Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Church robbed during service
The Washington Times ^ | 1-3-05 | Gary Emerling

Several congregants at Mount Zion United Methodist Church in Bel Air, Md., thought the gunman with a ski mask who interrupted their New Year's Day service was part of their pastor's lesson. But the man wasn't there to impart any spiritual instruction. He was there to rob them. "We were about to watch a video clip [and] we heard a voice saying, 'This is a robbery' from the back of the church," said Gary Davis, who was among about 50 worshippers at the Sunday evening service. "Basically, we all thought it was a skit. Everybody was turning around smiling at the guy." The smiles faded quickly as the gunman cursed and ordered some children to collect wallets and purses. "Once I realized it was real, there [was] still an element of disbelief," said Mr. Davis, 55, who has attended Mount Zion for about 16 years. "You're in church, and you never expect that to happen during church." Bob Thomas, a spokesman for the Harford County Sheriff's Office, said the armed robbery was the county's first during a worship service in at least 10 years. Investigators could not recall the last such incident. The robber burst in at about 6:37 p.m. as the congregation was ending the praise-and-worship portion of the service, Mr. Thomas said. The gunman ordered three boys -- ages 11, 8 and 6 -- and one woman to gather wallets and purses. The Rev. Craig McLaughlin, Mount Zion's pastor for 19 years, said the gunman appeared agitated and nervous. "I was just sitting there while it was going on praying that everybody would stay still and not do anything that would get anybody hurt," said Mr. McLaughlin, 48, who was in a front pew.

(Excerpt) Read more at washingtontimes.com ...

Obviously, the FIRST rule of gunfighting is.....HAVE A GUN!

One of the elders in my church carries his 1911 45ACP cocked and locked every Sunday with full knowledge and support of the Pastor. He is also in my IDPA Club. Sometimes, if I know I'm going to run errands with the wife after services, I'll be carrying my Sig P245. But I feel a little bit ODD carrying in the House of the Lord.

What about y'all? Church carry where it's LEGAL to do so, like here in Florida?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Some states it's prohibited, but not here.

If I went to church I'd carry there.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
My parents had their car stolen at church, and I've met a man who was robbed at church.

Goblins naturally resent church going folks, and with all the crazy extremism, there's no telling what could happen. What better way for a terrorist to make a statement?

It's not just some Al Quada sympathizer I worry about. There's some of these radical leftists who are so dead set against any sort of faith, and they're crazy. In fact, any crazy person would do well to attack a church to cause the most possible shock and trauma.

I carry there, and I just ordered another holster so I could carry my XD40 there.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Legal here and tho I am not a churchgoer, would still (and have) carried to the occasional event, like baptism, wedding etc.

I have no qualms about it and feel it is nothing sacriligious.

Of course MD - well - folks are supposed to be always wearing their victim labels. What else can they do when no carry to speak of. :mad: I feel for them.

There is no sacred protection in a church - not much different from stores, businesses - almost anywhere. Thus the absurdity of preventing folks from carrying when in what are sometimes ''ripe pickings'' places for BG's - who of course often will (correctly) assume zero resistance.

Risk is everywhere, anytime.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
"He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
Luke 22:36

·
Registered
950 Posts
I tell ya what I drive a pretty good distance to church and I don't know if it is legal or not to carry here in NC. However, I do leave it in the car. :redface:

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I'm a Pastor of a small country church. We believe the Bible, I know how to use the "sword of the Lord", and I'm prepared to feed the flock the Good Lord has called me to Pastor. I'm also prepared and willing to defend my church family with prayer, but also with my Kahr P9 that I carry. When I first started carrying while preaching I was concerned about weapon security and the flapping of my suit coat as I tend to get a little,...huh, excited when I preach. But I've gained confidence in my holster and use a decent belt so it's no problem.

I once had a man aske if he could "open carry" to our church. I suspect his motives weren't right and I said no. I don't want anything in the church that might interfer with the worship of our Lord. However, if any member wanted to carry concealed I'd be fine with it so long as it's done legally. I simply cannot condone carrying Ilegally as a Christian. No matter how one tries to reason or rationalize, God has commanded true Christians to obey the authority of government unless their laws contradict the His laws. I may not like it but I'm called to obey God, not debate Him and how He's set things up.

I believe we're probably safer in our church service than just about any where in the US but it doesn't hurt to carry. I think if someone popped in with a weapon and just demanded wallets, I think I'd cooperate but get a hold of my weapon as I stook behind the pulpit. guess I'd have to play it by ear after that!

What I worry about more in the part of Missouri I'm in, is someone hight on meth coming into the services and becoming violent.

I won't preach to anyone on the forum, but please don't let all of the garbage of man's religeon keep you from looking into a true relationship with God through His Son Jesus.

God Bless.

Gideon

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
It's legal in Texas, and I do it every Sunday.

·
Administrator
143,580 Posts
Remember that issues of religion are hot on the front burner these days.
Churches & Houses Of Worship (In General) are considered to be Viable Targets of various radical groups worldwide.
So I think there is a very valid reason to carry in church.

·
1952 - 2006
1,371 Posts
It's legal here in Nevada.

If I went to Church I would certainly carry, just as I do everywhere else.

The only church I've been in, in a looong time, is 8,000' up a mountian.

Now that's where I feel religion. (and I'm carrying there too).:yup:

·
Registered
99 Posts
I know of at least one Synagog in the Spakane area that has an ad hok security force and John Farnum just wrote about training ushers for a church.
If one does not carry in church, it is just another unarmed victim zone.
Rob

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I read a book on this subject about a guy who, in the 1970's was in a church in South Africa that was attacked by terrorists who threw grenades and murdered the flock...like....well like sheep. There was ONE guy, in a back row with a 38sp snubnose. He advanced up close behind the BG's and opened fire. He had no spare ammo, just the FIVE rounds in the cylinder. It was enough to stop the attack and wound one of the terrorists. A bunch of folks still died, but it got a lot of folks talking about self defense. The guy wrote a book on the incident and specifically about the right and DUTY of Christians to always be armed and to always resist evil. It's called SHOOTING BACK and is available at http://www.wnd.com in the shopnet daily section under books.

·
Super Moderator
23,565 Posts
It's legal in Texas unless the church has a 30.06 notice posted. Same in Oklahoma. I'm going to a wedding next week in Oklahoma and will have my G17 on my hip unless the church is posted.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
My Mom just remarried on December 2nd in the local Catholic Church - I left my .38 in the car. Like Ex, I just don't feel right carrying my gun in the House of God. I keep my usual edc Benchmade in my jacket pocket but that's the most (as well as the least) I'm comfortable with.

It's one of those personal choices we all make and I don't judge other's decisions to carry there, it's just something I don't do. It's actually the only place I DON'T carry where it's legal to do so.
Jack

·
Registered
427 Posts
I believe it was September of 1999 at the Wedgewood Baptist Church in Ft. Worth, Texas where 7 were killed in services that morning. If there had been a CCWer there that day, it's very possible the outcome would've been different. To quote BlueLion, "'Nuff said!"...

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I often post on a forum for a local Christian band. It’s basically a small group where everybody knows each other at least somewhat outside of the Internet. I’m the token gun nut on the board. They even gave me a weapons forum, which I use to educate people on firearms, the 2nd amendment, and the Christianity and self-defense. It’s mostly been positive. A couple of guys are even thinking about getting CHLs. I recently posted a poll of concealed carry in church. The results were pretty positive. I even think one or two of the negative votes were people just trying to bait me (we do that a lot).

·
Registered
750 Posts
Although I am an agnostic, I can understand why a believer would not feel it right to "carry" in church.

But as a realist, I would not want to bet my life, or the lives of others, that the BG's share that conviction.

mm

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
madmike said:
I can understand why a believer would not feel it right to "carry" in church.
The idea can be a difficult one for many to get use to. The point I stress is that the church is a building. It is made clear in the New Testament that our bodies are the real temple. So I don’t have a problem carrying in a building so I can protect the real temples.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts