Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the range with my step father last weekend. I'm not a kid (51 years old and step father is 73). I loaded 6 rounds of .38 special into my Ruger SS GP100 .357 mag 3". I fired the first round single action. I paused and fired the second round single action. The first round gave the normal recoil and noise. The second round gave almost no recoil and sounded like a cap gun. Having no idea what had just happened, I held the gun down range for 30 seconds before checking. I opened the cylinder and removed the cartridges. Two had expelled the bullet. I turned the gun to the side and my heart sunk. If I had pulled the trigger on the third round, I might still be in the hospital.

Always be safe with your firearms. If you allow your older kids to fire your firearms, be there to stop them if something like this happens while they are shooting.

Attachments

·
Registered
829 Posts
I had a similar thing happen to me with a 380 and wolf ammo a few years ago, it didn't sound or feel right and just like yours a had a bullet stuck in the barrel. I don't want to find out what would happen.

Glad you noticed, good job, that is why we must always be paying attention to what we are doing.

As we know, anyting man made / mechanical can fail at any time...

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
What brand of ammo were you using?
Yikes, a squib!
Any ammo maker can pass an undercharged round, not very common, thankfully I've never had one, but yeah, I'm curious too. Who made that ammo?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought this ammo at a gun show in Austin, Texas. It still had the reloader's info on the package. I sent him an e-mail with these two pictures. He is meeting me at the Saxet Gun show on the 17th with a new GP100 to exchange and is refunding the purchase price on the ammo. I did not ask for this kind of service. It was volunteered. Sounds like that business man cares about his reputation. I will post a link to his web site shortly.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am posting this link to praise the manufacturer for his willingness to do what is right. I am not posting it to chastise him for making a mistake. Anyone can make a mistake. How it is handled is what you remember.

The website for the manufacturer is: www.cccammo.com

·
Registered
862 Posts
That's wild. Great advice. I'm glad everything worked out with the reloader, sounds like he wants to keep a good customer.

·
Premium Member
7,579 Posts
I bought this ammo at a gun show in Austin, Texas. It still had the reloader's info on the package. I sent him an e-mail with these two pictures. He is meeting me at the Saxet Gun show on the 17th with a new GP100 to exchange and is refunding the purchase price on the ammo. I did not ask for this kind of service. It was volunteered. Sounds like that business man cares about his reputation. I will post a link to his web site shortly.
That's good news!

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I also had a similar event. Mine was with a 6" Colt Python. The first round was the squib the second was a full charge. I was at an instructor course so the stage was rapid fire and I didn't catch the squib. I was lucky in that all it did was buldge the barrel about an inch from the muzzle. With yours being a Ruger and knowing their reputation for extreme strentgh I believe you would have had a buldged barrel instead of a hospital trip. Glad you caught it in time. Squibs can be dangerous no matter what make or model. Some barrels will split while others just puff up and keep going. BTW my loads were my own handloads so I only have myself to blame. I used one of those old LeeLoader kits. The one where you use a mallet to pound the fired casing into the die and use a rod from the other end to knock the casing out. 900 rounds took quite awhile to load.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Same thing happen to me with my Walther P22 with CCI stinger ammo.

·
Registered
610 Posts
You need to stop what you are doing right now and go out and buy a Power Ball lottery ticket.

·
Super Moderator
50,585 Posts
Good lesson for all...:blink:

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
10-4

·
Registered
448 Posts
Glad to hear nothing more serious happened. It's scarey just thinking about this.

Question: Once the bullet is removed is the GP-100 still safe to shoot?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Right. This is why I always have a wooden dowel and some CLP with me at the range. I pray that my reflexes are fast enough during doubles and triples.

I've had a few.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Our Police Basic class used the cheapest, filthiest reloads that low bid could buy.
Our rangemaster warned us about "Pop and No Kick" ...
Brr! Scares me and I'm fearless!

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
am I understanding this right, that he's also replacing the gun ? Why ?

I'v had a couple, not much considering all of the years and ammo I've shot. The "pufffff.." sound is what I got... like an air gun had been shot. It's a nasty feeling when you know it just happened.

·
Banned
13,685 Posts
You gotta watch it every minute. You are in tune with what's going on. It's hard to explain to a novice in the world of firearms and safety, because there is lack of experience. Common sense, and habit for some of us, words don't always sink in. Even when you convey your own life time experiences, or show pictures of what could happen......often times it won't sink in. Good of you to post a reminder of the facts and the need to be watchful. All in all, I wish all the good people in the world never had to experience a disaster with a firearm. Glad you're okay and you knew something went awry. Made by man, implemented by man pretty much create two conduits for disaster. Mechanical things can and do fail even with science to back them up. Best not to be in the way of the inevitable at the time. Some folks can change the inevitable circumstance whether it be by luck, chance, or their cognitive abilities. Let us all be part of those who can change the inevitable.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts