Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now I only have an IWB for my P238 but I have an inexpensive slide holster on its way.

Today I wore my IWB holster with my shirt tucked behind it and nobody said anything at Home Depot or King Soopers. It is the first time I have ever done that. I was wearing a black t-shirt, my grips are black, and my pistol is very small so maybe nobody really noticed. I realize this is not the best OC option but I also have my CCP, and when I have an actual OWB holster it will be better and look less like I am being careless.

It was a first. I felt a little "noticeable" but for some reason it didn't make me as uncomfortable as concealing and having my shirt pull up and accidentally show it.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Great job, theres some good ladies threads here with tons of info my wife has gotten some really good ideas from them. Good luck

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
You'll learn two things, over time: most folks won't notice even if they're right behind you in a queue; and, clothing/gear matters, in terms of going discreet (hiding in plain sight).

Congrats on the first outing! It's not as rough as it seems.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Congrats and stick with it! The more OC users out there, the more desensitized the Colorful State of Colorado and the country will be to handguns in public view. there are still so many people out there that have no idea that OC is an option and performed daily by good Americans.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am moving to WA in a couple of months. WA is an open carry state that does not recognize CO permits, so OC is my only good option until I've lived there 90 days and can get my CCW. I kind of wanted to see what it was like first.
I kind of liked it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Visual deterrent and ease of access, at the same time as desensitizing "ornery America" to the belief only bad guy's have guns, is a WIN, WIN...WIN IMO. :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
I am moving to WA in a couple of months. WA is an open carry state that does not recognize CO permits, so OC is my only good option until I've lived there 90 days and can get my CCW. I kind of wanted to see what it was like first.
I kind of liked it.
We need more Open carriers here in Washington! I would strongly recommend though that you don't use an IWB holster for Open carry here. It is a legal grey area in this state, whereas other states like Virginia it's acceptable. The general rule here is that it needs to be in an exposed holster. An officer could make the argument that you were trying to conceal and/or that's its not fully exposed constituting "concealment" because it's an IWB holster. Don't know how that argument would hold up in court but wouldn't want to test it out. What part of WA will you be moving too?

edit : A lvl 2 retention holster like a blackhawk serpa imho is a must.

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you look around on various open carry websites a lot of them say "exposed holster" (http://www.washingtongunrights.com/) is the definition of open carry in WA. I cannot find any legal decisions or legal law that defines open carry in the state of Washington. If you are going to be open carrying you should be prudent in the manner you carry based upon the uncertainty of the law pertaining your carry method. Open carrying in an EXPOSED holster (OWB) is 100% legal, but is IWB? That's a grey area. Also if you carry "openly" IWB you run the risk of your shirt/jacket from bending over and/or reaching to high places going over your gun and concealing it. I have been open carrying for awhile and this does happen with my jackets if I reach too high for something in a grocery store or at home......so there are practical reasons as well IWB is not the best method for open carry.

·
Registered
128 Posts
My understanding has been that while it is legal to open carry in most of Colorado, open carry in Denver, boulder, and Breckinridge is not legal. I'm assuming your in Denver by what your location says...

If I recall correctly....Denver actually tried to ban both open carry and concealed carry. The courts allowed the ban on open carry to stay but struck down the ban on concealed carry and said they must allow it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My understanding has been that while it is legal to open carry in most of Colorado, open carry in Denver, boulder, and Breckinridge is not legal. I'm assuming your in Denver by what your location says...

If I recall correctly....Denver actually tried to ban both open carry and concealed carry. The courts allowed the ban on open carry to stay but struck down the ban on concealed carry and said they must allow it.
I'm not in Denver itself. I live in a suburb in Jefferson county. I rarely go to Denver since I work and go to school in the west side of the metro.

·
Registered
9,956 Posts
Ky state Constitution guarantees right to OC. I CC about all the time but to be honest just because of all the anti gun this and anti gun that Ive been really considering going OC for a while. Not that anybody here would likely notice it.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Congrats on taking the plunge OP! I wish more would OC...we need more good guys showing the general public (Those that opt out of exercising their rights) to be shown that most gun owners are law abiding citizens that have no intention of causing any harm. Some folks will say that it causes unwanted attention...I say that if the the vast majority of owners carried, perhaps one day it wouldn't.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I enjoyed reading this. OC is coming to Mississippi on June 1, 2013. I am also a conceal carry permit holder so carrying won't be new....the open part will be though.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Does the type of gun seem to affect people's response much? As in a revolver vs semi auto or a small gun vs a large gun?

I would like to OC my 229 also but I think it will probably elicit more of a reaction than the 238.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Does the type of gun seem to affect people's response much? As in a revolver vs semi auto or a small gun vs a large gun?

I would like to OC my 229 also but I think it will probably elicit more of a reaction than the 238.

A "big" gun seems to affect some people a bit more, sure. But they'll be the ones who allow themselves to get really cranked over any sort of gun anyway. Most folks won't see it, even if they're standing right behind you in a line and it's all too obviously there. And most of those folks who do see any such thing won't say anything.

One simple way to hide ~90% of the reaction is to dress such that the holstered gun fades into the background (ie, black holster, black gun, dark shirt).

Particularly in a state where OC is commonplace, I don't expect you to have much trouble no matter what you carry. There are knee-jerk fraidy-cats everywhere, though, and it's entirely possible you'll run into one here and there.

My best advice is: be your normal, calm, responsible self; dress the part of such a responsible person; don't lash out or snipe; take any comments by folks in stride, coming frequently from a position of ignorance and/or fear as it does. Just go about your business. Really, your carry gun is just another thing you put on that day, much like your belt or shoes. It's there in case the unthinkable happens, sure, but it shouldn't garner any more thought from you than your belt or shoes. You're not a threat. You're not even a threat while carrying. Dress appropriately; carry appropriately; be quiet and discreet in your actions/speech. Folks will ultimately get used to such things, when it's clear you're not actually the threat it seemed possible a "gun-carrying person" might turn out to be.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts