Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After many, many, many years of talking myself out of it, I finally broke down and got myself a 10mm, 2 in fact.

I have been a .40 S&W fan for over two and a half decades now. carried them on duty and off duty for 25 years until just a coupla years ago when I switched to 9mm and .45 ACP.

I often considered a 10mm, not for duty as they are/were never authorized for duty, but for the woods. I've always been an avid outdoorsman/hunter and I have usually carried .357 Magnums on my hip in the outdoors, but often I'd find myself out and about with whatever duty/off-duty .40 I had on my side that day. And I have always been O.K. with a .40 on my side in the outdoors. In my swamps the toughest thing we got is black bear and hogs. The .40 can easily handle either of them. In fact, over the years, my old G27 has taken care of some critter problems for me.

I was always under the impression that a good handloader could get the .40 right up there with a 10mm, so, as curious as I was about 10mm, I never got one.

I've been a handloader since my early teens. Over the years as I transitioned more towards semi-autos. Fairly recently I started souping up my duty guns in an attempt to find powerful "fanged critter medicine". I did O.K. with that too. I developed a load for my beloved .45 ACP pushing a 245 grain LTCFP at 940 fps. I developed a 9mm 147 grain LTCFP to 980 fps. Either one of those loads would give me more than enough penetration for my swamp dwelling critters.

Well, I'm heading to Yellowstone this October for a coupla weeks. This got me thinking about big critters. Now, I don't anticipate having a showdown with a Grizz, but, it got me thinking about it.

Uncharacteristic of me, I had a few extra coins laying around so I decided, what the heck, why not go get me that 10mm I always wanted to experiment with. So, I went out and got me a 10mm G20 that my local gun shop had in the display case. I was sure that my wife would be so happy that I had the foresight to buy a 10mm to save her from errant grizzlies on our Yellowstone trip. I'm a good husband like that!

Anyway, I got the G20 and a few boxes of Sellier and Bellot 180 gr JFP ammo. I mostly got the ammo for the cases because I had every intention of handloading for this gun.

Air gun Trigger Grey Wood Gun barrel

I went out and banged a coupla boxes to get the cases and I was really impressed with that G20. It shot softly and very accurately with those S&B 180's. They chronoed at 1167 fps BTW. Nice, about 150 fps faster than .40, but still underwhelming for a critter getter.

I headed straight to the reloading bench with those spent cases. Took me about three days of steady loading and testing but I found outdoor pistol nirvana.

My final results gave me:

155 gr XTP @ 1503 fps
180 gr XTP @ 1378 fps
175 gr home cast SWC @ 1300 fps
200 gr LTCFP (coated lead) @ 1282 fps

I had so much fun with this 10mm that I figured Mrs Bigsteve113 could only be happier, and feel all fuzzier and safer, if I ran out and got a G29, so I could CC it easier on me in Yellowstone (you know, in case a Grizzly picks up our scent and follows us into town into a restaurant at night).

Man I dig this G29. Both the G20 and G29 are super accurate, neither has had a hiccup and both shoot much softer than all the 10mm hype I've read about. BTW, those G29 numbers with those handloads came in at:

155 gr XTP @ 1450 fps
180 gr XTP @ 1277 fps
175 gr home cast SWC @ 1270 fps
200 gr LTCFP (coated lead) @ 1193 fps

Life is good !! These 10mm's are a handloaders dream. I've only begun to play with them. These loads were easily achieved and there are absolutely no signs of excessive pressure. In fact I could push them more (except for the 155 XTP, I feelit's maxed, at least with the powders I got). But, I had a goal of 155 gr @ 1500 fps, 180 gr @ 1300 fps and 200 gr @ 1200 fps. All these goals were achieved easily and safely, so I think I'm gonna stick with this.

BTW, I've been wrong all these years. 10mm ain't .40 S&W.... with the right handloads!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,506 Posts
Glad you finally got your woods gun. 10 mm. mighty effective round.
For me I would like a .44 magnum revolver to go along with my .44 magnum Henry Lever rifle.
Always wanted to backpack Yellowstone. Maybe someday. That and the Appalachian Trail are on my bucket list

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Nice. I think it's funny that people think that the G20 won't handle full power loads. For dangerous game I have 180gr Buffalo Bore at ~1300fps and some of the original Norma 200gr TCFP's at ~1200fps.
i always thought the glock 20 was probably the most robust and most capable of handling the heavy 10mm loads.

i do not know about the newer 1911's.....but the colt delta had some problems out the gate.....cracking rails i think....

·
Registered
15,726 Posts
i always thought the glock 20 was probably the most robust and most capable of handling the heavy 10mm loads.

i do not know about the newer 1911's.....but the colt delta had some problems out the gate.....cracking rails i think....
The "modern" 1911's have improved on the Delta. Where the rail cracked was a stresspoint. removing the little chunk of rail over the slide stop hole solves the issue.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You want soft shooting, shoot some 40's in them.
I have. A bunch. I had researched about shooting .40 S&W out of stock Glock (and other) 10mm barrels. So being the tinkerer I am, I have to check it out. I shot a bunch of various .40 S&W ammo through both the G20 and G29. 180’s, 165’s and 155’s. JFP’s and HP’s. Not one malfunction. All extremely soft shooting and accurate. I meant to post that in my initial post but forgot. Thanks Bad Bob for bringing it up.

I also tested them both with WML’s shooting 10mm and .40’s. Good-to-go with either. Something I can’t say for GLOCKs actual .40 S&W models.

The ability to reliably shoot .40 S&W in addition to 10mm is what finally pushed me to get into these guns. I always had the fear of finding myself on a hunting trip somewhere and running out of ammo and not being able to find 10mm ammo. Which is a pretty ridiculous fantasy, as I always over pack ammo when I go somewhere. And here lately 10mm would probably be easier to find than 9mm!

·
Registered
5,748 Posts
I think that I still have some old Speer Blazer loads, 200gr FMJFP at ~1000fps. Fairly soft shooting and very accurate through my G20. When I started seeing reloading components a few months ago, I picked up a box of 200gr XTP's to load. I have some loaded with a decent starting load of Blue Dot that I have to test before I load more. Should give ~1150fps.

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts

Springfield XDM is a great option. Fully supported chamber.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Composite material

·
Registered
407 Posts
I was looking at one of the XDM's to carry on hunts. After barrowing one from a friend, I decided it wasn't the right fit (the grip is too big for my hand). Is the grip on the G20/29 as thick as the XDM? May have to stick with/get a 1911 model instead (prefer a single-stack).

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
I was looking at one of the XDM's to carry on hunts. After barrowing one from a friend, I decided it wasn't the right fit (the grip is too big for my hand). Is the grip on the G20/29 as thick as the XDM? May have to stick with/get a 1911 model instead (prefer a single-stack).
The grip on the G20 feels larger than the XDm to me.

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
The XDM is my first and only 10mm, but I am looking to add a 1911 soon!

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Definitely seems like handloading is necessary. Id be bummed to buy a G20 and then get some basic factory ammo and have 40S&W velocity.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Definitely seems like handloading is necessary. Id be bummed to buy a G20 and then get some basic factory ammo and have 40S&W velocity.
No doubt. If I wasn't a handloader I probably would not have gotten a 10mm. There are good, full power loads out there, but they're pricey. Most good ones are like $2.00 a round. Too rich for my blood.

In comparison. My local woods bumming load is that 175 gr LSWC @ 1300 fps. Since I cast that bullet, and have the brass, those cost me about $3.00 for a box of 50.

My street load will be that 180 gr XTP @ 1378 fps. I can make those for about $19.00 for a box of 50.

Reactions: LimaCharlie

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
22,080 Posts
My 10mm collection.

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

The Colt Delta Elites are loaded with Winchester Silvertip 175 grain. The 6 1/2" Ruger Super Redhawk and the Springfield Armory TRP Operators are loaded with either Buffalo Bore or Underwood 180 grain JHP.

·
Super Moderator
20,163 Posts
I have. A bunch. I had researched about shooting .40 S&W out of stock Glock (and other) 10mm barrels. So being the tinkerer I am, I have to check it out. I shot a bunch of various .40 S&W ammo through both the G20 and G29. 180’s, 165’s and 155’s. JFP’s and HP’s. Not one malfunction. All extremely soft shooting and accurate. I meant to post that in my initial post but forgot. Thanks Bad Bob for bringing it up.

I also tested them both with WML’s shooting 10mm and .40’s. Good-to-go with either. Something I can’t say for GLOCKs actual .40 S&W models.

The ability to reliably shoot .40 S&W in addition to 10mm is what finally pushed me to get into these guns. I always had the fear of finding myself on a hunting trip somewhere and running out of ammo and not being able to find 10mm ammo. Which is a pretty ridiculous fantasy, as I always over pack ammo when I go somewhere. And here lately 10mm would probably be easier to find than 9mm!
I'm curious about accuracy with the .40s fired from a 10mm chamber. Most modern pistol rounds are rimless (or nearly so) and headspace on the case mouth. The .40 case is about 0.070" shorter than the 10mm case, so it must be held in place by the extractor, which certainly has to be a less precise fit than the case mouth in the chamber.

I also wonder if carbon would build up at the chamber ahead of the shorter cartridge, as can happen when .357 revolvers are fed a lot of .38 Specials.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts