Defensive Carry banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently had my Kel-Tec PF-9 cerakoted in tan, and took it to the range for a break-in session this afternoon. I had the feedramp polished when it was coated, so I was hoping for a flawless performance. I have heard that these are generally very very good, or a total waste of plastic and metal!

I only took 150 rounds with me, cheapo blazer brass 115 gr FMJ. I was really just wanting to get a general feel for the little fella, more than test it out for accuracy.

First 50 rounds, flawless. No failures, no issues at all. Didn't recoil nearly what I was expecting from such a small slim package, and I was smiling from ear to ear. Then the first magazine from the second box, I had a failure to feed. It ejected the spent casing fine, just jammed on loading the next round. Cleared easily after removing the magazine, and fired the rest of the box just fine. Box three second magazine had another failure to feed. Same easy clear, and the rest of the rounds fired perfectly. So I had 2 FTF out of 150 rounds... not great.

Granted, the gun is filthy dirty at this point, and I should have probably cleaned it up after the first box, but I didn't. I plan to strip it down, scrub it up, and run another 100 rounds through it tomorrow. I know all pistols do better after a little use, and am hoping for a perfect run tomorrow. It's light, small, easy to bring on target, and am hoping it will work its' way into a carry rotation with my Glock 26....which by the way has NEVER had a failure of any kind, for any reason, EVER... after about 700 rounds, maybe more. THAT is the standard for me.

And it may be too high of a bar for the Kel-Tec... time will tell. If so, it wouldn't be the first time I sold a gun that didn't perform to that standard!
And just for grins, here's how it compares to my G26...same size, except skinny!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Kel tec pistols like to run clean, they do not run good when dirty. the older pf 9 have problems but the newer ones run better.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Good lookin job on the cerakote. Ive been toying with getting a pf-9 for summer carry. Ive shot a friends and I kinda liked it. kts are a crap shoot as far as Im concerned either you get a good one or not. I have the p-32 and it has been a great little gun. Hope yours turns out to be the same.

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
They are a great CCW for the right shooter. You have to learn to shoot them on their terms. No limp wristing, keep them clean & lubed and shoot decent 115-124 gr ammo. If you do that they will most certainly get the job done! I've had my PF-9in hard chrome for a couple of years and I have had no trouble with it Enjoy it!

Reactions: zonker1986

·
Registered
515 Posts
The cerakote looks great! I didn't know they could do that to plastic. I expected to see the slide in tan instead. My Sig 250 is actually being cerakoted right now in dark earth ....just the slide.

·
Banned
1,774 Posts
I have a PF9 that is not properly broken in yet. I have about 70+ rounds through it at the moment, and I am trying all different brands of 115 gr. and even 124 gr. just to see what it likes best. I really can't tell at this point because it eats them all without a hiccup. I bought a few boxes of 124gr. NATO by mistake some time ago and I intend to run a few rounds of that through soon.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I had a good one a couple of years ago and I have a bad one now. Just got it recently for summer carry. After 250 rounds I have only managed to completely empty a magazine without a malfunction three times. Plagued with failures to extract, leaving the spent casing in the chamber, feeding the next round from the magazine and completely tying up the gun. I've tried every piece of advice I can find attempting to correct the problem, but to no avail. Ammo is too expensive to waste any more on it. I'm thinking of using it for a fishing weight. You get what you pay for.............if you're lucky!

·
Banned
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In fairness, I had a LGS polish the feed ramp and clean it up with their "fluff and buff" before I took it to the range. I have heard that Kel-Tec doesn't do much (anything) to test out guns before they ship, so I wanted to give it every opportunity to work. Plus, since it had been cerakoted, I wanted to make sure there was no paint/coating where it didn't belong!
Like I said, I did have 2 FTF, but I think it was just too dirty to function...a common malady with small-frame guns of any make. My right hand looked like I had been digging in a coal mine after 100 rounds, so I can imagine how fouled the internals were. Still due another 200 rounds before I decide to keep or sell it.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
For people that have had problems with FTE's on their Keltec PF9's, usually it is a weak extractor, one of the suggestions I did on mine when I had it, was that I requested that another extractor be sent to me from Keltec CS. I then installed it onto my PF9 ON TOP of the present extractor with a longer screw from Home Depot. Once I did that never had a problem with FTE's, however with the double extractor it is now flinging brass twice as far as before. God Bless :smile:

·
Premium Member
3,074 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just sold off my Keltec to fund my Shield purchase. I ran about 400 rounds through it and never had a problem. As people have mentioned, it's a crap shoot on whether you will get one one reliable out of the box. For me, it was fine. I just didn't care for the 2 mile long trigger pull. Lol

·
Registered
562 Posts
For people that have had problems with FTE's on their Keltec PF9's, usually it is a weak extractor, one of the suggestions I did on mine when I had it, was that I requested that another extractor be sent to me from Keltec CS. I then installed it onto my PF9 ON TOP of the present extractor with a longer screw from Home Depot. Once I did that never had a problem with FTE's, however with the double extractor it is now flinging brass twice as far as before. God Bless :smile:

I have a new extractor and spring on the way from CS. I assume you mean the extractor spring in the portion in bold above. Thanks for the info, I'll give it a try. What can you tell me about the longer screw you got from Home Depot?

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I have a new extractor and spring on the way from CS. I assume you mean the extractor spring in the portion in bold above. Thanks for the info, I'll give it a try. What can you tell me about the longer screw you got from Home Depot?

Yes basically you will have 2 extractors on top of each other held down by one longer screw. I found a phillips screw that was just a tad longer and then sanded the tip of it down a bit till it held the firing pin in the channel but still kept it in place where it will not fly off. Not really much sanding to make it fit and work if you find one that is just a tad longer than the stock one. I hope that helps. God Bless :smile:

·
Banned
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Why cerakote it when you can get a new grip for $35?

Mainly because they have been out of stock for almost 6 months...and not sure if they will ever be "back in stock" per Kel-Tec!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts