Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see Chicago expressway shootings on the news. They have a string of cop walking a grouped line looking for shell casings. I thought they are looks for the hammer strike marks. Then I was watching tv & they had an episode where their looking for fingerprints on the shell casing. All this time, with over 40 expressway shootings, I had it all wrong.

·
Super Moderator
18,790 Posts
I see Chicago expressway shootings on the news. They have a string of cop walking a grouped line looking for shell casings. I thought they are looks for the hammer strike marks. Then I was watching tv & they had an episode where their looking for fingerprints on the shell casing. All this time, with over 40 expressway shootings, I had it all wrong.

Hah, is that an unfortunate choice of words?

Your last sentence could almost convict you of being the culprit.

Interesting question. I'm not well-versed on criminal investigation. I would have assumed that they seek the cartridge cases as evidence primarily for the purpose of effecting a future match-up with a gun in the event that they are able to secure one that may have been used in the crime.

I don't know if fingerprints may be lifted off of fired cartridge cases. I'd be surprised that was an effective way to secure prints. Perhaps others will chime in.

·
Super Moderator
18,050 Posts
They do it all the time on TV so it must be true. Seriously when you consider the small area afforded to leave a print I would think all you could get would be a partial to small to compare to prints on file.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Obiejuan, I assume you're referring to the latest one around 11:00 last night on the Kennedy. They had the expressway closed while they searched for the casing but never found one. When I hear of these Xpressway shooting I often wonder if the time they spend looking for evidence ever proves to be fruitful. These gang shootings have become so common place that the biggest concern for a lot of folks is how this is going to screw up my commute to or from work.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Have to agree with this. Wife and I went through a citizens police academy and had the opportunity to learn how they do this. I was surprised with what all you can find.

·
Registered
14,264 Posts
Fingerprints are one of the many things examined. Tool marks, such as the primer strike, scratches in the case from loading/unloading, make of the case, caliber. Finger prints only count if you have enough and then have one to compare it too. The Hollywood, get a partial get a match is fantasy.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
There are a lot of different factors that come into play on that. For example getting a decent comparable print off a .22 or .25 casing is like hitting the lottery. There typically just isn't enough surface area. Many times the spent casings will fall in a wet greasy/oily roadway that makes it more difficult to obtain usable latent lifts. Like Bad Bob said above, tool marks, primer strikes, on casings can be used to match against other crimes that you may have a suspect or information on. This happens more frequently IME, particularly when it is gang related, because they will often use the same guns in multiple crimes. To echo what Bad Bod said above, lifting a print and plugging it into AFIS and solving the crime in a hour episode doesn't happen in the real world! Just my .02 worth!

Reactions: Bad Bob

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
CPD has a list of the 1800 criminals who cause 87% of the violent crime in Chicago. So, they have a pretty tight population of suspects and have created a very comprehensive database of forensic evidence connected to the above mentioned cretins. So, based on shell casing evidence they are able to tie multiple crimes together and when the finally get the matching Glock .40 (the preferred tool of the trade in Chicago) and if the Glock happens to be in the possession of a still alive human being...they have a case.If the idiot is dead and they have the weapon...the can close out the connected cases.

Reactions: Bad Bob

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
I've always expected prints to be found on loaded ammo.
But you would think any oils would be burned off by ignition.
I guess not.

·
Super Moderator
18,144 Posts
I know guy that tosses you a cartridge every time you walk into his shop. He'll introduce himself if he doesn't know you and then and then at some point in time, he'll chunk one at you.

Without thinking you'll catch it and then he'll say " Ah ha...I've got you now" while laughing and then sticks it in plastic bag and writes your name on it.

He'd had lots of interesting conversations that way.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
My ammo was traced back to a Hornady employee. I always KNEW there was something shady about her. :yup:

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Whether one can lift a print from the casing or not, no one would have found even a partial on the empties I may have had to leave on the ground for many years.

An leo came into the shop one day having issues with his glock. I believed it was a mag issue, so I took all the bullets out of the mag and loaded them into a new mag. We discovered, as I suspected, it was the mag. I grabbed a cloth and wipes all the cartridges down, and he asked what I was doing that for. He was taken aback when I told him I wasn't about to have my prints on his spent casings in a worst case scenario.

Err on the side of caution, if the print isn't there, it can't be checked for any number of points match.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
Err on the side of caution, if the print isn't there, it can't be checked for any number of points match.
I don't have many left because I worked in the brick trades for 10+ years.....mine are all worn off. Took me months to get my Florida CHL and over 10 scans in Ohio to finally get a thumb and pinky finger to get my CHL.

So, I'll load your mags for ya!! :wave:

Reactions: Bad Bob and AzQkr

·
Registered
281 Posts
Great advances have been made in 'touch DNA' analysis and they are ongoing.

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
Here .... load my mag for me, will ya ? LOL

Actually, the smart ones use revolvers.... so there is no casing left behind.

Reactions: Blue Thunder

·
Registered
461 Posts
Call me paranoid but I have always loaded my carry ammo with a glove. I also wipe down any weapon I handle that isn't mine or doesn't stay with me. I have got some weird looks at gun shows and gun shops and such as I carry a silicone wipe rag with me for just this reason. Old timers seem to understand :wink:..I also have a nice tinfoil hat, but that's another subject......:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts