Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went to the range today to do some target practice. I'd run two magazines of Winchester Brown Box ammunition through it with no problems. (I've had no problems before today, btw.) I decided to use up a magazine of the Winchester PDX 1 ammunition that I'd already cycled through the gun three times a piece. I got through the first six rounds and the slide locked back. I wondered why the slide locked back, because I was certain that I had loaded seven in the magazine. I dropped the magazine, and no bullet. I looked into the breach, and the round was in the chamber, but the slide had locked back. So I managed to slide the round out with no problems, it wasn't stuck. I reloaded it into the magazine and fired it, with no problems.

What would cause the slide to lock back like that? Would it be a magazine problem, or something else? It had only been a week since I field stripped it and oiled the pistol.

·
Registered
11,153 Posts
During recoil did any part of your hand hit the slide release?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm shooting left handed by the way and I rest my thumb on the barrel link pin

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
I just woke up from a nap and wish I hadn't clicked on this thread :confused:
I am so confused!

That was one heckuva inertia feed.
What are you shooting again?
I'm guessing there is not a dimple on the mag follower. Some magazines have dimples on the followers because it was noticed that it was possible for the next to last round to partially drag the last round with it.
So let's say your sixth shot fired, the last round was already halfway out of the magazine, the gun recoiled a lot, that last round actually fed during the recoil. Not having a round in the magazine the follower would do its job and push up on the slide stop, locking the slide back.

To verify all this I'll have to check the planetary tables and see how they were aligned, because my guess is this could only happen every six billion years. :wink:

So, does the pistol seem to recoil a lot?
And do your mag followers have dimples in them?
You may need to get some new mags or different followers. And some springs are proprietary now to mags and followers, so maybe the new mags is the easiest way to go.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was shooting winchester PDX 1's (non +P) through a Colt Government model with a standard Colt 7 round magazine with a dimple on the mag follower that I bought from Midway. I have no idea how this happened, all I know is that the slide locked back after I fired the 6th round and the 7th was in the chamber. I'm trying to figure out what 's going on here, because I've never had an issue with the service grade ball ammo that I normally shoot. I'm confused as to how this could have happened. I'm shooting left handed with my thumb resting on the barrel link pin.
I just woke up from a nap and wish I hadn't clicked on this thread :confused:
I am so confused!

I did notice that the 6th round seemed to have a little more "oomph" to it.
That was one heckuva inertia feed.
What are you shooting again?
I'm guessing there is not a dimple on the mag follower. Some magazines have dimples on the followers because it was noticed that it was possible for the next to last round to partially drag the last round with it.
So let's say your sixth shot fired, the last round was already halfway out of the magazine, the gun recoiled a lot, that last round actually fed during the recoil. Not having a round in the magazine the follower would do its job and push up on the slide stop, locking the slide back.

To verify all this I'll have to check the planetary tables and see how they were aligned, because my guess is this could only happen every six billion years. :wink:

So, does the pistol seem to recoil a lot?
And do your mag followers have dimples in them?
You may need to get some new mags or different followers. And some springs are proprietary now to mags and followers, so maybe the new mags is the easiest way to go.

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Well, that's not what my theory wanted to read :wink:
I was hoping you were going to say a lighter model 1911 with no dimple.

I suppose it's possible for the magazine spring to be so weak, or the dimple worn, that even having a dimpled follower a round could slide past it.
I have some Wolff magazines that don't have a dimpled follower, but have an extremely strong spring in them that keeps the rounds really pressed against the magazine lips.
Maybe your recoil spring needs to be a couple pounds heavier, too. Maybe the pistol is recoiling more with those SD rounds than it needs to be.

·
Registered
289 Posts
My guess is your thumb resting on the barrel link pin. Isn't the other end of that pin the slide stop? Maybe during recoil, the slide stop freed up just enough to allow you thumb to rotate the barrel link and thus rotate the slide stop up just enough to lock it back... That all I got

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I guess it could be, but I didn't really notice any difference in the Service grade ammo and the SD ammo. Of course I've heard that the Service grade stuff is a little hotter than the regular ammo too. So a stronger spring may help.
Well, that's not what my theory wanted to read :wink:
I was hoping you were going to say a lighter model 1911 with no dimple.

I suppose it's possible for the magazine spring to be so weak, or the dimple worn, that even having a dimpled follower a round could slide past it.
I have some Wolff magazines that don't have a dimpled follower, but have an extremely strong spring in them that keeps the rounds really pressed against the magazine lips.
Maybe your recoil spring needs to be a couple pounds heavier, too. Maybe the pistol is recoiling more with those SD rounds than it needs to be.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Try to not rest your thumb against pin. Some pins are just loose enough that they can be moved with little pressure. Did you fire any rounds after this happened, and did they extract and eject normally ? ( I know how inertia feed happens, but have never had it happen to me. Thousands of quite warm rounds thru my guns with multiple style mag followers with no problems. BUT all my guns are set up to run that type round). Its possible that the round inertia fed and you moved the pin at just the right moment, but I have no way to prove this. Just to many strange things happening to make a definitive call.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
I'm a lefty and had to adjust my grip because I was hitting the slide stop causing it to lock. But I never had a round chamber when this happened. That's a mystery.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After it happened, I put the round back in the magazine and fired it, but that was the last round I put through it. I went in and cleaned it afterwards. I guess time will tell if it happens again. I was reading about inertia feed. Does this sound like that could be the problem? I read somewhere that the standard spring is rated for 230 grain bullets at 800-850 fps. The stuff I'm shooting is 230 grain and a little faster, but only about 15-30 fps. I don't know if that little bit of difference would matter?
Try to not rest your thumb against pin. Some pins are just loose enough that they can be moved with little pressure. Did you fire any rounds after this happened, and did they extract and eject normally ? ( I know how inertia feed happens, but have never had it happen to me. Thousands of quite warm rounds thru my guns with multiple style mag followers with no problems. BUT all my guns are set up to run that type round). Its possible that the round inertia fed and you moved the pin at just the right moment, but I have no way to prove this. Just to many strange things happening to make a definitive call.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Oh lord... Ummmm... Hmmmm... I'm still running the mechanics thru my mind and I'm looking at my own 1911 right now and trying to manufacture what you've described...and what you've stated doesn't seem to quantify. I'm not saying that it didn't happen because there is just no way I could do that, but your description of what happen is unfathomable. And not even an inertia feed would be able to cause a round from a 1911 magazine to jump into the tube by itself, and the slide be locked to the rear. That is definitely one for the books, I tell ya. Wow! Unless! Somehow as the slide was ejecting the previous cartridge somehow pinched the next round and it snapped up and into the tube some kind of way...that would be freaky...and would probably point to a mag problem. But I'm out here on very very thin ice..... Are we being punk'ed?

I would certainly like to know if it happens again...not that I can do anything about it, but it may help us in knowing how it could happen and what your part in it happening may have been, so that correction can be applied, and we all be the better for it.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I can fully get behind the slide locking open when it should not, and a few causes for that. However, I am struggling to comprehend just how a loaded round made it's way into the chamber with the slide open.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I'm a lefty and had to adjust my grip because I was hitting the slide stop causing it to lock. But I never had a round chamber when this happened. That's a mystery.
That's the whole point about these "you engaged the slide stop" responses. IF he did that, the slide locked back after firing, engaged and remained locked back....

THEN HOW DID THE ROUND GET IN THE CHAMBER? Rounds feed into the chamber when the slide goes forward, stripping the round out of the mag and into the chamber. SO like the OP, I'm confused how "accidentally misplacing the finger/resting it on the slide stop" etc, could result in a round in the chamber with the slide locked back.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts