Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I finally opened carry today for the first time. I went to go get some food went to a Chinese take out that was semi busy and a KFC. Mostly what I saw was most people didnt even notice my gun and the ones that did didnt care still feel funny walking around with it. I dont think I am ready for the wally world walk.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
There's always a first time; the next one will be easier. Congrats!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I feel frogy enough I just have visions of cops surrounding me with guns drawn lol

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
Dress nice and carry yourself well. Know your state laws and be confident in the fact that you are lawfully carrying. In the event that you are questioned by someone, you should be able to articulately communicate your state laws regarding carrying. You may encounter an LEO that isn't well versed on OC. With thousands of laws, they can't know them all inside and out.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
OK I finally opened carry today for the first time. I went to go get some food went to a Chinese take out that was semi busy and a KFC. Mostly what I saw was most people didnt even notice my gun and the ones that did didnt care still feel funny walking around with it. I dont think I am ready for the wally world walk.
I OC (Open Carry) all the time seeing how I'm not old enough to CC (Carry Concealed)

I notice the more people there are, the less they notice because nobody has good SA (Self Awareness) Wally World Will be a piece of cake.. I do Meijer's, Sam's Club, Costco, Krogers: all really big places and no problems.... sorry about the (....) sometimes all the short words are confusing.

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
Typical experience in OC. Most people are so deep into condition atomic white that they never notice that you have an openly carried hand gun on.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I envisioned cops surrounding me the first time I OCed, but people really don't notice whats in front of their face.

·
Premium Member
4,456 Posts
Dress nice and carry yourself well. Know your state laws and be confident in the fact that you are lawfully carrying. In the event that you are questioned by someone, you should be able to articulately communicate your state laws regarding carrying. You may encounter an LEO that isn't well versed on OC. With thousands of laws, they can't know them all inside and out.
+1000.........good advice

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Sweet, one more for the NC cause! What part of NC? I've had no problems with LEO's around the Hickory area. Dealt with a few on different occasions. I had one issue with a WM assistant mgr. Finally got that squared away. I was told I could carry anytime now. :hand10:

·
Registered
541 Posts
it will get easier I guarantee ya, dont think about it so much and just go do it. You will forget all about being uptight and nervous.

Congrats, may you have many more great days OC'ing

·
Premium Member
7,133 Posts
I feel frogy enough I just have visions of cops surrounding me with guns drawn lol
That could still happen in this state with our law about going armed to the terror of the public; so be careful and do your research on where to and not open carry.

·
Registered
43 Posts
While it gets easier just don't let your SA go down.:hand10:

·
Registered
471 Posts
Yah, I know how you felt. Happened to me the first time I went to Wally forgetting my pants at home.

Just kidding (it wasn't Wally), but even into the hardware store in a very small mountain town made me feel like I was play acting like some cowboy western - "outa my way pilgrim!".

The real story is that I started carrying after seeing very large and only minutes old mountain lion tracks that had been stalking me in the snow. My returning down the trail scared it off. Seeing the tracks scared me worse! When I mentioned it to an old timer he could not believe I was up there unarmed. Heck I just went up the mountain to hug a tree.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Dress nice and carry yourself well.
Hello to all. How well dressed is "nice"? I normally CC because I would rather not become involved in a scenario where I might be confronted. I know my rights and have my GFL as well as my Military ID which in GA as I understand also allows me to OC. I just am not the biggest people person and dont think I would be able to articulate the laws in a way that would be non confrontational. I have OCed before but that was just on my way to the range and it didnt help my buddy is strictly a CC person and he gave me hell about looking like John Wayne. I normally wear jeans or shorts and a t shirt or polo. I am clean cut (military and all) but do wear my clothes a bit baggy as that is the style I prefer.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Although I will defend your right to OC, for me, I prefer to keep my firearm concealed. Just for the possible hassle of it. You never know when you might run into someone who would cause a problem after seeing your weapon.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Great job! Welcome to the NC OC club! lol :) It gets much easier the more you do it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Usually I CC but it was a nice day sat and I didn't want put a coat on. So I just put on my holster and went out. But I did go sun to food lion lots more people out. Did find out that most people didn't notice and the ones that did just went on there way. Like most I prefer to CC don't like to bring extra attention to my self but like someone posted above most were condition atomic white

1 - 18 of 18 Posts