Defensive Carry banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I've seen this done before.... any recommended methods/brands?

Or will any chord do.
Why do you want to add musical notes to a holster? :rofl: (I couldn't resist)

Personally, adding bungie cord(s) to a holster is junk engineering, at best, and dangerous at worst.

Seriously, if you want a holster with a retention strap, buy one that comes that way from the maker.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Raven makes some of the best kydex holsters, very nicely molded to the firearm from my experience. No need whatsover for a thumb break unless it's department rules (for LEO) or something. Call and send it back to Raven if you want a thumb break.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have one for my vertec.

As an OWB I was NOT confident it would stay in under some activities.

As an IWB it's great.

(I'm going Raven for my LCP too)

Mainly, I just like some kind of thumb strap or retention.

·
Registered
469 Posts
OWB that will stay in with no thumb break - My personal preference is a SERPA level 2 as it uses a trigger guard lock that YOU must release on the draw, Ive ran 5 blocks trying to chase down my dog who decided he wanted deer for dinner one night and it didnt move. I seldom recommend other OWB holsters because I personally HATE thumb breaks (SERPA level 3 has one) But if you really want one with a thumb break for OWB carry, look at blackhawk (not the serpa, but others as well) uncle mikes, SOME desantis holsters (not my favorites, had some recent problems with their company)
Best idea is this - Go to a gun shop and browse the holsters (a sho[p with a good selection) and try before you buy. many shops allow it, just tell the people at the counter and they will assist you.
-Steve

·
Super Moderator
50,611 Posts
Welcome...

from Central Florida!

Don't carry a firearm in a holster that is 'jury-rigged'! :nono:

ret :31:

·
Premium Member
10,046 Posts
chapperjoe, the only time I've seen a bungee type retention device on a holster is on airborne duty holsters designed as a third retention device for holsters used by paratroopers who are going to be jumping out of airplanes. They are also added by the manufacturer.

Personally, if you are wanting to perform this modification on a concealed carry type holster, you are flirting with disaster my friend. Like others have mentioned, it is considered "junk engineering" and a modification I would not recommend.

If you want a holster with a retention strap, why on earth don't you buy one manufactured that way? I'm actually quite curious why don't buy one with a retention strap.

I know, I know... there are those who like to tinker with stuff and are DIY'ers and will do it anyway no matter how foolish it may be.

Maybe some of the dozens of custom holster makers who are members here will chime in and advise for or against.

Bottom line... It's your life on the line. Do as you wish.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I like my raven for the same reason as everyone else - how flat the raven makes the pistol. :)

Just not 100% convinced on the retentiveness.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Not sure if it makes you feel any better, but I ran/jogged down Stone Mountain (park in Georgia) with my M&P Compact in the OWB Raven. It didn't go anywhere.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Do have any idea how many people lose an eye due to bungee cord accidents every year.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Maybe the bungee is to shoot at the BG's eye to distract him...So he can draw his gun and get the drop on the BG...

·
Registered
51 Posts
FWIW, I have a fanny pack that has an adjustable holster - no, really just two velcro straps that go around a weapon - that has a bungee cord for retention. The bungee is secured with more velcro and would pop off with a good jerk if you didn't flip it off first. The whole thing is secured to the velcro back of the fanny pack so that it can be adjusted.

Actually, in this case the bungee is kind of overkill as the weapon isn't going anywhere with the fanny pack zipped up.

So there is a critter like you describe - just no chord. <G>

1 - 14 of 14 Posts