Defensive Carry banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local gunshop is advertising buy all the ammo you want in 9mm and 45 while supplies last for Fiocchi Blue Guardian Frangible ammo. So I found a detailed video demonstrating what this is about - I had never heard of it before. The bullet is not lead, it is a mix of copper and tin, and instead of ricocheting it crumbles.

Any opinions on this? I do like the aspect of reducing or removing the possibility of a ricochet with a deadly projectile.

This is a personal choice, but I'd be willing to reduce lethality if it meant that the chance of injury to innocents is reduced.

They also make .380, .40 S&W, .223 45 gr., .223 55 gr., and .300 BL .

Here's the press release with some details: (Jan 21, 2021):

Fiocchi to Introduce Blue Guardian Lead-Free Defense and Training Ammo | Fiocchi Ammunition

And here's the video demonstrating both pistol (9) and rifle:

·
Premium Member
4,579 Posts
They will probably sell many of them simply because they have them to sell. It will be interesting to see how they perform in the real world.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Depends on the cost... Sometimes I just like to send projectiles downrange... Oh they need to be fairly accurate of course, but mostly just time with my babies.....

·
Registered
926 Posts
Frangible ammo is good for training on steel targets mostly. Can be beneficial for apartment dwellers where over penetration is a concern.

I'll stick with traditional hollow points.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I am authorized to carry on all our school campus's. When the school board decided to allow staff to carry they made a rule that we all carry frangible ammo. I don't know the actual specs, but range testing proved it will stop a threat.

Reactions: TimBob

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Its great for close range steel target. I've used Fiocchi frangible for a quite a while. I would think it would make a good enough self defense round at very close range which in reality is probably the most likely situation I'll ever be involved in. Long distance stuff I'm more likely gonna run. I've carried it a few times but only because I shot up all my ammo and that's all I had left. I mostly shoot lead and sometimes when my barrel leads up I fire three rounds of it and it cleans most of it out.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
It is not defensive ammo, it will act like FMJ. What it IS designed for is shooting steel up close without any risk of spalling coming back at you.

When it hits something hard like a piece of steel, it will turn to dust. When it hits something soft like flesh, it will just continue on its way.

If you need something to go bang when you press the trigger, it would be just fine. Some ranges only allow frangible, lead free ammo at their range for safety and eco reasons. I’ve never spent much time with it because it is typically more expensive than traditional ammo and I’ve never needed frangible ammo.

Id definitely buy it and shoot it up if it was affordable, just wouldn’t ever use it for defensive ammo.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts