Defensive Carry banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My employer is about to fire for practicing my second amendment right.

One of the managers at the Utah Costco I work at noticed my concealed firearm in the back of my pants. I am on 3 day suspension now pending termination. I am not sure what I need do to protect my second amendment right.

The police were called and it was confirmed I had done nothing illegal considering I have my Utah CCW.

Managers handled the situation very poorly trying to make me pull out the fire arm and place it on a desk. As well as announcing the situation in the office with coworkers around as well as the front end in front of more co-workers and costumers.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I guess you signed something stating that you understood the company policies. I'd check your handbook. If you broke the rules, that's on you. You have the right to speak freely as well. Your employer isn't bound by the Constitution which protects your rights.

·
Super Moderator
10,458 Posts
Well that is rather unfortunate for you, the Bill of Rights applies to the government, not Costco. You have the right to carry, and your employer has the right to terminate you for cause, especially if you violated a company rule.

You should probably work on your carry set-up too if non-gun people were able to notice it

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Don't know what to say man. I mean I'm all against employers prohibiting carry in the work place, but I have to ask the obvious... I'm assuming you were aware of the companies no firearm policy? I know I am aware of mine... I'm usually pretty discrete about carry at work and won't stoop or bend if I feel my firearm can be seen.

Either way sorry for the lost job... IMO opinion I feel both you and your employer could have handled that much better. Maybe it will help you in the future of how to better conceal?

·
Super Moderator
50,585 Posts
Did you know the rules prior to CCW at work?

Obviously it was not illegal, but your employer has a right to make demands concerning your carrying of a weapon on their property. It is then your decision to carry or not...it's a matter of how much you need employment. This topic had been discussed in numerous threads.

Why did you not conceal better?

I certainly agree with your RKBA, but it can be a great expense...as you are now aware.:ziplip:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your responses all. I guess the question I meant to ask is what steps can I take to take the situation to a civil suit against the employer. Allowing the courts decide weather or not it is okay to carry at the work place. I know simillar issues have came up in regards to parking lot carry. But I can not seem to find any court examples of in the work place situations.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
To be honest man... I think you are up the creek without a paddle on this one. Property rights if I am not mistaken are equal to or greater then individual rights. The government may not infringe on rights... doesn't say anything about private property.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Thanks for your responses all. I guess the question I meant to ask is what steps can I take to take the situation to a civil suit against the employer. Allowing the courts decide weather or not it is okay to carry at the work place. I know simillar issues have came up in regards to parking lot carry. But I can not seem to find any court examples of in the work place situations.

You have no case in court...

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
well as stated above, this sucks but I bet the company handbook has covered this already. Costco is known for its anti gun stance.

so, the only blame is resting on your lap.

·
Registered
80 Posts
You don't have a leg to stand on for a civil suit. If they informed you not to carry on the job/property, then you don't have any right to carry there. Plain and simple.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Fired

Why are you interested in sueing, if you screwed up? After 70 some years on this earth and having had permits since day one I would think you had enough sense to know the rules where you work.
Peaceful:confused:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know firearm laws are always in the works and changing I want to add an addition to efforts of stretching the workplace carry laws. Just don't know where to start.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
My employer is about to fire for practicing my second amendment right.
One of the managers at the Utah Costco I work at noticed my concealed firearm in the back of my pants. I am on 3 day suspension now pending termination. I am not sure what I need do to protect my second amendment right.
The police were called and it was confirmed I had done nothing illegal considering I have my Utah CCW.
Managers handled the situation very poorly trying to make me pull out the fire arm and place it on a desk. As well as announcing the situation in the office with coworkers around as well as the front end in front of more co-workers and costumers.
COSTCO Implemented a Corporate NO GUNS policy several years ago. :frown:

As an employee they most likely informed you of the policy.

You probably have no legal recourse unless there were other reasons for
termination.

Sorry.:icon_neutral:

·
Registered
571 Posts
You're up the proverbial tributary without a workable means of propulsion sir.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hum.... not so much sue in civil court but more so finding the steps to take my case to the legislature to urge them to disallow employers from barring employees from legally carrying firearms in the work place.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Your rights as guaranteed by the constitution end at the point it impedes or treads on the same rights of others. In this case, the employer has rights as well. I am assuming that the employer had given sufficient notice of any such ban on firearms in the workplace through employee handbook or notices. You have no case and I doubt that you will find a lawyer that will take the case.

As far as legislation, that is a tall steep hill to climb. You will need to join and work with a gun rights organization that has the political clout to pull that off. I doubt that you will find much support on that end as well as due to the long standing recognition of employer rights. Plus, there are way too many business organizations that would fight such a bill.

So, it appears that the parting of ways is a good thing for you. You sound as though you don't want to work for a company that doesn't allow you to carry on the job and the company doesn't want employees that carry. Move on.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I know firearm laws are always in the works and changing I want to add an addition to efforts of stretching the workplace carry laws. Just don't know where to start.
What you are talking about is legislation, not a law suit. Perhaps get involved with a political organization, like the NRA or similar.

Best wishes.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hum.... not so much sue in civil court but more so finding the steps to take my case to the legislature to urge them to disallow employers from barring employees from legally carrying firearms in the work place.
Find an employer that supports 2A. Otherwise, you are not able to trample on an employer's private property rights. They will fire you, like what happened.

1 - 20 of 185 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.