Votes: 11 8.9%
  • S&W M&P

Votes: 42 34.1%
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a soon-to-be gun owner and need some advice for my first handgun, to be used for personal defense and target shooting. Because I live in the lovely state of New Jersey, there is 0% chance that I'll get a concealed carry permit, so I'm looking to get a full sized gun in .40 caliber. I've narrowed it down to a few choices, but I'd really appreciate any advice you can give me. The factors that I'm looking at are quality, reliability, mag size and durability. Price isn't really a deal breaker.

I've narrowed it down to the following:

Glock 22
Sig P226
HK USP
S&W M&P

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
I can vouch for Glocks & M&Ps. I'm not real familiar with the Sig or HK. I know Sigs are more expensive but could be worth it.
For concealed carry I'd suggest the Glock 23 or M&P 40C, both of which will accept the larger mags from the G22 & 40FS. For even smaller handguns the counterparts would be Glock 27 & Shield 40.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Glock 22 carried it as a duty weapon for years. It's reliable simple to use and powerful. I keep one of it's 9mm cousins the Glock 19 but I'm not in NJ with their ammo restrictions.

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
Those are all excellent choices, all with excellent quality, durability and reliability. I think the trigger action is an important factor; my preference for a full-size gun would be DA/SA, which is available for the sig and h&k but not the striker-fired glock or m&p. Also the feel of the grip would be a factor, which is an individual preference. Finally, I'd prefer one with an accessory rail (picatinny) for mounting a standard light and/or laser sight. These are generally put on most new full-size guns, but if you buy used may not be there.

Other options to consider are a Ruger SR40, or the variety of .40 pistols made by CZ (the CZ 75 variants).

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
If size isn't a factor, I'd highly recommend the M&P45 or Glock 21. Massive amounts of .45 acp goodness beats 40 cal goodness! I prefer M&P's over Glocks (but have both). For carry, I like small .40's, but for you, the .45 acp or even 10mm might be fun!

Reactions: Kilowatt3

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
While I carry a HK P2000 SK, I gave the thumbs up to the Sig P-226 as two of my student have gone with that model. They found the handling and the follow up shots no problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
GLOCK! Why .40?
Based on the current political climate in NJ. "High Capacity" mags are on the way out in NJ. The smaller capacity .45 mags will still be available after the ban, so I figured I'd start with a .40 or 9mm so I can get the clip I want before its too late.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Based on the current political climate in NJ. "High Capacity" mags are on the way out in NJ. The smaller capacity .45 mags will still be available after the ban, so I figured I'd start with a .40 or 9mm so I can get the clip I want before its too late.
Since you are new to guns I'll be the first to tell you, it is a MAGAZINE not a clip.

Move out of Jersey. Then you can have the freedoms you are granted under the U.S. Constitution.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
All are great choices, you might want to throw in th CZ duty since your going full size great gun good price

·
Banned
2,647 Posts
I would recommend a XD, XDM, or a XDs. My EDC has been a XD40 SC since early 2008 and never a failure of any type with over 7K rounds down the pipe.

Reactions: alafan

·
Registered
136 Posts
Of the .40's you mention, I have owned a gen 4 glock 22, and a sig p229 (identical grip to the 226) and would say that of those two only, I'd probably say the glock. Sig is an all metal pistol and I love them, but they have 1.5'' width grips, which sucks for smaller hands, and the trigger reach is long. The glock was great for me, a great trigger, a lot of reliability, but a large lack of safety. Im not getting into the arguement on it here, but my for me personally, the trigger "safety" being the only thing between me or my kids or anyone else, and a ND/AD, wasn't enough. I sold it and bought a springfield XDM .40. It is the best shooting .40 i have ever owned. Never had a single issue with feeding/ejecting or otherwise. They can be had new under 600 bucks and they are truly top notch. 16+1 or 11+1 in the compact version, which is much better for concealment. If I had the 5 of them (including the xdm) laid on a table, id pick up the xdm each time.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Have you considered the Springfield XDm in .40? Also, if you've never shot a .40 the recoil is much snappier and harsher than even a .45. Take a look at the Fullsize .45 Glocks, M&Ps and XDm's

·
Registered
825 Posts
The only 40 I'd get would be a 9mm or a 45 ACP.
Either in an XD model.

Reactions: Bandit22

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
GLOCK 19, 15+1 rounds of less expensive yet lethal screaming 9x19 goodness. Large enough for a duty weapon, small enough to conceal, totally fun to shoot and it's a GLOCK (out of the box functionality, simple, easy to clean, durable, and as reliable as the sun coming up).

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
While this is like asking for the best holster.........
I have a G22 and it has been flawless. Eats everything, spits out the empties and asks for more. 15 rnds + 1 of 180gr 40 sw is a potent recipe for defense. The glock are reliable, very accurate, easy to amintain, economical, and there is a ton of doodads to spice it up if you wish. My second choice would be the M&P 40. I owned one of the first gen 40's and it was absolutely fantastic. No gun has ever fit my hand that well, ever, period.

Reactions: GhostMaker

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Choice is yours this is a question that has a bunch of answer, I like XDs, Sigs and Springs 1911 and the Kimber Master Carry. You must find the one that fist you like a pair of shoes, I agree with Steve borrow rent but try them out. Good luck

·
Registered
87 Posts
While this is like asking for the best holster.........
I have a G22 and it has been flawless. Eats everything, spits out the empties and asks for more. 15 rnds + 1 of 180gr 40 sw is a potent recipe for defense. The glock are reliable, very accurate, easy to amintain, economical, and there is a ton of doodads to spice it up if you wish. My second choice would be the M&P 40. I owned one of the first gen 40's and it was absolutely fantastic. No gun has ever fit my hand that well, ever, period.
Some sheriff's departments I know up here have trained and carried Glock 22's but have recently switched to M&P's. Some I've talked to still prefer their old glocks. Great first gun to build confidence with and tons of parts support.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts