Defensive Carry banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Photos show expansion. From a 4" barrel semi-auto, fired 10 yards away, into a mound of tightly packed soil. Not bad I'd say.

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
You have a couple of fantastic photos! I'm seeing jacket tearing and lead piling up, rather than the "mushroom" look when I see an expanding round hit soft tissue. I think it's difficult to gather data from a JHP hitting a solid medium. Targets of defensive shootings are 90% water.

I like Fiocchi ammo. I shoot lots of 9mm and .45 fmj. It's a very consistent performer, and I got it at a great price.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Not to rain on your parade, but I'm not sure what shooting a FMJ into a pile of dirt is going to prove other than it deforms (not expands) when it hits a solid. Human flesh is vastly different than well packed soil.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Fiocchi 9mm 115 gr. FMJ expansion
Better than you could ever hope for in a critical encounter.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
The dirt never stood a chance.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Not to rain on your parade, but I'm not sure what shooting a FMJ into a pile of dirt is going to prove other than it deforms (not expands) when it hits a solid. Human flesh is vastly different than well packed soil.
Consider what any bullet FMJ or otherwise does when it hits anything solid. Hitting dirt shows the effect of an object in this case a projectile, at high velocity. It doesn't nicely mushroom but does tear and sometimes fragment meanwhile still traveling, even cavatating by shear momentum.

Fiocchi 9mm 115 gr FMJ has a muzzle velocity of 1260 fps. Say you get shot in the pelvic region or another large bone mass. 1260 fps equates to 859.09 MPH! If you got hit by a car at that speed, there wouldn't be enough left of you to pick up without a wet/dry vacuum.

The sectional density and mass of a bullet of course is far less than a car but no car travels anywhere near that fast so a small projectile would still do considerable damage to bone. Like the energizer bunny, because of momentum (Mass x Velocity) it would keep going.

Once fragmented, there would be significant damage to surrounding soft tissue. Though the wound cavity might not be uniform as with an HP round, FMJ is certainly capable of causing enough damage to kill.

Reactions: InVegas

·
Premium Member
36,723 Posts
You otta see what the steel plate does to every fmj I send its way, regardless of caliber or manufacturer.

Reactions: SIGP250 and Ianthin

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I found the Fiocchi 9mm 115 gr. FMJ ammo to be a very good and surprising;ly clean during range ammo.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I sought to prove nothing. I'm a photo geek & wanted to see an expended round. Yes, human flesh is vastly different...but I couldn't bring myself to firing into some, since there were no bad guys around.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts