Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WARNING: The following account contains no pithy, hoplophobe-slaying remarks.

I was grocery shopping after work with my gun on my belt.

Some lady comes up to me next to the ice cream case and says, "Can I ask you a question?"

I kept looking for the ice cream I wanted, but I knew what was coming, "Sure."

"Why are you carrying your weapon in here?" At least she had sense enough not to call it "that thing."

"I carry it to protect myself."

"Do you have a business card or anything?"

WTF? "No."

"Are you in law enforcement or anything like that?"

"No."

"Do you have a permit for it?"

"Yes."

"So why do you carry a gun?"

"Like I said, I carry it to protect myself."

"Who do you think you need protection from, people like me who are very unnerved by it?"

I finished up, chuckling, with, "I hope not."

With that, I just turned and went down the aisle, looking for the next item on my list.

Overall, pretty uneventful. Sure, there are TONS of smart azz comments I could have made at any point, but it wouldn't have done any good. I figured I'd do my part by being a clean cut guy, who isn't a cop, carrying a gun and not stirring up trouble.

·
Registered
615 Posts
"Who do you think you need protection from, people like me who are very unnerved by it?"

No, the people that you SHOULD be worried about more than my sidearm.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I once told an anti "because it's fun killing bad people."
I thought he was going to faint.
It was sort of fun

AFS

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
"No - but protection against those who might wish to take my life or yours".

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
NOOO like this!

I was grocery shopping after work with my gun on my belt.

Some lady comes up to me next to the ice cream case and says, "Can I ask you a question?"

I kept looking for the ice cream I wanted, but I knew what was coming, but with a big smile I said "Sure how can I help you."

"Why are you carrying your weapon in here?" At least she had sense enough not to call it "that thing."

"well this is a high crime area and I carry it to protect human life"

"Do you have a business card or anything?"

WTF? "No, are you interested in a protection service."

"Are you in law enforcement or anything like that?"

"Was but not now."

"Do you have a permit for it?"

"But of course I do it's the criminals that don't."

"So why do you carry a gun?"

"Like I said, I carry it to protect My and the life's of others not so fortunate to be legally armed."

I finished up, chuckling, with, "It's not you I'm worrying abut Darlin it's the criminal that is out to Kill Maim rape and otherwise cause grievous injury to the unaware like yourself."

With that, I just turned and went down the aisle, looking for the next item on my list.

·
Registered
563 Posts
"No honey. It's not about You. It's about the bad guy who wants to kill you, & me, IF he can get away with it."

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
It's So simple, Why do you carry a Gun?, Because I can.Or if you
prefer the smarty answer, Im just taking it for a walk.

·
Registered
140 Posts
It was this one's turn today. The other pistol came out with me yesterday and this one was jealous.

·
Registered
171 Posts
"Why are you carrying your weapon in here?"
"Because it won't do me a damn bit of good at home if I need it here!"

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
blueyedevil said:

No, the people that you SHOULD be worried about more than my sidearm.
superb.

:congrats:

But, I can't resist ... in fun:

Q: "So why do you carry a gun?"
A: "Because DRAGGING it would scratch the finish."

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Because DRAGGING it would scratch the finish.
That was funny, Big John.

Ya done good. No smartass remarks to turn her off, just plain facts. Sure you will think of 100 better responses later once your brain has time to process it more, but the answers you gave were good.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
"It's been cooped up in the safe all week. I thought I'd be nice and take it out for a walk."

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
On a serious note, she didn't sound like the complete ignorant normal anti. Maybe it turned a light on seeing someone with a handgun that was acting completely normal with it.

·
Registered
11,431 Posts
Your account of what happened was precise and you stated the events appropriately. You did well in handeling the situation the way that you did.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
SammyIamToday said:
On a serious note, she didn't sound like the complete ignorant normal anti. Maybe it turned a light on seeing someone with a handgun that was acting completely normal with it.
I don't see her that way. Did you see that she STARTED OUT by asking for a business card? If one has a benign agenda, they'd only ask that after they'd talked with the person. Instead, she asked up front, indicating that she had an agenda. My thought is that she had already made up her mind before she asked, and she wanted a business card so she could either write his employer to complain, or drop a note to the newspaper about Mr. John Smith who works for XYZ Corp ... you get the drift.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
Excellent job mzmtg! :35:

I think many of us might have said some defensive and/or wise (but understandable) comment.

I might have asked her for her business card.

·
Registered
199 Posts
BigJon I would have to agree, it was her way of saying, can I get a copy of your drivers license? You can't turn an anti's "light" on in that short of an instance. You could save an anti from a serious altercation, with your weapon, and they'd say thanks, why you carrying a gun, are you a cop?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts