Defensive Carry banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
34,131 Posts
I've carried everything from a 1006 Smith and Wesson through the Glock 9mm and 45 lineups, the S&W 9mm M&Ps and Shield, a Kimber .45 and finally the S&W .45 Shield. I have RMR-equipped, heavily modified Glocks which I love dearly. For a variety of reasons, I have wound carrying the .45 Shields almost exclusively for well over a year. They shoot as accurately and reliably as the others, both up close and at distance and are much easier to comfortably carry and conceal. I own two production models and one Performance Center offering. If I could only have one handgun, it would be the .45 Shield.

·
Registered
797 Posts
The G19 is an excellent choice and if I had one gun for carry and home defense that would probably be it. When I got started the G17 was the only Glock and had just came out. I have a Gen 2 that I bought for home defense and still use it in that role and it stays in the safe attached to my bed frame.

When concealed carry was finally passed here I bought a G26 to carry and still do. I carry it in a CBST holster. I like to have the same controls and also the availability to put one of the mags from my G17 in the G26 is a plus.

I guess if I started today, I would be tempted with the slightly narrower carry guns that are now out, but honestly I haven't really had a good reason to change my setup. I did ad a P3AT for pocket carry when needed and found myself always leaving it there even when I have the G26 on me. I guess it's my "New York Reload."

Good Luck and welcome to DC.

·
Premium Member
34,131 Posts
I consistently shoot my Gen 4 Glock 19 (I carried it for about two years and put countless rounds through it) worse than any of my other carry guns, except perhaps the 1st generation Shield 9mm. Just sayin'...

·
Registered
36,055 Posts
Heck, I bought a Glock 30 pretty much sight unseen, and it worked for me. I think I had handled one once in an LGS. Then I bought a S&W 6906 literally sight unseen, and it worked for me. I also bought a S&W 4566 also sight unseen, and it works for me. All different actions or calibers.

People get too hung up on expecting to find the perfect gun and shooting it perfectly when they should be focusing on buying a reliable gun and then learning to shoot it.

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
My first one was a S&W Model 15 snub nose issued by the armory when I was aircrew on helicopters in the USAF. I had a DOD CCW permit which listed the butt # on it. *As a side note we were issued a Camillus Govt. issue switchblade along with a letter signed by our Commander saying that we were authorized to carry them.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
For my first concealde carry specific gun, my first priority was to find something that I knew I would be able to carry regularly. I wanted small and easy to use. I went with a 642 snub. If you're willing to work with it and shoot it I don't think they're all that hard to hit with at 7-10 yard distances. Been carrying that same 642 regularly for 15 years.

For me having a gun that can be pocket carried all day is key. I do carry other guns in other modes but If I could only have one specific gun to concealed carry it would have to be something pocket able and would likely still be a 642. It may not be the best gun for all situation, but its better than no gun in any situation.

·
Registered
4,177 Posts
Glocks are darn good handguns and plenty of people carry them. That said, what training do you have? Are you ready to face the decisions which are associated with use of force and the carriage of weapons? Are you proficient in the use of handguns and have you any training on how to fight with a handgun? People get all caught up in "the gun" and do not always adequately prepare themselves for the ARENA of lawful self defense.

·
Super Moderator
16,780 Posts
My first one was a S&W Model 15 snub nose issued by the armory when I was aircrew on helicopters in the USAF. I had a DOD CCW permit which listed the butt # on it. *As a side note we were issued a Camillus Govt. issue switchblade along with a letter signed by our Commander saying that we were authorized to carry them.
Mine was either a 2-inch M-10/15 depending on what Command Post had in the drawer when we checked in; we were issued Gun Cards (CCP) but had no serial numbers since we seldom got the same gun. Carried the Camillus too but no letter (still have it).

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
While ALL of the pieces you have listed are great for conceal carry; you must take everyone else's recommendations as a consideration, not the gospel! The reality is that carrying a gun is a personal choice and decision. What brand, make and model of gun I like, you may not! What works for me, may not for you! And, visa versa. Most cats will tell you about what "they like" or speak about "their personal preferences" opposed to finding out what "your" preferences, likes and needs are. So, go to the range, rent all of the pieces that interest you, and then shoot them, handle them so that you can gather your own data on the pieces and make the choice that works for you! Happy hunting!

·
Registered
597 Posts
My principle considerations any and all firearms, whether I'm concealing it or not:

1. Shootability: Draw and fire. It should be that simple, without any other action required on the part of the shooter, and for some firearms, it is. For others, not so much. This includes having enough rounds to handle multiple assailants without reloading. These days, home burglaries are often perpetrated by two or more individuals. Can you handle four assailants? What if it requires two rounds each to stop them?

2. Safety: Can it withstand being dropped in Jeff Cooper's "Condition 2: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer down," and not go off? Firing pin interlocks and hammer blocks are wonderful things, when properly designed and the firearm is secured in a Level 2 or better holster.

3. Reliability: Can you push a thousand rounds through it before you need to clean it? (not recommended) Can the gun withstand 50,000 rounds total (with frequent cleaning and lubes) without breaking? Can you clean it both easily and thoroughly at home without requiring gunsmithing tools to break it down further?

4. Ergonomics: Are you comfortable with firing it? Are you accurate when firing it? Is it comfortable to carry? How about all day, every day?

5. Aesthetics: It's your first CC gun - you're going to want to show it off! Nothing wrong with that, provided 1-4 are met or exceeded, first.

Concealed Carry considerations:

A. Holsterability: I don't know why, but some guns seem to defy the ability to remain secure in a holster. A good holster guards the trigger while anchoring the firearm in the holster and the holster to your person.

B. Concealability: I'll bet you though this would be at the top of the list for a concealed firearm, didn't you? Yes, it's important, but in the overall scheme of things, the other considerations are more important. As for concealability, the most important thing to remember is that "smaller and thinner are better," while also remember both are at odds with most of the considerations given above. I have no problem concealing a full-frame 9mm with a 15-round magazine. Then again, I'm not a small person and can get away with wearing baggy clothes because I'm old, with white hair and have put on more than a few pounds. If you're young and fit, well, I'll let the young and fit people share their superior experience than I can provide. :)

Reactions: jstert

·
Registered
127 Posts
i suggest adding ruger, s&w and taurus 38 snub nosed revolvers to o.p.’s try list, both steel and airweight. if possible try the airweight models with softer 38 wadcutter ammo, otherwise stay with steel to mitigate recoil and get a robust holster. i like mine because they are reliable, handy (i won’t leave it behind), simple, p.c. everywhere, and i can reload well enough with speedloaders. you can stay in the $200-300 range and have cash leftover for more ammo or future handgun purchases.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I have a G19. I love it. I have a g26. I hate it, unless I have a g19 mag with a mag spacer in it. For me, it is unshootable without the longer magazine. I can’t get a good enough purchase on it. Then, along came my Goldilocks gun, the p365 manual safety with a 12 round mag. At $499, it was about the same price as the g19 and the g26, although I had to buy the bigger mag. It fits my hand great. It is lighter and easier to carry than either the 19 or the 26, has way more capacity than the Shield. Honestly, I shoot the g19 best, but the p365 is the best combination of size, weight, and capacity that I’ve seen. That said, I haven’t seen the Hellcat. But with only 1 extra round beyond what I have with the 365, I don’t think I am ready to “invest” in yet another handgun. Also, in the interest of full transparency, I also have the non safety version of the 365...I just wanted the extra measure of safety while re-holstering...not a fan of Glock Leg.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Hey guys, it's a been a busy week but I wanted to thank everyone who commented and gave feedback! From talking to a lot of people and some of the people on here I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the Glock 19. I'm actually going to a range tomorrow and shooting! Now they have the gen 4 and gen 5 is there one in particular I should be shooting I tend to lead towards the gen 5 because of the new barrel but would love to hear peoples thoughts! I'm pretty sure I want to stick with a 9MM gun but here are some of the guns that they have and was wondering if they are worth shooting?

Smith & Wesson M&P22 (.22 long rifle)
Ruger 1911 (45acp)
Glock 20 (10mm)
Springfield XD (.40 S&W)
Glock 23 Gen3 (40 S&W)
Canik TP9SF (9mm)
Glock 19X (9mm)
Glock 19 Gen4 (9mm)
Glock 19 Gen5 (9mm)
Glock 17 Gen3 (9mm)
Glock 43 Gen4 (9mm)
Sig Sauer P938 (9mm)
Sig Sauer 320 (9mm)
Smith & Wesson M&P Shield (9mm)
Smith & Wesson M&P9 2.0 (9mm)
Beretta APX (9mm)
Beretta 92FS (9mm)
Sig Sauer P238 (.380)
Ruger SP101 (357mag / .38 Special)
Taurus Tracker (357mag / .38 Special)

So it seems that not only would I be paying for a gun, but a good belt and a good gun holster and ammo to shoot. Is there anything I'm missing? Any other information I need to know? I know training is a good thing and I'll definitely get it but I'm going into law enforcement so whenever I go to the trooper school I'll obviously learned so this is to hold me up till then.

Good choice I have the Gen4 G19 that I will never get rid of and like it been said you will eventually get those others.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
So I went to the range and shot the Glock 19 and 43 both gen 5's and liked both of them and shot the s&w shield 2.0 and also liked it. I wouldn't mind carrying a glock 19 but since I'm concealing it I don't know why I wouldn't want to carry a glock 26 if its basically the same thing just a smaller gun. Is there any reason other then the grip on the Glock 26? I'll definitely be getting the extension for it but shooting the Glock 43 wasn't awful. Is there any other major differences? And yes I understand the repercussions of carrying and plan on putting tons of rounds and good training into it.

I think right now I'm looking to get a Glock 26 Gen 5

ShapeShift Core Carry Pack by Alien Gear

Relentless Tactical The Ultimate Concealed Carry CCW Gun Belt | Made in USA | 14 oz Leather

If anyone have good suggestions or any other thoughts then I'm more then happy to hear!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
So I went to the range and shot the Glock 19 and 43 both gen 5's and liked both of them and shot the s&w shield 2.0 and also liked it. I wouldn't mind carrying a glock 19 but since I'm concealing it I don't know why I wouldn't want to carry a glock 26 if its basically the same thing just a smaller gun. Is there any reason other then the grip on the Glock 26? I'll definitely be getting the extension for it but shooting the Glock 43 wasn't awful. Is there any other major differences? And yes I understand the repercussions of carrying and plan on putting tons of rounds and good training into it.

I think right now I'm looking to get a Glock 26 Gen 5

ShapeShift Core Carry Pack by Alien Gear

Relentless Tactical The Ultimate Concealed Carry CCW Gun Belt | Made in USA | 14 oz Leather

If anyone have good suggestions or any other thoughts then I'm more then happy to hear!
Good choice. I have the G19 and G26 both, and I honestly shoot the G26 just as well as the G19. For me, the pinky curled under the G26 grip doesn't bother me. Some people it does.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
yeah that's what I thought like worse case I deal with it till I buy another one or just buy a extender. Now trying to figure out what hostler and belt I should get.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts