Defensive Carry banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally got all the pieces together for my Ruger Precision Rimfire for survival/hunting. For a small rifle, it has a great feel to it. I outfitted it with Warne Rings (steel), the Vortex Strike Eagle 1x8 LPVO, a stock pack, and a Vickers VCAS sling. The whole package weighs 8.3 pounds.

I laser boresighted the rifle prior to heading out to the range this morning. I was on paper at 25 yards with the first shot, walked it out to 50 yards, and then zeroed at 100 yards. Air temperature was 63 degrees, winds were 8-10 knots and shifting, and elevation was 5300 feet.

The rifle shoots great. Today I was shooting CCI Mini Mags 40 grain, just because that is what I have a lot of on hand. I have ordered a couple other types of 22 ammo to test. There was no recoil - it was like shooting a BB gun and it was surprising how quiet it shot. The barrel never heated up.

Once I was zeroed at 100 yards, the rifle shot very good groups. One of my last ones is shown here. There was a third shot that was blown off the paper by 1.5 inches by a surprise gust as I pulled the trigger. Otherwise, I am sure it would have held a one inch group. For a sub $400.00 rifle, I am very impressed.

The Vortex Strike Eagle Scope does exactly what I had hoped it would do. The image is very clean and bright. The red dot really helps against a dark target. I may experiment with putting a small neoprene pad under the stock pack, but I really don't need to hunt for a good sight picture.

I was having a tough time getting the Lab Radar to register shots, so I don't have a good average velocity just yet.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
It looks like the rifle is doing its thing. On the LabRadar, did you try setting the sensitivity to a lower setting, maybe 1 or 2? If that doesn't do it, you may have to shoot with the muzzle behind the unit.

Reactions: G26Raven

·
Registered
8,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It looks like the rifle is doing its thing. On the LabRadar, did you try setting the sensitivity to a lower setting, maybe 1 or 2? If that doesn't do it, you may have to shoot with the muzzle behind the unit.
I had the Lab Radar set on 1 and the bullet weight was set correctly...

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I had the Lab Radar set on 1 and the bullet weight was set correctly...
Did it seem the unit was triggering to the report? If the orange LED flashed, it triggered.
I've found that one of the harder things about the LabRadar is getting alignment right, the unit really needs a better sight to aid alignment, that notch is barely sufficient.

Reactions: G26Raven

·
Registered
8,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did it seem the unit was triggering to the report?
Nope. That's the issue. I sent a message to tech support at Lab Radar. I did not try with the muzzle behind the unit since they say in the manual not to do that....

·
Registered
8,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1 - 7 of 7 Posts