Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Carrying the LCP has been awkward without a proper holster, so I gave it a go at making a simple kydex pocket holster. So far it won't win any beauty contests but the gun pops right out when I want it to and stays in place when it shouldn't.

I strongly encourage anyone else interested in making a holster to go out and buy some kydex. I spent all of about $40 on enough kydex and materials to make 5-10 holsters depending on how many I screw up.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I thought you could just reheat the the kydex and reapply if you messed up. Unless you totally mangle the thing (like twisting it into a pinwheel). I was told it was a very forgiving material.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can reheat it -- I've been making my mistakes after I start cutting it or drilling for rivets.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
I guess what we did for my wife's LCP was pretty boring by comparison-- we simply put out $22 for a Mika Pocket Holster that works well and even looks good!

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
My monitor is a bit dark, so I twiddled with the photo a bit. You might try another shot with it on a dark grey background: large areas of white cause the camera to shut down so much that you lose shadow detail. I also rotated the image from the original, and lightened and upped the contrast on JimmyC4's pocket holster as well. (Photo manipulation services available for anyone, by the way, until I run out of time - PM me).

I that a magazine poking out of the other end?

Nice Kydex work - I just found my stock, and am going to be playing with it this week, I hope.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Nice work! I especially like the spare magazine integration design.

And while you CAN reheat Kydex, you can also overheat it and end up with some bubbles and burning...not sure what it does to the actual function, but you can really see if when overheated (unfortunately learned from experience).

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks paymeister. Didn't intend for that to be the "final" image - just a suggestion of a possible shape.

It stays in the pocket nicely if you draw by grasping inward with the fingers and tugging the gun out a bit with the thumb, at which point it clicks out and can be drawn fully without any friction.

The magazine stays in but not very tightly. I don't have a heat gun or pencil torch for the time being, so each holster is a get it right the first time affair. Once I figure out a design I really like I plan to make molds, but that's a long long ways off.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Good work. I've been wanting to try my hand at making some holsters. Where is a good place to find kydex?

·
Super Moderator
19,009 Posts
keep at it. It takes a bit of experimenting to get the kydex to do what you want.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got mine at that same site - knifekits.com. I used the .08 kydex, but it's a little bit on the thick side for this application. I'll probably order .06 at some point and try that out.

It's fun to make - maybe not practical, but fun. As a college student on summer break I can afford the time.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Good concept! Those LCP's are so tiny they fit great in a back pocket. You'll find a heat gun is a great investment. For a pocket holster you're better off with the thinnest kydex. You can get it to mold very tightly using a press, but I've found small pillows can work well.

Keep practicing.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
I used the .08 kydex, but it's a little bit on the thick side for this application. I'll probably order .06 at some point and try that out.
Yep, I have a hoot toying with Kydex. The .06" thickness is used more for holsters & sheaths. The heavier thicknesses (.08-.09") is used more for belt attachment. Clamping plywood covered with thin, dense, heat-resistant foam in a vice makes for a great press. Have fun & keep at it.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Nice!!

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
Not too shabby,you can use a butane lighter to heat up some spots you want to mold more,just move it back and forth and don't overdo it it will make the kydex malleable pretty quick

·
Registered
703 Posts
Good idea. You could take some emery paper or sandpaper, wrap it over your finger and work on the edges and buff out the nicks and even round the edges and curves a bit. I have been experimenting with Kydex but haven't built anything, just cleaned up some other people's work.

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
Not too shabby,you can use a butane lighter to heat up some spots you want to mold more,just move it back and forth and don't overdo it it will make the kydex malleable pretty quick
I did this to tighten a 'purchased' kydex holster and was surprised how easy it was to do...:yup:

To the OP...Nice effort...I've never tried making something from scratch...keep experimenting.:hand10:

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I hadn't even considered that, but smart to keep in mind. There's no way you could pull the trigger while it's in the holster -- the opposite side of the holster has no cutout as the thumb side does. As far as I can tell, that means I'm in the clear. To get in trouble, you have to have a holster that allows you to operate the gun with the gun still in the holster. Thanks for the pointer, though!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts