Defensive Carry banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've carried for a few years now, but not while running (which I do a few times a week). I've tried to find a solution to the carry-while-running problem. (Your EDC holster is not an option here.)

First attempt at using a hikers', gadget belt (or whatever it's called) was a resounding failure.

Then, I came across a carry system that, for me, mostly does the job; it's a Pistol Wear PT-2, and it carries my LC-9, my licenses and a car key, all fairly well while I pretend to run fast.

Problems? Yup, when it gets warmer, I will feel the heat. Ideally, a solution will happen. Also, while I would not call it "printing", I do look 5-10 #s heavier with this 12 Oclock centered pouch. Oh well, if I lose 5# (ha ha) it will be a tossup.

At least now while running, I am carrying (legal and responsible, as always).

·
Banned
17 Posts
I usually run with my Glock 26 in a belly band. I usually slip my cell phone between band and my body. My house key gets tied to my shorts.

If i'm running at night i have a light in my hand with shock cord looped around it.

·
Banned
7,033 Posts
A "short" run for me is 5 or 6 miles. I average about 60 miles a week. There is no system that I would ever be comfortable with :smile: Glad you found something that works for you.

Reactions: 1911srule

·
Banned
7,033 Posts
I usually run with my Glock 26 in a belly band. I usually slip my cell phone between band and my body. My house key gets tied to my shorts.

If i'm running at night i have a light in my hand with shock cord looped around it.
Did you forget a change of clothes as well LOL....

·
Banned
3,343 Posts
I have done similar things, but I'm wondering if you can say, roughly, 'why'. Just a perception of reduced risk? Actual 'danger' at places? Run at night?

Ever been 'confronted'?

·
Registered
212 Posts
The 26 is the smallest firearm i own. I thought about an LCP just to have for running. I usually run 2-4 miles a time.
I've also considered getting a pocket .380, namely LCP, just for running. I don't want to carry anything smaller than a 9 in all other situations.

I'm not willing to carry more weight and size than an LCP for running, so the .380 is much better than nothing.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Another option is brisk walking. Many studies show the cardio and muscular advantages are equal without the destruction of knee joints etc.
One mile of walking is comparable to a mile of running, but a minute of walking is not near as effective as a minute of running (for those able to do either). It's hard to fit the same amount of exercise in a time restricted day through walking as compared to running.

Some people cannot handle any running without overwhelming their joints, but no one's knees suffer from running if mileage stays within the knees limitations, which is more for some, less for others.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A "short" run for me is 5 or 6 miles. I average about 60 miles a week. There is no system that I would ever be comfortable with :smile: Glad you found something that works for you.
I am truly impressed.

60 miles is a rare record month for me.

Carry on!

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Another option is brisk walking. Many studies show the cardio and muscular advantages are equal without the destruction of knee joints etc.
If my joints ever go south, I'll be doing exactly that. Currently, I get some nice hikes in the Idaho foothills, and of course winter skiing to round out my running. It's all great.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have done similar things, but I'm wondering if you can say, roughly, 'why'. Just a perception of reduced risk? Actual 'danger' at places? Run at night?

Ever been 'confronted'?
Interesting question.

My objective is to carry, safely, wherever and whenever I can. This is something I learned in 3 different classroom training sessions on concealed carry.

Where I used to run, along the American River in Sacramento, there was a real and present danger to joggers and walkers and bikers along the Jedediah Smith trail. (Carry was forbidden by county law, unfortunately.) I was once confronted by a weird person, can't say he was for sure a danger, but I could and did outrun him. And, my car was once burglarized while I was running.

Now, I run along a river in Idaho. Some of the places I run are well-traveled, some are more remote. Idaho is much safer than California, statistically, but no place is completely safe. And, the river that I run along does get occasional critters (coyotes, wolves, and mountain lion), not daily, but the state fish and game folks do say that they do enter the area. Then, there's that whole vicious dog thing, ya never know.

Bottom line, we can't know in advance where a threat might appear. It's up to us to stay prepared (and hope we never, ever need to use our weapons or training).

Reactions: MAJOkie

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Put it in your backpack ? That will assist the wait lose. :35:

·
Registered
2,549 Posts

Back when I jogged I preferred a belly band, too. It worked well for me.

·
Banned
17 Posts

Ever been 'confronted'?
Night time running, dogs don't get along with me either. I've been bit before.

Plus the reasons DZUS listed.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I have the Pistol Wear PT-2 as well. When I was running (pre-herniated disk), I would carry my 13 oz LCR in it. Pretty comfortable.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I use to carry my Super Red hawk in an ankle holster when I jogged. I never made it out of the yard because I could only jog in tight, clockwise circle.

Reactions: Nmuskier
1 - 19 of 19 Posts