Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be 21 in less than a month and have been researching handguns for the past couple months. I would be concealing this handgun once my permit is approved. At first I had my heart set on a full size 1911, mainly the Springfield TRP. However, lately I've had my eyes on a Beretta 92FS. Concealment shouldn't be an issue, I'm 6-2, 175lbs or so. I know this brings into the debate of .45 vs 9mm and one happens to be twice the price of the other. Money really isn't really a deciding factor in what I purchase. I just want to hear your opinions and suggestions.

Thanks,
Trevor

·
Registered
248 Posts
I'll be 21 in less than a month and have been researching handguns for the past couple months. I would be concealing this handgun once my permit is approved. At first I had my heart set on a full size 1911, mainly the Springfield TRP. However, lately I've had my eyes on a Beretta 92FS. Concealment shouldn't be an issue, I'm 6-2, 175lbs or so. I know this brings into the debate of .45 vs 9mm and one happens to be twice the price of the other. Money really isn't really a deciding factor in what I purchase. I just want to hear your opinions and suggestions.

Thanks,
Trevor
I went to a local gun range that rented out almost any common carry gun for 5 bucks per gun... Shot a lot of them, and decided on the Glock 26. Its reliability, concealibility, quality, all in a affordable price. It packs plenty of rounds, and was originally developed for the purpose of concealed carry in the mid 90s.

As weid as it may sound, I would never go any larger than the glock 26 for my own personal reasons for conceal carry. I mostly wear it on my ankle because I serve at a restaurant that does not allow firearms and go to a University that does not allow firearms (not statutorily prohibited) meaning I must conceal well and can not afford to be made. A glock 26 weighs 26 ounces loaded...thats not fun carrying on an ankle for as much time as I have to, and it took a long time to master walking normally with it...

On my free time when I wear IWB (Galco Summer Comfort), it is very comfortable.

It really depends on what you like in the end...

·
Registered
431 Posts
I suggest you rent several guns and shoot them before you make a purchase

·
Registered
829 Posts
Of the two you listed I'd go TRP, but that's me. I would recomend you shoot them and others. If you are getting one you will want to be happy with the dependability, feel, accuracy etc... The price of the TRP would get you a good EDC and a BUG... a lot to consider, don't rush, research and shoot al you can!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hands down, the 1911. A Marine taught me handgun basics. I told him I was thinking of buying a 9mm and all he said was "DON'T get a Beretta!". They might not deserve it, but Berettas have a bad reputation for choking. Nuff said.

Shoot them both, then decide. A well-made 1911 is a thing of joy to shoot, and it probably conceals better than a 92FS.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
You better handle both those weapons and see them before you "know " you can conceal them effectively. Those are both big honkin shooitng irons. They are both very nice guns, and you wont be disappointed. I am 6'3", 285 and am considered by many to be a BIG dude. I would be challenged to conceal either of those. Try looking at compact models of those same guns, You probably will be much happier in the long run.

·
Registered
284 Posts
You want opinions, so here is mine. I've been carrying for over 30 years so take it for what it's worth.

I've carried 6" barreled 44 and 357 magnums, Beretta 92FS all the way down to a 22 auto. I used to think "the bigger the better". Now days, it's usually a Glock 36, Kahr 9mm, .38 snubbie or sometimes a Ruger LCP. The convenience factor of these small guns is huge. These are guns that you will always have with you, as opposed to the big ole' hog leg that you leave at home because you're wearing shorts and a t-shirt. I have many other guns to carry if I wish, but like I said, one of these is always with me.

Also, forget about the 9mm vs. .45 debate. Get a service caliber [.38sp., 9mm, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, .357 mag. or .357 Sig] and practice with it . All will serve you well.

The guns you speak of are fine weapons, but you wanted opinions and I gave my .02.

·
Registered
424 Posts
This is pretty much a direct copy of a post I made earlier. But here goes. I have to agree on forget about the caliber debate here as far as 9mm vs. .45acp.

I guess the big question is, what experience do you have with a traditional DA semi auto weapon compared to the 1911 platform?

The 1911 platform is not for everyone and I personally believe that you should be very familiar with the SA nuiances of the 1911 before carrying it. Many of my friends can't believe I carry a gun "cocked & locked", when I have one of my Colts. It freaks them out!! :aargh4:

If you do not have a lot of range time logged in with the 1911 platform, I would highly recommend the DA semi auto. There's a reason you see very few LEO's, (even going back 15-20yrs ago), carrying the 1911 as there side arm.

If you're new to handguns, then the Glock would be a great start. Super simple and tough as nails, (this coming from a guy who can't stand them). If you have your heart set on the Beretta, check out a Taurus 92F. Better price tag and personally, a better safety and all around weapon for that matter.

I have shot more rounds through that weapon than anything I own and even qualified at the Academy with it. The only malfunction I have ever had with it is 3 stove pipes (all from the same box; CCI Blazer shells). Never used them in a semi auto again!

Good luck, practice, practice, practice and be safe!!

·
Registered
313 Posts
I'm 5'11" 170ish, and my Dan Wesson CBOB (full length grip, 4.25" barrel) requires extra care to conceal. Yeah, it conceals pretty good, pretty easily, but not as well as smaller guns. My other handguns are all quite a bit smaller and can conceal under a fairly tight t-shirt.

The guns you've mentioned are nice, but if it's really going to be a primary carry gun, I think you'd be better served by a compact or subcompact.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
There are really too many good guns out their to recommend just one.

The polymer guns on the market these days are virtually indestructible.

Good luck and have fun trying them all.

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
Back in 2000, I bought a Beretta 92FS...one I had been checking out for almost a month at an out of town gun shop while working a job on the road. One of my few mistakes in my choices of pistols, and this one wasn't even specifically purchased for a carry pistol. I traded it off 6 weeks later after several range sessions with it for a Glock 22. I agree with most on finding a rental to try first on anything you're thinking about. Time well spent.

·
Registered
10,864 Posts
There are really too many good guns out their to recommend just one.

The polymer guns on the market these days are virtually indestructible.

Good luck and have fun trying them all.

I agree with varob, on this one, go with something lighter,shorter and smaller.
Nothing as small as say a 22, 25, 32 or 380.
For primary I would stay 9mm and above,
Go to a shop that will rent certain firearms for you to see which may be a better shooter in your hand, and which YOU are comfortable with.
Glock26, or similar size (different cal.), S&W m&p
Or something from the CZ lineup if you wish for a bit heavier.
JMHO

"I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them, it is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution, or that have failed in their purpose, or that impose on the people an unwarranted financial burden. I will not attempt to discover whether legislation is ‘needed’ before I have first determined whether it is constitutionally permissible. And if I should later be attacked for neglecting my constituents’ interests, I shall reply that I was informed their main interest is liberty and that in that cause I am doing the very best I can." Barry Goldwater

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
I agree with ‘ScubaDuba’ in that trying out as many examples as you can. In fact, if you are new to handguns I would recommend something fairly basic or at least with a double-action only trigger. I mean, if you like shooting, you will end up with other guns. Many folks starting out will go though a few different options before settling in on the one they really like.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I love my SW 642 a lot good size .38 Sp

its a snubbie, so it carrys and conceals like a dream.

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
Yeah, I also ended up back with snubs; funny how that seems to work...

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
I went to a local gun range that rented out almost any common carry gun for 5 bucks per gun... Shot a lot of them, and decided on the Glock 26. Its reliability, concealibility, quality, all in a affordable price.
+1 :hand10:

Been carrying for 20 + years and after all the pistols in my inventory the G26 is the one that trips my trigger for CC. Mainly for the reasons mentioned above and then some of my own CC criteria. While I'll add it's different for everyone, the Glock 26, or even the G27 appear to me to be the ideal CC pistols once all the factors are stacked up and measured objectively. You can't go wrong with a Glock in any caliber. JMO YMMV

GBK

·
Registered
203 Posts
+1 :hand10:

Been carrying for 20 + years and after all the pistols in my inventory the G26 is the one that trips my trigger for CC. Mainly for the reasons mentioned above and then some of my own CC criteria. While I'll add it's different for everyone, the Glock 26, or even the G27 appear to me to be the ideal CC pistols once all the factors are stacked up and measured objectively. You can't go wrong with a Glock in any caliber. JMO YMMV

GBK
+1 for the G 26 but if glocks don"t do it for ya try the Sig 239, single stack 9mm that cc very well. :santaclaus:

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I too have to side with a smaller gun such as a Kahr PM9 for pocket, small concealment and a Glock 26 for high cap and reliability. I have a 92FS Italian, bought it about 5 -6 months ago. Love the looks and the sexiness of the Beretta's but wouldnt dare try to conceal it and frankly, there are too many polymer high cap's in 9 or other caliber that are lighter and better suited for CCW. Good luck and welcome!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Hands down, the 1911. A Marine taught me handgun basics. I told him I was thinking of buying a 9mm and all he said was "DON'T get a Beretta!". They might not deserve it, but Berettas have a bad reputation for choking. Nuff said.

Shoot them both, then decide. A well-made 1911 is a thing of joy to shoot, and it probably conceals better than a 92FS.

Don't know where your Marine friend is coming from with his "DON'T get a Beretta!" comment but I believe its bad advice IMO. My Beretta Vertec is well past 30K jam free rounds and still going strong without choking on any ammo I've fed it. Maybe his issue pistols have seen better days but I'll put my Vertec up against any 1911 in a torture test gun for gun! It's my IPSC pistol and a few of my clubs members have swapped over from their Glocks and Sigs to the Vertec after shooting mine.

I've been shooting 1911's for over 30 years and shoot the Vertec better and trust it's reliabilty way more. Less recoil and a very accurate pistol. The DA trigger really smooths out after about 1K rounds and is great in SA mode. It also holds more rounds and is much less expensive to shoot than a .45.

The Vertec has pretty much the same grip angle as a flat MS 1911 and is a joy to shoot. With the right belt, holster and shirt it is easy to conceal. In the summer I've been wearing Columbia Fishing Guide shirts. They are fantastic for hot WX wear and concealment.

Here is one eval on it and plenty more on the net to help convince you the Beretta Vertec is one heck of a great defensive weapon.

I'm really past the point of lugging around a full size heavy weapon full time. My old 36 is a joy to shoot and carry. If I'm venturing into iffy area's I'll strap on my H&K P7 with the 36 as my BUG.

Happy shopping! It's a tough decision as Glocks, Sigs, H&K's are all very fine weapons. You just need to find the one that fits you and you can shoot the best.

SG

Beretta Vertec

·
Registered
39 Posts
If you're new to handguns, then the Glock would be a great start. Super simple and tough as nails, (this coming from a guy who can't stand them). If you have your heart set on the Beretta, check out a Taurus 92F. Better price tag and personally, a better safety and all around weapon for that matter.
I've had a Taurus PT92SS for over 17 years. It's a great gun. The only FTF ever was with some old Arabic military surplus ammo that I think I picked up real cheap at a gun show. It's a great shooting gun. Easy to keep on target, great SA and DA trigger.

I can wear it OWB at 3 oclock under a big shirt and it not be too noticeable. Deep conceal, not on your life. For that, I have an LCP, PF9, and, within a week, G36. That's what I carry deep concealed. Which I choose depends on what I'm wearing.

If you want a great shooting gun, get the PT92. If you want deep conceal, get something else.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts