Defensive Carry banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every so often I take accumulated aluminum, brass, and copper over to the recycler. Today was a bit different though. The owner's employee was open carrying (still pretty rare around here but certainly growing in popularity) and he was carrying a Tokarev!

Unfortunately it was one converted to 9mm Parabellum but the guy was pretty knowledgeable and like me, carried a reload and can of pepper spray.

Ever see someone carrying a Tok?

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Can't say that I have ever seen one. Still trying to find out what pistol looks like it has a RDS built into the slide. No, it wasn't an add-on, and what would be the sight portion was only about 1/3 to 1/2 the height of a micro RDS and backwards. Never did see the officer again to ask him.

Just saw another OC last week, a woman again. While I'm personally against OC, though that could change, give the way the social climate is changing, I do appreciate seeing it on occasion.

·
Registered
7,494 Posts
At one time I carried a Tok-Egypt, Tokarev in 9mm with a firing pin safety. Made for the Egyptian army. The attraction was that they are very thin!
The Russian Tok's are in 30 cal and very loud! in 9mm it was half as loud! But for the time it carried well. Then lighter guns came out! DR

430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya, hammer down. We talked about it. He said he'd "just draw and cock it." A friend carried a Desert Eagle that way for some time. "Condition 2" I think it's called.

I couldn't see the left side of the weapon but it might have the slide-mounted safety of the 9mm (new production models). He said it was "an underrated weapon" and it's clear he likes it.

I have one of the Yugo's with longer mag and 1911-style safety add-on. I'd carry that cocked and locked but I don't think the hammer or sear is blocked by that added-on safety.

Apparently he's quite the reloader and offered to show me how to reload if I wanted to visit his place.

·
Registered
15,814 Posts
Can't say that I have ever seen one. Still trying to find out what pistol looks like it has a RDS built into the slide. No, it wasn't an add-on, and what would be the sight portion was only about 1/3 to 1/2 the height of a micro RDS and backwards. Never did see the officer again to ask him.

Just saw another OC last week, a woman again. While I'm personally against OC, though that could change, give the way the social climate is changing, I do appreciate seeing it on occasion.

like that?
Trigger Air gun Line Camera accessory Gun barrel

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Nope, not it. It was the shape of the actual slide, not an add-on.

·
Registered
7,494 Posts
Around Fresno CA, The Hmong, and Lao people favor the TT guns. Its kind of their 1911! There are enough here that the stores carry the 30 cal ammo. But the OP's gun being in 9mm he can get ammo anywhere. I don't know much about the new guns but the old ones were well made, and a simple design.
I also have a Mauser pistol in 30 cal. I can use the 30 cal commercial ammo, German surplus, or Chinese surplus. But I avoid the Russian ammo, it is HOT! DR

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
Ya, hammer down. We talked about it. He said he'd "just draw and cock it." A friend carried a Desert Eagle that way for some time. "Condition 2" I think it's called.

I couldn't see the left side of the weapon but it might have the slide-mounted safety of the 9mm (new production models). He said it was "an underrated weapon" and it's clear he likes it.

I have one of the Yugo's with longer mag and 1911-style safety add-on. I'd carry that cocked and locked but I don't think the hammer or sear is blocked by that added-on safety.

Apparently he's quite the reloader and offered to show me how to reload if I wanted to visit his place.

Israel carry that is called by some ie draw and cock it ..The story goes that is how they used to carry it on planes but know who the truth of it

They are a number of as noted 9mm toks now non converted ..Frankly prob a better choice 762 tok is crazy hot for most SD imop ..HP 762 tok I have not seen a in a long time ( ppu makes them I think ) but 9mm would be a better choice unless you are facing body armor lol.

Tok esp the old or safety deleted models are imop still a great carry gun very slim very easy to hide and good to shoot ..Issue is of course its a surplus gun so sights etc are combat sight not that great

FYI as you prob know the safty was never part of the build it was alway a no safty gun ie at most carry it half cock or pull and load .. US import law makes them put a manual safty on it .. If you find a bring back etc tok it wont have one ..I have fired bring backs and they are very nice

·
Super Moderator
19,234 Posts
Around Fresno CA, The Hmong, and Lao people favor the TT guns. Its kind of their 1911! There are enough here that the stores carry the 30 cal ammo. But the OP's gun being in 9mm he can get ammo anywhere. I don't know much about the new guns but the old ones were well made, and a simple design.
I also have a Mauser pistol in 30 cal. I can use the 30 cal commercial ammo, German surplus, or Chinese surplus. But I avoid the Russian ammo, it is HOT! DR
Is your 30 Mauser like this one?
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood Gun accessory

Reactions: dangerranger

·
Registered
7,494 Posts
Is your 30 Mauser like this one?
View attachment 364178
Pretty close! I think mine is in rougher shape. It is WWI era. and was severely rusted and pitted.
As a teenager I cleaned it as best I could and cold blued it. It has a sewer pipe of a bore, but surprisingly it still shoots pretty well. I found a buttstock for it a few years later. It's one of those guns that draw a lot of attn at the range!
Because of the buttstocks I moved it and a WWII High Power out of CA, when CA was making moves to do away with any grandfathered guns! That law is still tied up in court but I still could not legally bring them back to ca. DR

1 - 13 of 13 Posts