Defensive Carry banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang,

Its my first time carrying and I am using a kydex holster with a Big Foot gun belt...

Should the belt be tight tight so the holster can't move at all as i walk? I felt it may have been too loose and wiggled as i walked...

thoughts? thanks...

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
I found I adjust my belt for different pants. Sometimes it seems like the holster is moving too much. I also move the holster between 1:00 and 2:30 depending on Holster and gun. In general I keep the belt tight enough to have minimal movement.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my biggest issue is having the holster move and printing the grip... Glock 19 FYI.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I generally carry with my belt quite tight - but I carry IWB at 3:30 - 4:00, so that may or may not work for AIWB.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Adjust your holster to your favorite position then do the tighten up. :smile:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I carry my XDS in a T.Rex Arms Raptor Holster, love it. As far as the belt is co corned I keep it pretty snug but not uncomfortably so. I find the 12:30/1:00 position is the most comfortable for me and allows me to sit/move without any issues.

Regarding the printing issue for the g19 grip, an important feature for an aiwb holster is to tuck the grip into the body to minimize it. Check out my review of my Raptor Holster https://youtu.be/C-M66gQ1ndg

·
Banned
3,342 Posts
Welcome to DCDC. My standard spiel for AC is here (not my video I just like the way he breaks it down). Watch this and have fun!

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
Welcome to DCDC. My standard spiel for AC is here (not my video I just like the way he breaks it down). Watch this and have fun!

That looks suspiciously like "crotch" carry to me.

Give a whole new perspective on the phrase "Is that a gun or are you just happy to see me?"

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I carry my XDS in a T.Rex Arms Raptor Holster, love it. As far as the belt is co corned I keep it pretty snug but not uncomfortably so. I find the 12:30/1:00 position is the most comfortable for me and allows me to sit/move without any issues.

Regarding the printing issue for the g19 grip, an important feature for an aiwb holster is to tuck the grip into the body to minimize it. Check out my review of my Raptor Holster https://youtu.be/C-M66gQ1ndg
As badly as i wanted one, Im having something very similar being made custom locally with only a 7-10 day lead time...i may end up with a sidecar down the road though!

·
Registered
821 Posts
I found I adjust my belt for different pants. Sometimes it seems like the holster is moving too much. I also move the holster between 1:00 and 2:30 depending on Holster and gun. In general I keep the belt tight enough to have minimal movement.
+1 Different gun/style/holster/belt/needs. Adjust to your comfort and need. Sometimes NOT comfortable. Deal with it.

·
Registered
283 Posts
belt should just be snug, not cinched down tight. if you have a good belt, then the problem is most likely the holster. I prefer having two clips, and if the grip rides too high above the belt, it could "flop around" because the fulcrum / point of balance is low on the muzzle. my aiwb holster has two clips, the belt claw, and muzzle pad to keep the grip tucked in.

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
Great advice from all of the others, it depends on the gun, the holster and the belt. From a former appendix carrier to a new one, don't adjust your belt so tight that you feel like you're in a vice. If the gun is moving enough that you feel the need to do that, you're carrying the wrong gun for appendix carry for you or you need to look into a sturdier holster that is specifically made for that kind of carry. Some people (myself included when I didn't know better) automatically assume if it's an IWB holster, that it's good for appendix carry...not true at ALL. Belts matter a lot too. Some belts you'll find will allow a holster to slide easily by hand so that you can fiddle around with it and get it "just right". The problem is, if your hand can easily move the holster on the belt, so can a lot of other things. My belt makes it a chore to move my holster back and forth across it. And when I put it in one place, that sucker does not move without a good amount of effort.

I'm not saying it literally needs to be rock solid, but you don't want an easily moved holster because if it can move so can the gun.

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
I carry in a single clip kydex holster on a 5.11 casual belt. The holster fits the belt and the clip is secure. My body does not need to push the gun into the belt or vice versa. My belt is comfortably snug enough to keep my pants up. It rides on my hips, not above them, up by my navel.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Most days I keep mine at the same level of tightness as if I was not carrying. On days when the stomach is rumbling and tumbling I make it loose where the holster moves around easy. Days like that, where my stomach isn't feeling good, are the days that I really dislike AIWB.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts