Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking for a good used makarov for some time now after hearing nothing but good things about them. I finally found a nice one yesterday in a small gunshop. Its a polish made P-64 and I found out that its a military surplus from 1967 that has never been fired. I didnt have much time for the range today but I did go down to put a few mags through it. The thing is smooth and is more accurate than I was expecting. I'll try to get some pics on here and give a better range report when I get more time but from what I can tell so far this is a great little pistol. :hand10:

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Looking forward to the pictures :yup:

I've heard so many good things about them for years...I may have to look for one pretty soon :image035:

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
I have heard good things about them as well, I did get to shoot that exact one when I took my CCW class and it was like butter. I think my instructor has several for sale at under $200.00 bucks. I might give one a try too.

Post a pic when you can.

Ti

·
Banned
318 Posts
Errrr...um....now maybe I got my model numbers crossed but I didn't think a P-64 was a true Makarov?

I thought this one was a more compact design of polish origin so to speak. or am I thinking of something else?

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
looks like it is a P64 shootiing the 9mm Mak round, an FFL had some for sale and posted them as,

Polish Makarov P64 9MM Makarov Caliber (9x18) $139.95 ( 2 or more... $129.95 ea.) Two magazines included. Unissued… Beautiful… and NEVER imported to the U.S. before! These are very rare pistols and are sure thing for collectors. These are new condition pistols in powerful 9x18 caliber. RETAIL: $279.00

Edited to add link: http://hem.passagen.se/dadkri/P-64.htm some good info about this model.

Ti.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
BigEd63 said:
Errrr...um....now maybe I got my model numbers crossed but I didn't think a P-64 was a true Makarov?

I thought this one was a more compact design of polish origin so to speak. or am I thinking of something else?
you are correct sir! a P-64 is a gun that shoots Makarov caliber ammo, 9x18. I don't know about the P-64, looks like a decent gun but I do have 3 Makarovs, Bulgarian models and they all look pretty much the same. The P-64 is a little bit smaller I believe. Here is a comparison:

More info about Makarovs can be found here:

http://www.makarov.com/makfaq.html

or about the P-64 here:
http://p64.home.insightbb.com/main.htm

·
Registered
12 Posts
A P64 is not a Makarov (A Soviet designed and issued side arm chambered in 9x18 and its east bloc clones manufactured in Bulgaria, East Germany and China). The P64 is a different design that chambers the same 9x18 round. That said, many folks seem to really like the P64's, downside is that spare parts and extra mags seem non existant.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I have an East German Mak and a double stack Russian that I like. I keep one in my tackle box and the other in the locked toolbox on my truck. They are fun little guns, but they are strictly for back up.

·
Registered
10,807 Posts
Correct, the P64 is not a Makarov pistol, but fires 9mm Makarov (9X18) ammo. It is strange that not all pistols that fire the 9X18 are Makarovs and not all Makarovs fire the 9X18.

Russian Makarov in 9X18 single stack.

Bulgarian Makarov in .380ACP

The term Makarov is used to refer to two distinctly different things. One is the caliber of the firearm: 9X18mm is called Makarov. Two is the pistol. Makarov pistols as far as I know all have Makarov on the pistol itself and except for the Russian double stack all parts are interchangable. Makarov pistols were made only in Bulgaria, China, East Germany, and Russia. Pistols firing 9mm Makarov ammo were also made in Hungary and Poland.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
One more comparison pic - re the Mak - this one has a Russian marking tho imported as Bulgy.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Grips? Well that gun came in a (crummy Eastern Block!) box which contained those grips. Nothing special like Pearce - just a supplied option. Most I guess don't come with spare grips.

I didn't like the brown jobs with the star and fitted these on straight away - they look better IMO and feel way better - idea feel for me.

·
Registered
10,807 Posts
Let me be the first to go back after explaining that a P64 is not a Mak and say that the P64 is a pretty good little pistol. It is a little different in styling from a Mak. This pistol and the Hungarian FEG PA63 are both chambered for the Makarov round and can be fine performers.

For more info on both Maks and on P64s and FEG PA63 go to http://www.makarov.com/index.html There is a wealth of info there. For specific info on non-Maks such as P64 and PA63 click on the Other Pistols link on the left side of the screen. This provides specific info on other pistols chambered for the Mak round.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
P95Carry said:
Grips? Well that gun came in a (crummy Eastern Block!) box which contained those grips. Nothing special like Pearce - just a supplied option. Most I guess don't come with spare grips.

I didn't like the brown jobs with the star and fitted these on straight away - they look better IMO and feel way better - idea feel for me.
I think they are a copy of Simson Suhl grips. Simson Suhl grips are marked on the inside, "made in Germany" and use the same (or similar) design as the ones you have, somewhat desirable for Mak collectors.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Is it difficult to find the Mak 9 x 18 ammo? Is it mostly CommBloc surplus?

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Rick - I use the Barnaul stuff and when I got the last lot (probably thru makarov.com IIRC) - it was quite easily available.

Not sure right now of course but - anyways, the steel cased stuff runs 100% in mine.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Team American said:
Is it difficult to find the Mak 9 x 18 ammo? Is it mostly CommBloc surplus?
hasn't been a problem for me in Oklahoma, I get mine at Brigadoon Mil Surp store, always have a plentiful supply there. Also readily available at the shows that come thru. I mostly use Brown Bear brand, comes in 95 and 115 grain IIRC and is non-reloadable bimetal case with a non-corrosive primer. I have used Wolf brand but it seems to be "dirtyer", others may disagree. There are also other brands which I have not tried but may someday, Fiocchi , and B&S and MFS. Brown Bear sells for 7.25 per 50, have seen some for 5.50 or so at the shows. Some gun ranges (indoor type) will not let you shoot the bi-metal, they will run a magnet over your box and if it sticks to it, its unusable there, so find out beforehand!

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
i got a p64. it is a good gun. the p64 is not a mak, it is a copy of the ppk. find an old ppk and you can see that the p64 is a copy of it. the p64 even breaks down the same as the ppk. they are not bad gun for 139.00 +or-. i think i got my p64 for around 100.00. have had it for approximately two years and it came with two mags. one had the same serial number as the gun.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Should be a great little shooter....can't believe it hasn't been fired in al those years!!! Enjoy.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts