Defensive Carry banner

First range test of my new Glock

3K views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  redrick 
#1 ·
I previously posted about getting a Glock 19. Today I got the chance to try it out.
I have not shot any Glocks since a few rounds from a first generation 17 not long after they had come out, so it was my first real experience with carrying and shooting one.
I have owned, shot and handled a large range of handguns, including shooting quite a bit of IPSC with a tuned Springfield 1911 back in the late 80s. I can say that I think I shoot this 19 better than any other hand gun I have owned.

I made a AKJ concealco style holster for it the night I got it.

I am lucky enough to live where I can drive 20 minutes to public land and go shooting so I grabbed some targets and a mix of ammo and headed out to see how it shot.

I started out with a magazine of Blaser Brass. This is the first group I shot at about 15 yards, standing weaver.

I shot about 100 rounds of the Blaser Brass and Winchester White box. And about 50 of some mixed brass 115 JHP police reloads. Everything fired and functioned 100%
This was my last group of the day. 115 JHP fired at 10 yards drawing from concealed, rapid fire.

I found that the gun fit my hand like it was made for it. When drawing from the holster the sights lined up perfectly to the target and I did not find myself needing to adjust the sight picture at all. The recoil was not noticeable (especially compared to my Kel-Tec p11) and it snapped back on target quickly.
I was very impressed with this pistol after just 150 rounds, it will definitely replace my Kel-Tec as my EDC.
The only problem I had was the magazine release. I need to break my grip more than I like to hit it with my thumb. So I may look into an extended release. Other than that, I think (with many apologies to John Browning) that for me, this may turn out to be the perfect carry/combat pistol.

See less See more
#5 ·
I can say that I think I shoot this 19 better than any other hand gun I have owned.
That's it! I think you're hooked! Thanks for the range report, and keep up the good work! By all means....Glock on!

#7 ·
303british,

Good job, I love my 19 too.

Where in CO do you live and what public lands are you using?

Look into the Vickers Tactical magazine release. It is slightly longer than the stock piece but shorter than the Glock extended mag release. It is perfect in size, nicely rounded for no sharp edges. I use it on my 19 and 26, works perfect. Manufactured by tangodown.

TangoDown

#8 ·
Hey Andrew, I hope this is andrew anyways, I have the g 19 as well but my girlfriend keeps it by the bed at night while im at work. I love this gun to . You have made me 3 excellant holsters as well in the past couple years that I love and use alot. You did live in Idaho correct? William

#10 ·
HighAltitude. Thanks for the link to the Vickers Tactical magazine release, it looks like just what I need. I'm up past Divide, there is some BLM land access up off Teller County 1 I shoot on

Leadtag, sorry I'm not Andrew, I have never sold any of my holsters, just make them for myself.

And thanks everyone else, I'll let you know how it is to carry this week.

#14 ·
Congrats on your new Glock. A G19 was my first Glock, but it didn't take long before the little brother G26 showed up....

#16 ·
We walk the same path my brother.......

The 26 will be following him home soon I bet! Try to fight it, but its so darn hard too!

#15 ·
Its almost to darn easy with these handguns.......and the 19 is really close to perfection!

#18 ·
I purchased an extended mag release and installed it on my G19 but took it out right away. I'm worried about the ext. mag released getting pushed accidentally when carrying IWB. And since I don't carry extra mags, I decided to just stay with the stock mag release.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.