Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This goes along with my other thread about my son learning fire starting.

My boy had taken a small box and wrote "survival kit" on it and filled it with all sorts of odds and ends. Inside were plastic frogs, loose buttons, arrowheads, a broken carabiner, and a Pokemon card. :biggrin2:

His birthday is next month, so I think I'll have to get some of his own survival stuff - a better firestarter, a compass, and some other bits. It'll be a balance between practical and fun for his age, like a paracord bracelet with the compass on it. It can even include sillier things like bug-hunting stuff.

For a previous birthday I gave him a Leatherman Leap, so the multitool is taken care of. The Leap comes with the blade uninstalled, which is a nice option for a younger kid who is still clumsy with his digits. I've told he's not to take it to school and why, just in case "they" find the saw blade or screwdriver menacing. :rolleyes:

The firestarter in my other thread is much too small for his hands, and I had to rig a lanyard onto it for a better grip. But I'd like for him to have his own new one, and a model better suited for his hands. I'm thinking the Gerber Bear Grylls chunky-grip model would be perfect, but I'm open to other options.

And survival fiction or manual book ideas are also welcome! He loves to read.

Any ideas you guys have are welcome. I do want to keep the kit practical but FUN, so brights colors and kid friendly are a plus. And I don't want to spend $$$, because he might misplace an item or two.

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
How about some sort of fishing stuff, or anything else that can be used to catch food?

·
Super Moderator
18,049 Posts
Two things I would include are a “space” blanket and a whistle. The blanket can be used either for warmth or as a shelter and the sound of the whistle will carry much farther than a child’s voice.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a space blanket in my kit, but the downside for a kid is you really can't unwrap one and then get it packaged down tiny and flat again. It wouldn't be "fun" for him to have something he can't open and try out and then repackage well.

I'm waffling on getting either the SOL poncho and the SOL emergency bivvy. The bivvy would be great for sleeping in, but the poncho he could also wear. The poncho looks like a half-sleeve for an adult, but would cover him up completely.

I've found some signal mirror/whistle combos that look good.

Reactions: msgt/ret

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Small sewing kit
Small fishing line with hook
Compass
Pocket knife
Fire starter
Wrist rocket with ammo
Small tarp to make a shelter
Duct tape
Rope
Hand warmers
Whistle
Hand crank light/radio
Glow sticks
Extra ammo for their air soft or pellet gun or arrows for their bow (weapon of choice)

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
What about some small first aide items. My son loves band aides. You might also get a small water purification straw. He could really impress his buddies drinking water out of a lake.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good idea on the glow sticks. I can get the kiddie versions in bulk packs at the discount store so he can play with them and I can keep refilling his kit. I'll skip the fishing stuff for now. I'm having a compass/necklace and bracelet made for him. I have a pocket shortwave/am/fm radio I can add, and he will get the first aid and sewing.

·
Premium Member
1,332 Posts
This goes along with my other thread about my son learning fire starting.

My boy had taken a small box and wrote "survival kit" on it and filled it with all sorts of odds and ends. Inside were plastic frogs, loose buttons, arrowheads, a broken carabiner, and a Pokemon card. :biggrin2:

His birthday is next month, so I think I'll have to get some of his own survival stuff - a better firestarter, a compass, and some other bits. It'll be a balance between practical and fun for his age, like a paracord bracelet with the compass on it. It can even include sillier things like bug-hunting stuff.

For a previous birthday I gave him a Leatherman Leap, so the multitool is taken care of. The Leap comes with the blade uninstalled, which is a nice option for a younger kid who is still clumsy with his digits. I've told he's not to take it to school and why, just in case "they" find the saw blade or screwdriver menacing. :rolleyes:

The firestarter in my other thread is much too small for his hands, and I had to rig a lanyard onto it for a better grip. But I'd like for him to have his own new one, and a model better suited for his hands. I'm thinking the Gerber Bear Grylls chunky-grip model would be perfect, but I'm open to other options.

And survival fiction or manual book ideas are also welcome! He loves to read.

Any ideas you guys have are welcome. I do want to keep the kit practical but FUN, so brights colors and kid friendly are a plus. And I don't want to spend $$$, because he might misplace an item or two.
I think you are a great parent. Never heard of this before. Congrats on your project.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
When our boys turn 8 they get a "man bag" which comes with all sorts of goodies for survival like the aforementioned as well as some tools and other things useful for hanging out in the woods, creating havoc with their ingenuity and new found freedom to explore more on their own.

·
Super Moderator
24,665 Posts
Here's the best book ever to trigger the love of the outdoors in young ones: My Side of the Mountain

This book was read and re-read by me as a youth.

Look at the Boy Scout Manual too - it had a lot of age appropriate camping, hiking stuff.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I think it is great that he is interested in survival and that he wants to learn skills. I try to take a practical approach to surviving an emergency. I don't figure that I will be a Daniel Boone if an emergency arises. We have a home and a camper so I have a good supply of fresh water and propane to cook on if utilities are not available. I think about what needs to be done first if things get bad. The basics that you will need are food, water, fuel and shelter. I added the ATM in case the bank closes and we want our money out. I just keep some extra peanut butter, spam, frozen lunch meat and sausage. soups and oatmeal. Forget the fifty pounds of flour we wouldn't eat that in a lifetime. I like his emergency kit. How about a small flashlight that takes AAA batteries. If nothing else they are good for making shadow figures on his wall.

·
Administrator
144,135 Posts
Fantastic that he is interested in developing and practicing basic survival skills at his early age.

Young kids around here think that it's some sort of magic when they turn on a faucet and water comes out.

Do remember....no paracord around the neck unless it has a breakaway clasp.

Or go with the smaller size Stainless bead chain.

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
Heck guys, lets build this thing!

Lets start with a 3 section gear pod and carrier from gearpods.com. A kid can be rough on stuff

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
We have used surplus army side satchels for the "man bags" we gave to our boys. Cheap, sturdy and just the right size for the youngsters.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have a small backpack I'm going to use. There's lot of zip pockets, so it will be fun for him to go through the whole thing.

I've got some things on Amazon I'm getting:
- SOL survival poncho
- signal mirror/whistle combo
- headlamp, a simple band version. He has a headlamp, but it's big and clunky and this streamlined one should work better for him.
- fire starter
- outdoor knots tying guide I thought this was a neat find. Something fun and practical.
- books: My Side of the Mountain, Survivor Kid: A Practical Guide to Wilderness Survival, A Boys' Book of Survival (How to Survive Anything, Anywhere)

Stuff I'm having made for him:
- glow-inthe-dark compass on knotted breakaway cord
- cord bracelet with glow-in-the-dark string

Stuff I'm finding locally or already on hand:
- pocket shortwave am/fm radio
- sewing kit
- glow sticks
- first aid
- Lifestraw / water purification

Other stuff is for him to learn and add.

·
Premium Member
1,332 Posts
Here's the best book ever to trigger the love of the outdoors in young ones: My Side of the Mountain

This book was read and re-read by me as a youth.

Look at the Boy Scout Manual too - it had a lot of age appropriate camping, hiking stuff.
I am a sucker when it comes to boy scouts, girl scouts, brownies & cub scouts. Out comes the wallet anytime they have a fund raising. Great for kids.
Even though I got kicked out.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts