Defensive Carry banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally seem to be getting back in the groove after a winter of not picking up my bow. These were at 20 yards this morning. Need to stretch it out to 40 yards.

·
Premium Member
4,542 Posts
That will put meat on the table. Nicely done sir.

Reactions: G26Raven

·
Registered
8,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That will put meat on the table. Nicely done sir.
Thanks. I have bow hunted for six years and have yet to kill anything with my bow. I have had six opportunities, but have managed to muff five of them, and the sixth was two cow elk in bow range when I did not have a tag. Fortunately, I am better with a rifle and shotgun. But I keep trying....

Reactions: ctr

·
Premium Member
1,231 Posts
Well, it is apparent that you are ready, even if you haven't had the correct opportunity yet - as JW said, "That's good shootin'!"

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Looks like some great shooting G26Raven! Better watch those nocks!;)

Shooting 3D targets completely changed my deer hunting success with a bow. I too shot low, shot high, hit limbs, etc,. etc. until I started practicing and shooting 3D. What several of my friends and I did was build an elevated stand in one friends back yard. Then several of us bowhunters all brought our 3d targets and would meet up after work. We would usually start the weekend after July 4th. One guy would climb up in a tree and the others would move the targets around and pull arrows. We would make some shots easy, some hard and some were just simply not a possible killing shot. Of course afterwards we would all enjoy a beer or two and talk about the upcoming season. It was a great time for us guys to get away, relax and it really did build your confidence.

·
Registered
8,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Shooting 3D targets completely changed my deer hunting success with a bow. I too shot low, shot high, hit limbs, etc,. etc. until I started practicing and shooting 3D. What several of my friends and I did was build an elevated stand in one friends back yard. Then several of us bowhunters all brought our 3d targets and would meet up after work. We would usually start the weekend after July 4th. One guy would climb up in a tree and the others would move the targets around and pull arrows. We would make some shots easy, some hard and some were just simply not a possible killing shot. Of course afterwards we would all enjoy a beer or two and talk about the upcoming season. It was a great time for us guys to get away, relax and it really did build your confidence.
Sounds like a fun way to practice! Tree stands are not commonly used around here, since most hunting is done on public land. My hunting buddy/mentor has used them in the past and I finally bought one, but last year we did not put one up in the area we hunted. I am not a big fan of ladders or heights, so when we do put mine up it's not going to be at a particularly elevated height!

Reactions: Tundra5.7

·
Registered
22 Posts

Great for you! Guess we can try 3D targets the next time. Might get a chance to join my uncle and his buddies hunting next week when we finished installing the parts from 4Wheelonline onto the truck.

·
Registered
34,621 Posts
I got into bow hunting while stationed in GA and WA. Never was a great shot but did manage to bag one buck--in Utah of all places. Also shot a javelina on the run in AZ. Always seemed to see more game while bow hunting, not necessarily in range though.

If hunting were much of an option here, I'd like to get back into it, but these shoulders would not stand up to it. So my old Martin compound spends its time in a case in the closet.

·
Premium Member
4,542 Posts
I got into bow hunting while stationed in GA and WA. Never was a great shot but did manage to bag one buck--in Utah of all places. Also shot a javelina on the run in AZ. Always seemed to see more game while bow hunting, not necessarily in range though.

If hunting were much of an option here, I'd like to get back into it, but these shoulders would not stand up to it. So my old Martin compound spends its time in a case in the closet.
I sold my bows off years ago. Was a traditional bow hunter. Truth be told, I’m a muzzleloader at heart.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Oh. When I saw “Groups” I just assumed you were talking ANTIFA of BLM. My bad.

·
Registered
34,621 Posts
I sold my bows off years ago. Was a traditional bow hunter. Truth be told, I’m a muzzleloader at heart.
I would have never guessed.

That or a descendent of Daniel Boone.

Reactions: ctr and G26Raven

·
Premium Member
4,542 Posts

·
Registered
34,621 Posts
Reactions: ctr and G26Raven
1 - 14 of 14 Posts