Defensive Carry banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was my first time shooting an AR-type rifle. As a NYC escapee, it's a triumph of freedom for me. Have owned my M&P 15 Sport for a few months with no chance to take it to a range given my work schedule. However, finally had a chance to make my way to PSR 37 (my first but definitely not last trip to this great range) and put some rounds through it.

I have a Vortex AR Red dot on it (their new 2 MOA 1xAAA-powered dot)
I was shooting Freedom Munitions and Federal 55gr 5.56 rounds... mostly the remanufactured FreedomMunitions stuff.

mp15.jpg

Mostly I was shooting offhand, and just used my magazine as a monopod for getting the sight adjusted.
I was able to achieve about 1.25" group at 50 yards (about the limit of my eyes' ability to pick up a 1-inch target without magnification, tried 100 yards but really couldn't see the target very well... and really needed a bench rest).

I think for a first time shooting an AR that's probably not bad. Definitely am looking forward to the next range trip with it. One concern I had was that the gun got pretty hot quickly, to the point that the polymer Magpul foregrip got uncomfortable. Is that normal?

50yd-small.jpg

·
Registered
176 Posts
It would seem normal to me, after all it is explosions, fire and friction. It's not as noticeable with pistols because the barrel is not exposed to such a degree. It did get me my first couple times, since I am mainly a pistol guy. I figured everyone needs a rifle, and my wife said, "Happy Fathers' Day". :danceban:

·
Super Moderator
10,458 Posts
How many rounds did you shoot, causing it to heat up?

I'm too lazy to go check my Magpul SL forend, does it have the metal heat shields in it?

·
Registered
8,131 Posts
Welcome to freedom. Glad to hear you didnt get PTSD and a bruised shoulder.

·
Registered
370 Posts
On the very first range trip with my Bushmaster, it got hot and I didn't fire it that frequently.

Now, it's not getting as hot and I'm shooting a lot more frequently per session, though I still let it sit and cool before packing it back up.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Awesome, I try to get the Sport II but Cabalas was all out of them so I bought the Ruger AR 556 instead with about six 30 rounds ammo for it and the Vortex Strikefire II, I'm planning on taken it out Friday for the first. Congrats and nice shooting.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How many rounds did you shoot, causing it to heat up?

I'm too lazy to go check my Magpul SL forend, does it have the metal heat shields in it?
It got relatively hot after about 3 full mags.
And yes, the Magpul forend had metal heat shields...

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
This is what I pick up last week myself.

·
Banned
747 Posts
The barrel gets hundreds of degrees hot after a mag dump. Friend didn't believe me, grabbed the barrel with his hand, boiled the skin right off his hand. Yes it gets "hot". Totally normal.

I see a ton of new AR shooters and EVERY SINGLE one of them has an under-lubricated gun. The AR-15 platform needs more lubrication than just about any other gun I know of. Don't be shy with your lube, and use a thicker viscosity lube as well.

Slip 2000, Weaponshield, M-Pro 7, Breakfree LP (not CLP), and Lucas Extreme Duty are top notch AR lubricants.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The barrel gets hundreds of degrees hot after a mag dump. Friend didn't believe me, grabbed the barrel with his hand, boiled the skin right off his hand. Yes it gets "hot". Totally normal.

I see a ton of new AR shooters and EVERY SINGLE one of them has an under-lubricated gun. The AR-15 platform needs more lubrication than just about any other gun I know of. Don't be shy with your lube, and use a thicker viscosity lube as well.

Slip 2000, Weaponshield, M-Pro 7, Breakfree LP (not CLP), and Lucas Extreme Duty are top notch AR lubricants.
I use the Slip2000 grease, very healthy amount. Think it's not too under-lubricated.

·
Registered
140 Posts
That heat is typical. I keep a pair of gloves in my range bag for when my rail heats up. I also run suppressed, so this happens pretty quickly.

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Aint it fun

·
Registered
603 Posts
I just take my time loading mags and don't rush- I've never really had too much of a concern dealing with an overly-hot set of heat shields.

Congrats on finally getting out with it for the first time. They're just great guns all the way around. Enjoy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts