? How'd the forcing cone look? Any "flame cutting"? I ask because I've tried, without success, to run the literal GUTS outta' several Security Sixes. I will (personally, money-back) guarantee the frame to be intact. If you can get it for the right price? Send it back to Ruger for a re-barrel. :yup:
Everything you mentioned looked great with the exception of the barrel.
On an outside chance, and I don't even know if this is possible, if the bore had a heavy film of oil/lube in it and put away for a while... would it be possible to pick up dirt or dark spots that look like blemishes and pitting? It's not something I've seen, just spitballing because something was off.

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
Everything you mentioned looked great with the exception of the barrel.
On an outside chance, and I don't even know if this is possible, if the bore had a heavy film of oil/lube in it and put away for a while... would it be possible to pick up dirt or dark spots that look like blemishes and pitting? It's not something I've seen, just spitballing because something was off.
Yes, a heavy coat of oil can look like pitting and dark bore. Sometimes a clean patch will tell the real tale. Or it could be some kind of fouling, the patch would tell that too! I'm at a loss to what would cause pitting in an otherwise clean guns bore. If they were shooting corrosive ammo I'd expect to see the forcing cone and chambers in the same condition. If they were shooting undersized bullets and fouled the bore I'd expect to see that in the forcing cone too. But at this point we are just guessing.

being local, if you get another chance at it , Take along a bore brush and a clean patch or two. Good Luck. I'd have a hard time walking away from a 2.5" Security Six. DR

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, a heavy coat of oil can look like pitting and dark bore. Sometimes a clean patch will tell the real tale. Or it could be some kind of fouling, the patch would tell that too! I'm at a loss to what would cause pitting in an otherwise clean guns bore. If they were shooting corrosive ammo I'd expect to see the forcing cone and chambers in the same condition. If they were shooting undersized bullets and fouled the bore I'd expect to see that in the forcing cone too. But at this point we are just guessing.

being local, if you get another chance at it , Take along a bore brush and a clean patch or two. Good Luck. I'd have a hard time walking away from a 2.5" Security Six. DR
Hmm, maybe I'll head back with a small cleaning rod and patch in my pocket.
The bore itself wasn't dark, it was shiny aside from the dark spots. And the rifling didn't look as sharp as it could have.
Shoot. What to do, what to do...

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your asking an Enabler like me what to do? Good Luck! DR
Good thing it's a slow day here or there'd be a lot more enablers chiming in :tongue:

I'm going to give it to the end of this movie, then head back. I darn near asked the seller if he had a cleaning rod. I should have. Something in the back of my mind must have been telling me it might just be heavily oiled and stored for a long time.
We shall see... if it's still there.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Heck PAc, if it's stainless, I'll buy it sight-unseen...from HERE! :image035:

·
Premium Member
6,423 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Heck PAc, if it's stainless, I'll buy it sight-unseen...from HERE! :image035:
If GT doesn't, I will. I've got a 2-3/4" Security Six blued and a 2-3/4" Service Six stainless already. The Ruger "Sixes" are sweet.

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh sure. NOW you all show up and say to get it. Five minutes after the gun show ended.
Fortunately, I was there an hour ago :biggrin2:

I gave it another going over and asked the seller if he had something to clean the bore with. To see what those dark spots were. He looked in the barrel himself and complied, a bit surprised acting himself. He handed it back and the spots had become streaks. Yep, leading. That's all it was. The worse leading I've ever seen. He kept going after it with various stuff he had brought with him and the bore did get better. The lands became more pronounced. Things started shaping up. So we called it good and I bought it.

I've been working on it thirty minutes myself and it's getting there, but I decided to plug the barrel and let some Kroil go to work on it for a while. The lead remover I had just wasn't cutting it. Literally. It was just moving the streaking into different areas.

So what do you think? I think it's worth $475.
And I don't even want to tell you the prices he had on the Smith Model 36's he had there... blued, blued in box, nickel... I almost bought another just because :wink:

1983 according to Ruger's site.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
I think You will be very happy! While you are soaking Look up Lewis Lead Remover. It uses brass screens to cut the lead, and a Rubber stopper to push the brass out against the bore. Its about the most efficient lead remover I have found. I have never found any chemical that would remove lead. there are some chemicals that will clean up mild streaks but for real lead in the bore The Lewis tool is what has worked for me. Good Luck DR

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Richard.

Thanks for the tip of the Lewis, DR. Sounds like something good to have around.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Holy Smoke PAc!
I knew she'd shoot. You didn't tell me she was...beau-teeee-ful!
Very, VERY Well Bought! :congrats:

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Holy Smoke PAc!
I knew she'd shoot. You didn't tell me she was...beau-teeee-ful!
Very, VERY Well Bought! :congrats:
That's what was throwing me so much, Ghost. And why I needed some input from you enablers.
The rest of the gun was so nice I couldn't understand the bore. It was like my Mid-Range, beautiful on the outside, but someone didn't know what a bore brush was. Until that guy started scrubbing on it it resembled a barrel a squib or two had been shot out of with a little pitting in other areas.

And the whole house smells like Kroil :yup:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts