Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering!!!! I am wanting a new carry gun, something pretty small....small enough to carry in a jacket pocket. I was thinking about the NAA 380 until I seen the Kahr PM9. Not having seen both together, what do you guys think. I will be going to a gun store Thursday....but just wanted some discussion to help me make a decision.

I really do like the Kahr PM9!!!!!

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
personaly i carry a kahr pm9 anytime my pants are on . that being said personaly i wouldnt go the naa for 380 , i happen to have a walther ppks that i carry .380 not for everyone but i find it shoots like a target .22 that is why ill carry it . if i were gonna go concealable .380 it would be kel tech p3at and do a " fluff and buff" on it i personaly cant hit chit with the little brutes ( with my pm 9 i can keep em on a paper plate out to 25 yards ) anyway the ONLY reasons to carry a .380 is 1. uniqueness ; like when at a bbq i am the only one with one much less with a german walther and 2. size / money constraints other than the rorbagh , rorbah , oO( p95 help me here ) and the khar a .380 can be had smaller than a full 9 , myself i have the kahr oO( i cant afford that swiss watch nor do i want to give up real sights ) but i would say most bang for the buck is the kahr ( assuming your willing to do an honest break in shoot for it , and you recognise your downsizing to the " ragged edge of the caliber envelope " and may have to pander to the action ( extra cleaning , lube , ect ) see some of the small size 1911 posts here to see what i mean

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I often carry a Glock 26 when I need a smaller carry gun, but it is a little heavey for a jacket pocket. In a jacket pocket I use a S&W 642.

·
Registered
63 Posts
You might also want to look at the Bersa Thunder. Its hard to beat for the money. One well known reviewer said the Bersa was twice as good as the Walther, at half of the money. I think its a very overlooked gun.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had a Bersa 380. It was a real nice gun....I just traded it for a 45, but I liked it alot. Not 1 bad thing to say about it. I am just tempted to go for the 9mm than the 380 round.!!!!

I seem to buy and trade new guns alot....LOL

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Ill back up cleaning accident. the Thunder 380 is one of the most accurate guns out there. You have to shoot it to believe it. Its small, light and very accurate. There has been rumor of a concealed version due to come out last year.(no one has seen it, though) More cannot be said for the trigger. The double is lighter than most singles and the single is amazing. www.bersatalk.com I know you guys like forums.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
ya know on reflection i will only advise shoot anything ya can get your hands on , then carry the smallest thing ya can in a serious caliber , and serious cal depends on your shooting ability if you can take a .380 and place multiple hits on a playing card sized target @ 15 yards in 3 seconds from draw , then carry it , if not start shoping for a small " larger caliber " gun to have with ya .. that is about all i can say on the whole firepower/caliber arguement

·
Registered
63 Posts
Most large caliber guns are simply too impractical for everyday wear and comfort. Sometimes you have other things to do besides "carry" a hand cannon. A smaller caliber is all you need to buy enough time to get something much larger than a pistol round.
A few rounds from a .380 can leave enough smoke and people hitting the pavement for me to run across the Mega-Lo parking lot and get my truck door open.
Then its gonna be a real bad day for anyone that is making me "fear for my life" and probably anyone else in his near vicinity.
:yup:

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Bruce ... is it just me or does that slide say "1910?" And what's the mag hold, 3 or 4? LOL

Please Bruce just put the weapon down and step AWAY from the tire swing.
Jack

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Jack - yep - it's a 1910 - very small mag capacity. It's a custom I engineered for Bruce :smile: :wink:

I will add my 2c for the Bersa - astonishing gun IMO and while I would love to upgrade my wife's carry (heck, it used to be my gun!) to at least 9mm - I am at ease with her currently using the Thunder - she is good with it and that counts for a lot.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
rsz that is the drill for " sub cal " if your on 1911 platform , unless your shooting some old werid chit , it dont apply , your bringing the bbq with ya lol . my point is if you can put effective , multiple hits on target in a short time frame , carry a sub cal , if your unshure of this carry a larger cal , take your time fast, and let the first one put em down

·
Administrator
143,573 Posts
Get that confusing photo of that fabricated, fake, Monkey Pistol off this thread. :rofl:

Seriously....I would say that the very best pistol strictly based on SIZE VS POWER would have to be the little Rohrbaugh 9mm ~ It's a bit expensive but, it sure would be hard to beat.
Amazing little powerhouse of a mini semi~auto 9 pistol.
Very TIGHT package!

·
Premium Member
6,539 Posts
Hivoltage...

Everyone commenting here has mentioned some great firearms. I think, however, you answered your own question: "I really do like the Kahr PM9!!!!!" If you like it, you'll practice with it, maintain it, etc.

Whatever you choose, have fun, and good shooting! :smile:

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Sorry QK - don't you like Bruces ''lil' gem''!! :icon16: :nanana:

I should have mentioned the R9 of course but - sometimes leave it out because it is so high end for cost and so not as available to many folks. I think to actually, my wife would struggle with it, compared with Bersa, altho I do hear of ladies liking it.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts