Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I picked up my first handgun (outside of Military use) today, a beretta Px4 Storm in 9mm. I get home, clean it out and load up with some hornandy critical defense. But for the past few hours the Sheriff's department has been running around like crazy. They've got the helo up, using the spotlight, yelling stuff over the loudspeaker, cruisers running code around. I don't know what's up, but I'm feeling a whole lot safer knowing my safety is in my own hands now.

And there she is. . .

Today has been a day of new things in my family, I got my gun and my VFW membership card. My dad and my sister both bought new cars today . . . :blink:

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
Sounds like you family is on a 'roll'...:yup:
There is a 'calmness' in knowing that one can at least have the proper tools available to provide some protection from the 'roaming' criminal element in our society.

Stay armed...always have your tools with you...stay safe!

·
Banned
5,252 Posts
Welcome and congrats are in order I reckon. :wave:

Now it just may be my reading comprehension, but it sounds as if you brought the gun home from the Gunstore, cleaned it and loaded it. Am I correct in my thinking on this matter? I'm hoping I'm wrong.

The reason I'm hoping I'm wrong is that I saw no mention of "breaking in" and testing of the gun in question nor testing of the rounds mentioned in your gun. I generally break in a new autoloader with at least 500 rounds of whatever I can get my hands on and then 200 FAILURE FREE rounds of my selected defense load for that gun.

I really am hoping I'm wrong for your sake. Take care and stay safe.

Biker

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
Cool 9mm. :hand10:

Wow, yeah I'd say keep the alert status high until the LEO's are finished, they're after someone.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Hemingway wrote of the comfort he took in the worn walnut handles of his personal sidearm.
Knowing something ... unusual ... is going on outside, and knowing you are capable and able to keep yourself, and your family, safe ... is precious, priceless!
Well done!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BikerRN you are correct, but I'm running out to the range in about an hour to put rounds through it.

I loaded it because I wanted to start a good habit right away. I always carried condition 1 while in the Navy. And I figure should something happen, that chambered round is guarenteed to fire. Even if I have to clear a stopage, it's better than nothing.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Congrats on you're first handgun... :congrats:
Be sure to give us a range report...

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Gongratulations. Safe at home.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Never had police cars and helicopters doing a search in my neighborhood. That would be an uneasy feeling for sure. It sounds like you got the Beretta just in time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Congrats on the new purchase. Now get to the range and put some rounds through it. Got to have that break in for a new semi auto pistol. I like the fact that you posted that you carry a condition 1 weapon. I have seen a lot of pics on here of people carrying a semi auto with the hammer cocked in the holster. Way too much that could go wrong.
Be sure to post a range report.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone. The gun preformed flawlessly using factory ammo (Winchester FMJ) and ate all the critital defense i was willing to shoot today, which was only 10 rounds (its expensive and I only have one box for the time being). I started shooting Miwall reloads and had some FTE stoppages but no other problems ( I chalk that up to crap ammo not the gun).

The gun functions beautifully. The controls and slide are so nice and tight, they make the issue M9s feel like sluts. The safety is a little too tight, hopefully i can just work it a bit to loosen it up.

Sorry about the sluts joke Chief, you GMs are alright.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
All my friends think it's a Glock . . .

I usually tell them the Beretta is a example of fine Italian engineering, like a Ferrari . . . :rofl:

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Never had police cars and helicopters doing a search in my neighborhood. That would be an uneasy feeling for sure. It sounds like you got the Beretta just in time.
Not unusual in My neighborhood, instead of the Police, it is the Border Patrol.

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
First night with my new gun, strange occurrence
At first I was thinking by the title that you may have had a pre-mature discharge. Glad to know all is well with you and yours! Keep up the good work, and keep us posted as to how things went the 'day after' the honeymoon.:image035:

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have my Px4 Storm 9mm for just over two years and NEVER had a failure to fire and I've put many different brands of ammo through my gun. It feeds everything it's given so I usually buy the cheapest USA brand I can find. Right now Wally World has been selling Federals for $9.50 per box so that's my ammo of choice for the moment. For self-defense I use Remington Golden Sabers 124gr +P and/or Magtech Guardian Gold 115gr +P. You'll love the gun, I know I do. Great choice and good luck with it. Hopefully you'll never 'need' it but it's a reliable firearm and will be ready when you are. One thing I noticed though. After a year my 'night sights' didn't glow anymore so I bought a set of Trijicons and even though I'm blind as a bat in the dark without my glasses, I can find my gun on the night table in pitch blackness. You might want to consider the upgrade as well. It's money well spent, especially when the night sights stop glowing. The range I go to charged me $80 installed... you can't beat that price. I saw them on the Internet somewhere for $105 so I got a deal and a half.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts