Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, the story is that I've carried a Kel-Tec PF9 for about 2 years now. I've utilized the belt clip that Kel-Tec makes for this weapon and love it. 7+1 capacity of 9mm weighing next to nothing and easily concealed.

If you've shot one you know it is snappy and inaccurate, or at least I'm not accurate with one. Definitely an "ear hole" weapon and designed as such, so no fault to Kel-Tec. That said, I hate shooting it and feel under gunned with a weapon I can not comfortably control.

I have a love affair with the .45 ACP and want to carry it. I'd like your opinions on the G36 and a compact 1911. My Grandfather let me borrow his Kimber Ultra-Carry II to see how I like it. I bought a "clip-draw" for it and found that though not as thin and comfortable as a PF9, its quite easy to conceal as well. This weapon is extremely comfortable to shoot and accurate, as I've found most quality make 1911's are, even the aluminum framed short barrels (nothing is a buttery as my Gov't size Kimber Stainless though...).

I don't have access to a G36 so I was wondering if anyone had made this comparison before, G36 vs. Compact 1911. I understand the carrier loses one round of capacity going to the Glock, but maybe that's worth the trade offs.

All thoughts welcome! Thanks!

THM

·
Registered
274 Posts
I carry the 36 everyday, I might be switching to a 30 thought (more rounds).

The 36 is amazingly easy to conceal and is very light, yet packs a punch!

I would take the 36 over the 1911 for carry purposes due to the fact that it is cheaper, lighter, more reliable, black, and has a smaller grip length than the compact 1911. Weight and grip length are the big two factors when considering a pistol for concealed carry.

Plus, your carry pistol is going to get all full of lint and junk, which is no problem for the Glock, and arguably no problem for the 1911. My problem is, I don't want to get my 1911 all dirty and sweaty from carrying! I don't care about the Glock though. That's why I carry it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
The 2 choices for my edc was between my now 36 and a couple compact 1911s i liked.........I loved both, and still want a 1911. But the Glock came home with me because the 1911s were all 800-1000

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Glock 36

I own a 3 inch 1911 (Defender) and a couple of Glocks, although not the G36 model. I think that in your situation I would go with the Glock for concealed carry. My reasons are:

1. The Glock is probably going to be more reliable than the 1911.
2. The Glock has no thumb safety which you might forget to flick off in a panic situation.
3. The Glock is slightly lighter weight and shorter in the grip, making it easier to conceal.
4. The Glock should be considerably cheaper.

I would add that I would use a holster covering the trigger with either the G36 or a 1911, and would not use a clipdraw. There is a slight chance of an accidental discharge with either gun if the trigger is pulled while inserting the gun inside your waistband.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
I would add that I would use a holster covering the trigger with either the G36 or a 1911, and would not use a clipdraw. There is a slight chance of an accidental discharge with either gun if the trigger is pulled while inserting the gun inside your waistband.
I agree. Also, a Glock or 1911 is larger than the Keltec PF9 and would flop around too much if only fastened by a clip draw. There are numerous IWB holsters on the market that provide a much more stable platform without addding too much bulk to the weapon.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Welcome aboard! I would try to find a 36 so you could do a try before you buy comparison.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
I have the G36 but not a 1911 at the moment. I have carried both and I'd have to give the nod to the Glock for reliability, weight and ease of carry. I'm now carrying my G26 and plan to from now on, but I'd have no problem rotating the G36 into the carry role from time to time. YMMV

GBK

·
Registered
38,055 Posts
I carry the Glock 30 in lieu of the 36 as I like the extra rounds (10+1) and it can take the G21 mag if needed. The 36 isn't that much smaller, and if size was a prime concern, I'd go for the 26 or 27. More rounds in both than the 36 and the 27 still packs quite a punch (compared to the 9mm). But then, is there any caliber you're willing to stand in front of because it's too small?

But if you're looking for a smaller pistol and really want a .45 acp, then the G36 would be a good choice.

·
Registered
431 Posts
The Kimber ultra carry empty weight is 25 ounces. The G36 is 22 1/2. So, there's a difference. Here's a good write up:
GLOCK 36

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
They are two very different pistols in terms of operation--consider if you want a SA pistol or DAO pistol.

As for me, the simplicity and reliability of the Glock 36 win out.

Welcome to this forum!

·
Premium Member
7,579 Posts
G36 all the way. Reliability being the key factor. My research into the micro 1911's show them to be a little more prone to malfunctions than larger 1911's.

I use my G36 in place of my Commander when I need just that little more deep concealment or when I am likely to be bumped around working. I wouldn't want to scrape up the Colt.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I had this same dillemma last year after carrying my Dan Wesson CBOB and finding it woefully uncomfortable. I had a rig I love made for it (HBE COM3 with 20* Cant) but the overall weight bothered me. 9rds of 230gr and the weight of the gun was an awful lot. Yes, I use a proper gun belt (Rafter S).

I picked up a G36 shortly thereafter and have never carried anything but the G36 since then.

I think I am going to branch out into OWB shortly and am going to have HBE make me an OWB rig for the 1911 as its one of my most natural pointing/shooting guns and I don't want to neglect it in its case. :yup:

Cliff Notes: Go the G36 route.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
I have an Ultra Carry and think it's great. I carry a G26 more often than anything else because of weight, size and because I don't want to ding up my Ultra Carry...If I was going to carry a small 45, I'd probably go with a G30 or 36...

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
I use to carry a fully customized 1911 and it was heavy as a boat anchor but flawless. In fact, I procured many of the parts and sent the lot off to a real pro for the build. I have also owned a G36 but frankly I didn’t keep it very long for no good reason. If I were to return to a .45 semi-auto, I would most likely buy another (that hurts) model G36. Its pretty much perfect out of the box with no fuss or break-in issues. I also liked the balance and feel in my hand.
Regards,

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys. All good info. $$ is not an issue for me, so no points given to the relative inexpensive nature of the G36.

I also plan to train with whatever I get, and plan that if it is a 1911, breaking the thumb safety will become muscle memory. Guys have been doing it for nearly 100 years right?

I understand and appreciate the concerns about carrying on an unprotected trigger with both firearms. However, isn't it more reasonable to assume that a G36 trigger would be hit before a 1911 thumb safety would be disengaged, the grip safety disengaged, and then the trigger being pulled? This is how I've approached this issue. The Kel-Tec trigger I was carrying is about a full 0.75" 9# pull so no concern there! The only reason I considered the ClipDraw is I don't always wear a jacket/coat or even a long t-shirt. I'm looking for ultimate comfort short of open carry. If I buy a new firearm, I won't have the $ to up-size all my pants 2" (ok, I can hear you already..."buy the Glock and take the savings to buy pants").

I also do love the simplicity of the Glock. I own a 17 and grew up on Glocks as my father is a LEO and Glock Certified Armorer. You might even say I'm biased towards them for this reason, so I really am trying to give the 1911 a fair shake. I see that most of you have recommended the G36, so I suppose I'll have to get my hands on one for a few weeks at least.

Any other thoughts are appreciated. I think I know what my next course of action is!

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
In my 40+ years with guns and especially handguns, I have seen some pretty bazaar things. It’s almost mystical to say the least. An unprotected trigger will eventually find its way into an unintended discharge. I have personally seen or know of too many instances whereby a firearm has gone cannon when it wasn’t suppose to. Be it a highly respected professional in retirement, to the younger quick-witted sharpshooter, it just plain happens.
Regards,

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Noted and appreciated.

The engineer in me puts everything into numbers, percentages, and chance, of which I see an accidental charge chance as slim. Perhaps I need to inject a bit of reality into the equation!

Thanks again. This is why I joined!

·
Super Moderator
50,596 Posts
I have two Kimbers, and two Glocks, one is the Glock-36.
Over a couple of years the Kimbers have gone into the safe and the Glock-36 has become my EDC...what a gun, I love it.:danceban::danceban:

Get the Glock-36!:yup::bier:

·
Registered
74 Posts
I find it interesting that quite a few people said a G36 would be more reliable then a 1911. I don't believe that's the case. I also think a lot of it has to do with what fits you well. With me, I can't stand the feel of a glock, I feel like I'm holding a brick. The 1911 just feels so comfortable and right in my hand. Weight is another issue that has been brought up. My commander weighs 34-35 oz with an empty mag. You can get lighter 1911s, you can get heavier. Anything loaded with 7-11 230g .45 acp bullets is going to have a lot of weight on their belt. I find the 1911 very easy to conceal IWB and very comfortable. Go with what feels best to you, not what everyone says you should get. :smile:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts