Defensive Carry banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had lunch yesterday with a gentleman who confirmed a rumor that has been circulating in this part of Georgia since December. He is a civil servant and his position puts him “in the know” so I believe what he told me. A major firearms manufacturer located in the Northeast is looking to move their operations to a more gun-friendly state. Since their major customer is the US military, they would like to move onto a military base for reasons of security.

This gentleman confirmed that our local Chamber of Commerce has visited the company’s Northeastern headquarters hoping to lure the 400 jobs to the Albany, GA Marine Corps Logistics Base. Georgia has a “cannot sue gun mfg.” law but the state in which this mfg. is located has no law so there are liability issues for them in their home state.

He also stated that the Base Commander isn’t too keen on leasing/lending property and/or facilities for this company at the Base. I wasn’t told his reasoning for that. This Base also has other private companies located on the base but their facilities are used to support the military. His hesitation may be because this company also manufactures firearms for civilian use. That’s my opinion, not anyone else mentioned here. I am trying to get a second confirmation from the Chamber of Commerce. Will advise further details as they come available.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Interesting.
It makes sense in many ways.
The Base Commander may not want it but it won't be his call for a large manufacturer. That decision will be made at much higher echelons.
Dave

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Hmm. with the attitudes in CT, I don't think they will care or miss the Pony!

If it were a MA company (I'm sure it isn't), most of our dumb-ass politicians would help them pack to move. Then later lament the loss of jobs in the area!

If I were running a company, I would NOT want to site it on US Gov't Property. If I were in charge of US Gov't Property, I wouldn't want a private company on-site (only exception would be offices for companies supporting my Gov't operation). Security issues and the "freedom" to run the company are most of the time incompatible with Gov't operations/rules.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, just got confirmation from the Chamber of Commerce. They are in preliminary negotiations with the Base to open a facility to specifically support military operations. They are not considering a total move according to the Chamber rep. The civil servant was way off base!

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
So colt is gonna move?

Only people i can think besides sig that is in a gun unfriendly state.

hope they move it all eventually

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Bud White said:
So colt is gonna move?

Only people i can think besides sig that is in a gun unfriendly state.

hope they move it all eventually
Bud, you have Sig and S&W confused. Sig is in "live free or die" NH. S&W is behind communist lines in the PRM!

Colt has the M4 contract and is in CT, so it was a dead giveaway.

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
Bring em to Idaho, we'll take em

·
Super Moderator
25,602 Posts
In all this speculation no one mentioned Berretta. They are here in Southern Maryland, and for a long time due to Maryland's internal lock law they couldn't sell their weapons in the state. I think I'd be looking for a new home!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The rep at the Chamber confirmed it was Colt, but she confirmed it was military specific, not a total move.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Course there going under as much as i hate to say it right now they make most of the military's M-16's .

Hope the whole company will move and bring it back from the brink of going bye bye

1 - 12 of 12 Posts