Defensive Carry banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Freedom Arms 4 shot in .22 mag. I want to fire .22 LR in the pistol for practice as the ammo is cheaper. Is this a problem? I understand that the NAA mini comes with both a .22LR as well as a .22MAG cylinder, but I thought the .22LR was a five shot cylinder and the mag was a four shot cylinder. It appears the LR is shorter than the mag, and maybe slightly less in diameter?

I don't want to do something stupid, even though my ex-wife said I was mentally challenged.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I dont know about the freedom arms but I have a NAA 22 mag and it specifically says not to fire 22 long rifle in it.I think it would be a bad idea in my opinion.

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
I have several 22s that say "short, long, or long rifle" but none of my 22 magnums say anything but 22 magnum. There must be a good reason or they would list all of them like above. Perhaps not. If they were interchangeable, why would the revolvers (like the one I have) come with 2 cylinders in the same gun? Why wouldn't they just come with one that would fire all of them?

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
DO NOT fire a .22 shell in a .22 mag firearm...different diameters...can be dangerous.:nono::twak:

·
Premium Member
13,164 Posts
Don't do it

I have a Freedom Arms 4 shot in .22 mag. I want to fire .22 LR in the pistol for practice as the ammo is cheaper. Is this a problem? I understand that the NAA mini comes with both a .22LR as well as a .22MAG cylinder, but I thought the .22LR was a five shot cylinder and the mag was a four shot cylinder. It appears the LR is shorter than the mag, and maybe slightly less in diameter?

I don't want to do something stupid, even though my ex-wife said I was mentally challenged.
The NAA 22 mag I've used had a 5 shot cylinder for the magnum round. It would be a big mistake to try to fire a 22 lr from that cylinder. Not even sure you could do it, but if you could it would not get a nice result. Wrong diameter, wrong length.

·
Premium Member
7,133 Posts
Probably not too dangerous with shooting glasses. However, the case will split and be jammed up against the recoil shield; thereby jamming up the cilinder and could be hard to extract.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
nn got it right. it will split the cases and jam up the gun. Also spits lots of gas and soot. Not worth the risk.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Never, Never, Never

Did I say Never!!!!

Unless you got a Ruger Single Six with both 22lr cylinder and 22mag cylinder. 22mag is bigger and 22lr will be loose. The rim of the 22mag is a tad thicker then the 22lr. Also never use a cylinder that the serial don't match. Both Ruger cylinders have the same serial number as the frame of the gun. You will need a quilified gunsmith to match the indexing ratchit. Cheaper to buy a good used 22lr revolver then pay for the gunsmith.

·
Super Moderator
19,811 Posts
Look closely at a .22 Long Rifle round and a .22 Magnum round.

The Magnum bullet fits into the Magnum case - so the inside diameter ID) of the case accepts the outside diameter (OD) of the bullet.

The LR bullet (Shorts + Longs, too), though, is "heeled" - it has a smaller diameter at its base so it fits inside the LR case, and the 0.224" bullet diameter is essential the same as the case OD.

Both bullets have the same OD, about 0.224", so the same barrel can be used for both bullets.

I grabbed the calipers and measured a LR case OD - 0.225". Case ID was about 0.195", so that's the approximate diameter of the LR bullet heel.

The Magnum case OD was 0.239".

So... drop a LR round into a Magnum chamber, the brass case will expand upon firing to fit the Magnum chamber diameter... but will probably split in the process. In all likelihood a modern quality firearm won't be damaged, but there will be hot gas and small bits of brass case spraying the shooter.

Bottom line - DON'T DO IT!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts