Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the shiny new K6 out today for a trial run. It was a run of one step (1 round) and the cylinder would not rotate. My first thoughts were about sending a gun back with 5 live rounds stuck in it. With some jockeying of the trigger and tapping the back of the frame with the heal of my hand, the cylinder started to rotate again. I opened the cylinder and noticed the firing pin protruding. I pushed it back into the recoil plate with my thumb nail and it felt tight and gritty. I thought the grit might work out with a few cycles, so I loaded it up with expended cartridges and started cycling the trigger. It would stick every 2 or three shots and the same antics got the pin to retract far enough to get things moving again. Now that I knew recovery was possible from the stuck position, I thought some live fire might loosen things up a bit. Ran a couple of cylinders of mild .38s with no change in operation. Emailed customer service at Kimber America, so we'll see where we go from here.

Could be a missing or broken firing pin rebound spring, bent or mis-fit pin, but it seems to me that the end of the firing pin rebound spring worked it's way into the channel and is binding things up.

The rounds fired produced impressive results. The gun I was comparing to is my S&W 986, one of my favorites. The bore axis of the Kimber looks to be about 3/8" lower than the 986, and the grip seems higher on the backstrap. The result is much less muzzle flip on the Kimber.

Hope I get it fixed and back soon.

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Geez, a high dollar gun like that too. Just no more QC these days. I hope they give you stellar customer service.

·
Registered
8,001 Posts
I have a good friend who has had two K6S's, a 2" and a 3," and the firing pins broke on both of them not long after he got them. Kimber fixed them, but after they did, he got rid of them. I have read of other firing pin incidents with the K6. That just should not happen with a modern revolver.

He has now transitioned to a Ruger LCR and an SP101, both six shot revolvers in .327 Federal. He loves them!

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
I had a similar issue with my post-MIM, pre-lock 638. Every once in awhile, the frame mounted firing pin would jam forward during dry fire. I never shot it with real ammo before calling the Mothership and getting a FedEx lable. A few weeks later it was back in my hands functioning 100%.

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
ButterSmooth, sorry to hear of your issue. So far, my k6S has been very good.

I can never understand how some manufacturers can fail to have consistent quality control. I bought a high end brand new AR10 last year that was bad out of the box. The manufacturer could not make it right. I ended up contacting the manufacturer who ultimately refunded the money to the distributor who in turn refunded my dealer so I could get another rifle from a different manufacturer.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I believe Kimber has redesigned (strengthened) the firing pins in their wheelie guns now but I can't tell you a timeline with any accuracy. I think it came in at the same time as the introduction of the DA/SA but don't hold me to it.

The first two K6 samples I viewed and handled at my LGS were both victims of subpar QC. After the second one I took my name off the list. Decided I'd wait a while. Got a sweet 640 and a nice 101 so I haven't yet rushed back to the Kimber game board.

Hope they get the OP's sorted out and back to him ASAP. And I hope its all that he initially expected when he laid out his hard earned money.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
Not like the new colt revolver did not have issues and s&w has more than there share too . Got a buddy that order S&W 44mag 4"revolver for a fishing trip to alaska and it showed up with a front sight about 10* off to the left ! He took a ruger 4" rh 44mag home instead .

Of course the Kimber revolver will be fixed

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Called Kimber this morning. Short version, got a RMA number and a shipping label, so it'll be on it's way home this afternoon. As hassle free as it gets... so far...

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
All three of my K6 Type Revolvers have been shooting flawlessly. I just mailed a $2500.00 Swiss Automatic Watch back for Warranty work. There is no Manufacturer's Product that is immune from Lemons. Rest Assured Kimber will make it right

·
Registered
8,001 Posts
All three of my K6 Type Revolvers have been shooting flawlessly. I just mailed a $2500.00 Swiss Automatic Watch back for Warranty work. There is no Manufacturer's Product that is immune from Lemons. Rest Assured Kimber will make it right
My wife used to work for Cartier and even visited their watchmaking operation in Switzerland. $2500 was pretty much entry level for what she handled. She said automatic watches have all kinds of problems because they have so many moving parts.

But a malfunctioning watch doesn't fail to protect your life when it malfunctions. A brand like Kimber should never have allowed this to happen ever. It's not even a mechanical malfunction, it is a material malfunction.

·
Super Moderator
18,241 Posts
Sorry to read of this ButterSmooth.

Please keep us posted and hopefully tell us a good outcome.

Reactions: RETSUPT99

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
My wife used to work for Cartier and even visited their watchmaking operation in Switzerland. $2500 was pretty much entry level for what she handled. She said automatic watches have all kinds of problems because they have so many moving parts.

But a malfunctioning watch doesn't fail to protect your life when it malfunctions. A brand like Kimber should never have allowed this to happen ever. It's not even a mechanical malfunction, it is a material malfunction.
Only a Fool would stake their life on an unproven Weapon. The OP stated that the Revolver malfunctioned on the 1st trip to the Range. I'm certain that if it had malfunctioned during the Factory Proofing the condition would have been corrected before leaving the factory. Anything made by man can malfunction ie Bridges, Space Shuttles, Handguns ect

·
Registered
33,868 Posts
My watch battery died today... Must have CV-19.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
Man there are some whiny types here that seem to forget about colts new python problems and not like s&w is problem free .

·
Registered
788 Posts
I have been using Kimber pistols for over 20 years now and have owned 6 of them. One was purchased new and exhibited some problems with ejection (1911-type pistol), factory warranty service was very responsive and I had the pistol back in little more than a week. Another was acquired used, and the previous owner had played home gunsmith; Kimber came through with a thorough restoration to proper factory specifications and had it back to me in about a week (modest service charges because of the modifications done, which is entirely understandable).

Over the years I have had warranty service issues with Colt, Ruger, Smith & Wesson, and Kimber. Kimber's responsiveness was the best in my experience. As Nipperdog stated above, anything manufactured in large numbers can be expected to exhibit a problem every now and then; the real issue is how the manufacturer comes through for the customer, and Kimber is first class in my book.

The K6 series is relatively new to the market. It is not unusual for new designs to require some attention, and some engineering changes may result from problems identified by customer experience. S&W has long used a model designation including a basic model number followed by another number indicating which series of engineering changes were used in production (the Military & Police revolvers have been around for about 120 years, basic model number now is the Model 10, and there have been over a dozen significant engineering changes made so yours may be a Model 10, or a 10-3, or a 10-9, etc).

I remember lining up at the riggers' hangar to draw my parachute for a jump, and the large sign over the door that said "IF IT DOESN'T WORK BRING IT BACK".

Perfection is a fine goal, but something that never happens in the world of human efforts.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have been using Kimber pistols for over 20 years now and have owned 6 of them. One was purchased new and exhibited some problems with ejection (1911-type pistol), factory warranty service was very responsive and I had the pistol back in little more than a week. Another was acquired used, and the previous owner had played home gunsmith; Kimber came through with a thorough restoration to proper factory specifications and had it back to me in about a week (modest service charges because of the modifications done, which is entirely understandable).

Over the years I have had warranty service issues with Colt, Ruger, Smith & Wesson, and Kimber. Kimber's responsiveness was the best in my experience. As Nipperdog stated above, anything manufactured in large numbers can be expected to exhibit a problem every now and then; the real issue is how the manufacturer comes through for the customer, and Kimber is first class in my book.

The K6 series is relatively new to the market. It is not unusual for new designs to require some attention, and some engineering changes may result from problems identified by customer experience. S&W has long used a model designation including a basic model number followed by another number indicating which series of engineering changes were used in production (the Military & Police revolvers have been around for about 120 years, basic model number now is the Model 10, and there have been over a dozen significant engineering changes made so yours may be a Model 10, or a 10-3, or a 10-9, etc).

I remember lining up at the riggers' hangar to draw my parachute for a jump, and the large sign over the door that said "IF IT DOESN'T WORK BRING IT BACK".

Perfection is a fine goal, but something that never happens in the world of human efforts.
My experience is a close parallel to yours. I'm expecting a good result from Kimber. The revolver arrives there today.

·
Registered
16,069 Posts
There were so many locking cylinder problems when they first came out that the phone at Kimber was literally ringing off the hook. No one could get through. And those that did had a huge wait time of over a month once Kimber got it back.
Mine locked up after a couple cylinders. I took it apart and poked around. There were a couple things that didn't look right. It's worked fine ever since.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts