Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Turned 21 a few weeks ago and I was finally able pick up my CW permit today! I'm pumped. :danceban:

Any words of advice from you experienced carriers?

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Congratulations!! Apply all the safety rules at all times. Try to get some professional training and practice as much as possible. Get a good holster and gun belt and stay safe.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Congratulations!! Apply all the safety rules at all times. Try to get some professional training and practice as much as possible. Get a good holster and gun belt and stay safe.
Couldnt agree more. Congrats and welcome to the nationwide club.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Remember; holding the power of life and death in your hands is a grate responsibility.

Now that you can carry avoid trouble and only use your firearm to protect and defend.

Stay SA and use good judgment and keep your cool.

I only wished I could have started carrying when I was 21.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Remember; holding the power of life and death in your hands is a grate responsibility.

Now that you can carry avoid trouble...
Great point! It doesnt take much to get it revoked. I know since i got mine a couple years ago that im that much more restrained and avoid situations at all costs, that and im 31 years old and dont need to be acting dumb anymore (or very minimally)

·
Super Moderator
50,597 Posts
Congrats! PA is now a little bit safer.:yup::hand10::hand10:

·
Registered
398 Posts
Good job, train train train, learn your gun(s) carry safely and let that weapon become a part of your body, do your research, any questions you have can be answered here there are a lot of knowledgeable people on here

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Welcome and congrats! I feel safer already.

Advice? hmmmmm... Know your local laws and keep your emotions in check. That is really all there is to it.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Congrats on the new permit and turning 21... :congrats:

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
Congratulations ! You now have the ability to take a life ,with this right I hope we don't hear about some 21 year old was arrested for doing damngerous acts with a firearm.You are an exception
make us proud !!! Good luck with your ccw.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Congrats on turning 21 & the arrival of your carry permit! Be safe.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Turned 21 a few weeks ago and I was finally able pick up my CW permit today! I'm pumped. :danceban:

Any words of advice from you experienced carriers?
Happy belated birthday, and congrats.
My advice: Be alert, the world needs more lerts.
A valuable lesson my mom taught me. :hand5:

·
Registered
60 Posts
A few from common sense and things I've picked up here:

1. Whenever you are armed you should always be "condition yellow." There may not be a specific threat, but you expect something might happen at any time and keep an eye out for things that identify a specific threat.
2. Always carry with a round in the chamber. If you have to see a threat, assess the threat, then draw, rack, and fire, you will be too slow. Even without racking your chances of surviving the threat are not good without training.
3. You are the weapon, the gun is a tool. I think it is important to carry other tools (knife, flashlight, etc)
4. Practice some hand to hand techniques, especially for gun retention in case someone tries to take it from you
5. Always practice the way you want to perform
6. Dry-fire practice is just as important as time actually shooting. Make sure you can draw, present, and holster your weapon efficiently
7. Practice gun clearing drills so you're prepared for a malfunction
8. Carry an extra mag whenever possible
9. Being aware of your situation is the most important thing!!!
10. Know when you can legally shoot and mentally prepare yourself with scenarios so you don't have to hyper-analyze in the moment
11. Concealed is concealed!!!
12. If you have to leave your firearm in your car, make sure it is locked and out of site. It is best to put it where you want it before you get to your destination, rather than showing a watchful criminal right where to find it

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the advice, guys.

For the past few weeks, I've been practicing being more SA and trying to get a feel for how I should handle myself while carrying.

One of my big concerns is making sure that it stays concealed. I've got a G23, so it won't be the easiest thing to tuck away. I've got an IWB holster on the way, so we'll see how that does.

·
Registered
934 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Congrats!! :35:

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
And the clan grows ever stronger! Congrats and be safe. Your right of passage is chronologically complete that's the easy part. Now you get to spend the next 50 years living up to, developing and demonstrating the maturity imbued buy the title "adult"... Soldier on and make the clan proud.
I was raised and lived in central PA but moved to TN 18 years ago. The state used to have a strong firearms heritage with many gun clubs where you could practice and get good advice. I don't know about today but if these opportunities still exist take advantage of them. I did and still miss some good friends made during those years.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Congrats ! Now as others have had said, follow the rules, keep a cool head, get some good training & practice what you learn. Get a good holster and belt & stay safe. Carrying a gun is a great responsibility with potential grave consequences for any mistakes made. HAPPY BIRTHDAY !!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts