Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a very difficult time finding a self defense criminal defense attorney that I can have a relationship with and have their telephone number in my phone in case I need their help after a self defense shooting.

I live in Lenexa, Kansas which is on the Kansas side of the Kansas City metro. An attorney in Kansas City Missouri would need to be licensed to practice in Kansas.

I have asked my range and local gun stores for their recommendations - they had none.

Gun Owner's of America had one recommendation in Wichita, Kansas which is 3 1/2 hours away.

The Second Amendment Foundation had one recommendation in my immediate area but they never returned my phone calls or email.

The Kansas State Rifle Association had no recommendations.

My shooting friends don't carry so they don't understand it is a good idea to have an attorney that you can call.

I don't know if calling the Kansas Bar Association to ask for referrals would help.

I wouldn't think this should be so difficult. I would appreciate any help or ideas the DC folks could give me.

Thanks, Bill

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Perhaps contact Andrew Branca, or maybe the Armed Citizen's Legal Defense Network? Maybe they can recommend someone...

·
Premium Member
33,780 Posts

·
Registered
Various
15,546 Posts
I belong to a gun club with several attorneys as members. I asked them who they would call if they had to use a gun for self-defense.

·
Registered
8,098 Posts
When I took an SD law class, it was put on by a law firm that specialized in all kinds of gun cases. The advice we were given was to find the best criminal defense attorney possible and one that has a good relationship with the local PD and prosecutor's office. The people teaching the course said any good criminal defense attorney will know SD law. It goes with the territory. Also, you want someone who is responsive. Someone who can get onsite or get a colleague onsite, quickly, 24/7/365. A good attorney can do more when the scene is still active and everyone's memory is recent.

So those three factors are more important than anything else.

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You have to be a member of ACLDN to get an attorney name from their list. If I was going to choose a prepaid legal service a good chance it would be ACLDN.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
You could call the two lawyers in Lenexa and Wichita and ask if they have any recommendations in your area. If they specialize in Self Defense, they probably know other lawyers that specialize as well.

By the way, who is the lawyer in Wichita?

·
Registered
188 Posts
BillG174 you've got incoming.

·
Registered
214 Posts
After being a LEO for the past 33+ years I decided to join "US Law Shield" because you can email the attorney's local to your area with specific questions and they will often call you back and discuss the issues you have questions about. I have no relationship with the company other than I use their coverage in the event of a SD incident. I find the rates very good if you consider the possibility of cost should you actually become involved in an SD incident. There are other options but I can't speak 1st hand about them. The cost of legal representation after an incident can quickly become overwhelming.

·
Registered
508 Posts
You could call the two lawyers in Lenexa and Wichita and ask if they have any recommendations in your area. If they specialize in Self Defense, they probably know other lawyers that specialize as well.

By the way, who is the lawyer in Wichita?
I have to agree. Odds are the guy in Wichita and or the one in Emporia might have a reference up in the KC area, whether its Lenexa, Olathe, OP, Shawnee, etc. Heck, there might even be one hiding in Gardner or Edgerton.

I'm also with Psycho41... who was it in Wichita?

·
Premium Member
1,320 Posts
Bill,

First, I am not an attorney. Second, I work with attorneys as an expert witness in commercial disputes. I hang around and feed off of litigators. By the way, they are from the species "gator". You do not need to know a gun rights attorney. You need to know a criminal defense attorney. There are plenty in KCK. By the way, I do know that many lawyers that practice near state boundaries are often licensed in both states, especially in cities that are divided by a state line. Furthermore, out-state attorneys can practice in your state if they apply to the court for your case. Its called Pro Hac Vice. If you wish to put a criminal defense attorney on retainer, then you should ask around the courthouse as to who is often retained in criminal court. Read the local news. Who is often representing people and winning. You should interview various attorneys, select one and put him/her on retainer. Just having a name in your phone is insufficient because the attorney may not take your call. Having an attorney on retainer, he/she will have to take your call. This is the idea behind the various firearm-related legal service firms that want you to pay monthly subscription fees. You can use one of these services if you are arrested to help you get bailed out. Afterwards, you can hire any criminal defense attorney you want.

I hope this information helps.

One

·
Registered
5,974 Posts
My work duty's had me working around the court house. I asked around the lawyers and clerks and two names came up regularly. One has since passed away I carry the others card in my wallet. Both were Criminal defense lawyers. Both had good relationships with the court, staff, the police, bail bondsmen, and at the jail.

The kind of people I ask are those working around the courts but not directly related to the lawyers. And I asked if a family member need a lawyer who would they want for them. What was surprising was some of the high profile names that they all agreed I should avoid!
Good Luck. DR

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
I have to echo @OneGunTX and @dangerranger The person you're looking for is the best criminal defense attorney in your area. This notion that you need someone who "specializes" in 2nd Amendment law is missing the point.

If you have to defend yourself with lethal force, the laws that will make or break you are not 2nd Amendment issues, they are Penal Code issues. Look for the best criminal defense attorney in your area and place them on retainer.

Reactions: rotorhead1026

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
I am having a very difficult time finding a self defense criminal defense attorney that I can have a relationship with and have their telephone number in my phone in case I need their help after a self defense shooting.

I live in Lenexa, Kansas which is on the Kansas side of the Kansas City metro. An attorney in Kansas City Missouri would need to be licensed to practice in Kansas.

I have asked my range and local gun stores for their recommendations - they had none.

Gun Owner's of America had one recommendation in Wichita, Kansas which is 3 1/2 hours away.

The Second Amendment Foundation had one recommendation in my immediate area but they never returned my phone calls or email.

The Kansas State Rifle Association had no recommendations.

My shooting friends don't carry so they don't understand it is a good idea to have an attorney that you can call.

I don't know if calling the Kansas Bar Association to ask for referrals would help.

I wouldn't think this should be so difficult. I would appreciate any help or ideas the DC folks could give me.

Thanks, Bill
2A attorneys seem to be hard to come by unless you subscribe to something like USCCA where they have a 24/7 "rapid response team". I'm sure other insurance outfits have a similar setup.

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks to all of you that posted great and helpful information. I appreciate your help. Bill

1 - 18 of 18 Posts