Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone, I got my CPL in the mail a few days ago, and my holster in the mail today. I took it out for a test run today.

It's a CZ P-01 in a High Noon Slide Guard with their Rock Steady belt. I figured if I spent the money, I wouldn't end up with the box full of holsters. I like the set-up, it's comfortable and all, but it is almost impossible for me to conceal it well.

Anytime I'm doing anything besides standing up straight, either the butt of the grip prints, or the entire grip prints. The grip just seems to stick out too much. I have wider hips, and that is why I went with OWB. My pants are already tight on the sides.

Any recommendations? Thanks!

Pictures added 4/26/13

3:00. Works the best for concealing, but is the least comfortable.

4:00. I expected it to lay flat against my body. When I move it back further it still sticks out like this.

4:00 and back will give me this if I'm doing anything but standing. The holster itself tilts away from my body in the 5:00 postion.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
4:00-4:30 is where the grip prints really badly.

3:00 is where I've worn it today and it prints the least, but there is a prominent bulge on my side because of my wider hips.

·
Premium Member
39,108 Posts
I'm guessing your prominent bulge is more a factor of your holster and you clothing than of your hips.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You didn't say what you're wearing for shirts, but start by wearing one size larger than normal.

Also, wear dark-colored shirts. Light colors show the shadows which reveal the gun's outline.
I've been wearing a larger shirt, and have tried on several larger shirts that I already have. Most of them were black too. The issue was that by the time I put something on large enough to conceal the gun decently, it was oddly large for me. One size larger than normal, and the butt still prints.

Thicker jackets work well, but wearing a winter jacket can conceal anything. I'm kind of frustrated to have half of my closet thrown about the bedroom with basically no options for summer carry. I have a feeling that this holster isn't going to work with my body. The grip just points out way too much. :frown:

·
Premium Member
39,108 Posts
That particular holster appears to ride very high, which is something I have never been able to make work for me.

·
Registered
185 Posts
First timer hear, did I make a mistake?

Yes, you should have used the word 'here', not 'hear'.

Other than that I can only suggest Hawaiian shirts. Lots of pattern to hide printing.
Also, I prefer my IWB to my OWB holster. It holds it much closer to the body. I like my Crossbreed Supertuck. I actually like my Blackhawk OWB too, but only when wearing a jacket that I won't be taking off.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Try (IWB) appendix carry. Or IWB 4:30. Sometimes I have togo as far as 6:00. And if I summer carry in jeans it almost always an anke rig.

·
Banned
5,171 Posts
Sadly, sometimes you really do have to try a number of rigs 'til you find what works for you. You can try a different holster, change your clothes or change the gun. None of these are free, some are expensive. I generally carry IWB and that's what works for me.

Good luck! You'll find something that works for you.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Does your holster have any forward can't , at 4:30-5:00 it puts the butt of gun in the small of you back. I am 5' 10" 150 and carry a m&p 40 full size in a galco super tuck holster with no issues,but do wear my shirts one size larger.

·
Registered
297 Posts
You didn't say what you're wearing for shirts, but start by wearing one size larger than normal.

Also, wear dark-colored shirts. Light colors show the shadows which reveal the gun's outline.
I agree with gasmitty....

·
Registered
29 Posts
It looks like you may need something with a bit more leather (wider) to help form the holster to your body. An IWB is the next logical step to explore if the Slideguard isn't doing the trick - I love my CBST.

·
Premium Member
24,511 Posts
If you don't have at least 1 draw full of holsters that didn't work, your not really a carrier!

I've found that generally speaking an OWB holster will not hold the gun as tight to the body as a IWB will. Try an IWB with adjustable cant.

Reactions: RickyD

·
Premium Member
3,841 Posts
And that, my friend, is why "holster drawers" are not just a gunwriter's idle cliche. Welcome to the club.
You should certainly try the different methods and suggestions posted here. But with that said, no one starts out trying to accumulate a drawer full of holsters, yet we all have them. The fact is we all have different body types, sizes, weapons, requirements on how we dress, etc. And, things change over time.

You can buy a really good holster, but it still might not be right for you. Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
Try an untucked t shirt over your gun with a untucked shirt. I just settled on FIST IWB leather, adjustable cant holster for summer casual were.

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
Get a shirt that has a small repeating pattern as that tends to break up the outline. Hawaiian shirts don't always work as the pattern is often too large. Smaller patterns don't give the eye enough of a contiguous line to make out the larger shape of the gun.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Here is a funny question why does it matter if you print?? Unless you live in a state that requires concealment if your rig is comfortable for you then just stick with it.

Sent from my Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 56 Posts