Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well hey everyone I am looking to get a couple questions answered on my first carry weapon.

this past summer me and my brother went and took our chl course and i just got my permit or license whatever you wish to call it.
when i got my license i started thinking about what gun i should get and well as of now I'm not sure on where to start.

as far as what i should consider when trying to find a reliable carry, like the pluses and negatives to carrying an semi auto compared to a revolver.

now i have hunted since i was 12 so I'm no newbie when it comes to firearms, but when it comes to finding a carry weapon thats a different story.

so the couple questions i have are:
if a revolver the pluses and negatives to hammerless as to with a hammer?

aspects i should consider when looking at finding the right one.

so more or less the little things.

i don't want to go with a caliber lower than a .380.

i do own a xd 40 5 in barrel and a s&w 38 special.

the one pistol that i like a lot is the sp101 it feels great in my hand but anyways, sorry about the long post hope to hear from some of all.

thanks for all the help!!!!!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
If you go with a revolver, I would get hammerless. it still has a hammer, it's just covered with a shroud. This helps keep it from snagging on clothing, which is helpful especially if you pocket carry.

What weapon you carry is a very personal decision though, so I honestly don't think I can help you pick what to carry without throwing in my own spin and bias. I know what works well for me, and that's about where I draw the line.

Find a gun you can shoot well, fits you well, is reliable, you can carry comfortably, and has the stopping power and capacity you're looking for.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks. ya im just looking for little tips one what i should consider when looking at buying. like what you just gave me.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Where ya at in dallas? I can let ya try out my P229 if ya want.

·
Super Moderator
17,561 Posts
Best bet is to find a range that rents weapons and try as many as you can afford looking for what fits your hand best and has the most accuracy for you.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I am guessing that you think the xd 40 5 in barrel is a bit too big to hide?
I would carry that.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no to big just to heavy. i mean i would carry it every once in awhile, id love to but i also want something a little lighter cause of the type of clothes i wear.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
What model is your S&W .38 and how long is the barrel?

My personal preference has always leaned towards semi-autos, whereas my dads was revolvers as his preferred carry gun. The last one he carried was a Rossi in .38 with a 2" barrel. For the life of me I can't remember the model number or name of it though, I just remember it was a five shot model.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
I think an SP101 would be a great carry gun. It's a might be a little heavy for pocket carry, but it would make an outstanding CC gun. The .357 is no doubt a major manstopper. The SP is built like a tank and will give you years of service. The trigger can be made better with a new trigger spring (approx. $10), which you should be able to change yourself in about 15 minutes.

I'm personally looking for an SP101 with a 3 1/16" barrel. The longer barrel will give me a little better sight radius and reduce recoil slightly. I want it for a CCW gun and also for a gun to carry when deer hunting, camping, fishing, etc...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ya i agree that it might be to heavy for a pocket gun. but ill get a pocket gun a little later for now id like to get a good durable ccw.

its a model 10 4 or 5 inch barrel. it was the military police issue

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Check out the...

Ruger LCP, Kel-Tec P3AT, or Bersa Thunder .380 cc (larger than the first two) if you're interested in a .380 acp.

Kel-Tec PF-9, Kahr PM9, Springfield XD 9 sub-compact, or Glock 26 if you're looking for a 9mm.

Those might be some places to start researching. They're smaller guns, but easier to conceal.

A S&W J-frame or Ruger LCR might be something to check out if you're interested in a small .38 revolver.

·
Registered
130 Posts
+1 on the Bersa. My EDC is the .380, but the Bersa 9mmUC (UltraCompact) is only slightly larger. The Bersa 9s are one of the best kept secrets out there.

Renting different things at a range is a good way to go. Good luck.

·
Registered
370 Posts
The most important thing in whatever gun you end up with is get a good holster. In particular check out Crossbreed Holsters > Home and get yourself a Supertuck. Every pistol I own has it's own Supertuck to go with it.

The SP101 is a great carry revolver, one thing to think about is that semi-autos have more carrying capacity. But if you have an ammo failure a revolver is easier to recover from ... you just pull the trigger again. There really is no ONE gun for it all. It'll take owning several guns to have for every situation. Good luck!

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
well hey everyone I am looking to

the one pistol that i like a lot is the sp101 it feels great in my hand but anyways, sorry about the long post hope to hear from some of all.

thanks for all the help!!!!!
The SP101 would be an excellent choice if you want a revolver. Most people who carry for self defense seem to favor the DAO, (hammerless) for carry. I personally like to keep the hammer for a single action option and have never had a snagging problem. Either way you can't go wrong with the Ruger SP101.

·
Registered
825 Posts
You've got the xd 40 - 5 inch, so you are familiar w/ them. I'd go w/ an XDsc (3" barrel) in 9 or 40 - both are the same size. Easier to conceal.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
If you do pretty good with the .40 cal that you have, you may want to consider a compact or sub compact XD or Glock in the same caliber. Less practice ammo to buy and a caliber you are comfortable with.

A compact Glock is concealable, a subcompact will cost you a little barrell length (accuracy) and grip size (ammo capacity).

I carry a Glock 19 (9mm 15+1 capacity). One of the biggest reasons I chose a Glock was the reliability, short of a revolver I don't think any one make of guns has a better reputation for reliability (this will launch the fur).

Nothing wrong with a revolver, except maybe ammo capacity, although it is usually enough to get the job done. I would suggest hammerless for easy of carrying, just make sure you are good with it in double action mode.

Good Luck

Joker1

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
I CCd a bobbed SP101 .357. I never felt undergunned with it. If you do go that route, make sure you get a holster that has all the molding on the outside, so that the inside, the part of the holster that faces your body, is flat and smooth. The cylinder bulge in a lot of revolver holsters can really dig into your side if you get an inside-the-waistband holster.

·
Banned
160 Posts
A good holster and belt are also very important parts of the equation, as important as the gun, almost. An uncomfortable holster can make for misery.

Now that I read the rest of the replies, I see that RED has suggested a fine holster. I have two and absolutely love them.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts