Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am an avid fly fisherman and at the moment I usually keep my firearm in the car. Does anyone here carry while fishing? I am not talking about fishing from the shore but, wading. I guess I have never tried because there's time you fall in the water and I am afraid of destroying my gun. What is the best gun for this situation? How do you carry it ? My guess on the gun would be a small frame revolver and for the holster a shoulder rig. Thoughts suggestions welcome. Thanks

·
Registered
941 Posts
Since I've had my permit I've never been fishing without it. If you fall in, just make sure you clean and lube the gun after. I don't use waders much, generally just fish out of a boat. In that instance, I just carry as I normally would, either IWB or OWB. But for waders, it depends on how far up they go. Either a waistband or a shoulder holster would be just fine.

·
Premium Member
24,508 Posts
I think I'd go for a subcompact Glock carried in a shoulder holster. If that restricts your casting action, then a hip holster with retention strap. The Glock should be minimally effected by the water if you fall in. Just keep it oiled and wipe it down good after fishing trips.

·
Banned
13,685 Posts
Sure...I carry just about everywhere. I carried while fishing last week.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I am an avid fly fisherman and at the moment I usually keep my firearm in the car. Does anyone here carry while fishing? I am not talking about fishing from the shore but, wading. I guess I have never tried because there's time you fall in the water and I am afraid of destroying my gun. What is the best gun for this situation? How do you carry it ? My guess on the gun would be a small frame revolver and for the holster a shoulder rig. Thoughts suggestions welcome. Thanks

If you fall in, it won't destroy your firearm. Just clean and oil it after you get out of the water. Think of it this way, our military doesn't wage war only on dry, sunny days. They just clean, oil, and move on.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
A small stainless-steel revolver would certainly fit the description, but some autopistols are actually easier to detail-strip than most small revolvers, in the event of a dunking.

Ruger revolvers will detail-strip more handily than than most other revolvers. The SP101 is certainly a handy little gun.

For carry rigs, in synthetic materials, survivalsheath.com would be a good place to start looking, and he (Robert Humelbaugh) has an SP101 on hand. He can make you a horizontal shoulder rig, or a chest rig that carries the gun at a slight up or down angle. If you want, he can make a rig that carries a gun on one side, and whatever you send him (for molding purposes) on the other. Last I knew, he worked with Concealex, very similar to Kydex. His site described why he prefers Concealex, and my Concealex products have certainly worked well.

Leather? You will find shoulder and chest rigs all over. Chest rigs, a.k.a. tanker rigs, are available from simplyrugged.com , El Paso Saddlery, and Bob Mernickle. Rob Leahy at Simplyrugged and Bob Mernickle are notable for being very personable guys as well as excellent craftsmen. I would think a chest rig handier for fishing than a standard chest rig.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Might be silly, but just a thought: if you are that worried about getting it wet, how about putting it in a zip lock bag, in your pocket? Could always shoot through the bag if it came down to it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here are the guns I carry a Para Ordnance P13 and a Glock G19. The P13 not as much as the G19 anymore. I wear pants waders and wade pretty much up to my waist. Lots of times you hit something slippery and go in up to my chest. Never went completely in yet but (I know I’ll probably go all in since I said this) ,I am pretty venturous at times when see a spot I want to hit I pretty much do what it takes to get there even if means getting soaked.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'm an avid fly fisherman and do most of it in Colorado streams and rivers. I carry a S&W M&P .40c all the time. I typically wear hip waders as opposed to chest waders, so the issue of availability is no different than when I'm not fishing --- OWB at roughly the 4 o'clock position.

As others have mentioned, getting a modern semi-auto wet is not an issue. They're made to take the abuse. I don't think it would be much of an issue for my S&W 642 either, but the semi-auto would be easier to clean and ensure that it is dry, IMO.

-Seawolf

·
Registered
712 Posts
I have fallen in twice this year while cleaning the boat. First time with my Wilson CQB and a PPS. Second time with my G30 and a 342pd. When I got home, I just wiped them down, field striped them, removed the grips and drown them in WD-40. Wiped off the WD-40, let them dry awhile, relubed, reassembled.
No Harm - Just my pride for falling off thre dock.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My chest waders have a handy pocket with a zipper inside. My Kahr fits there nicely!

·
Registered
11 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
My .02... I carry a revolver, I carry it in a nylon shoulder rig. All of my fishing and hunting is in serious bear country up here in Alaska... so I am more worried about sheer power in the gun than most would be I imagine. I try to take the 454 Casull, but when I can't its .44 mag or even my .357 snubby. guns are fin to get wetr and will survive a week long excursion soaking wet the entire time (I know from experience). the only real issue is ruining the holster, so dont go with leather. I like nylon, but some like Kydex.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Contrary to what many gun owners (especially new ones) believe, firearms are not fragile and will not rust, corrode, fall apart or be otherwise rendered useless if they get wet.

All it takes to dealing with a wet gun is drying off and a decent cleaning and relube.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
I use a nylon vertical shoulder rig to carry a titanium 41 snubby. To dehumidify it, without a detail strip down, it spends a couple of hours in a warm oven. Remember to remove it before she preheats the oven for your favorite chocolate chip cookies.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Fishing and carrying?
Of course, I carry where ever I go and after being threatened by tournament professionals over "spots" you bet I'm carrying.
I don't fly fish, so I don't (hopefully) have to worry about getting wet.
After being told in no uncertain terms that other people who are fishing for big bucks are more important that I am and will do "whatever they have to" to fish an area of their choosing, I carry, usually a .45 and of course my Canon. They have a chance of being shot with one or the other if I am threatened. I have given fair warning that if I am harassed I will take pictures and/or vidoe to be turned over to a tournament director for disqualification, and if the threat becomes violent I am prepared for a stronger defense.
With $200,000 on the line some people can become quite ignorant.:frown:

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
I carry my Seecamp while flyfishing. I place it in a plastic ziplock and depending on what I'm wearing, it either goes in my vest, in the chest pocket of my waders, or in a small, soft tackle pack.

Honestly, I could prob forego the ziplock if I wanted to, as others have said, a little water isn't going to hurt anything.......

·
Premium Member
10,047 Posts
If anything, you're really more vulnerable when you are out wading in a stream as your escape is severely hampered.

Guns won't get destroyed if they get dunked in the water unless you fail to properly maintain and clean it at the end of the day. Otherwise, Navy Seal's would be fighting with sticks.

Certainly a Glock is a good choice for such a task, but really whatever you usually carry is probably just as good.

The question is how to carry it while in waders and the answer really just takes a little imagination. There are plenty of rigs and methods to carry a weapon when fishing, regardless if you are in a boat, on the shore or in waders.

When I was on a float trip last summer, I pocket carried my XD9sc in my shorts. I had it in a zip lock bag and then shoved in my DeSantis Nemesis. That wasn't necessary and I knew I was sacrificing speed by having it in a zip lock, but I didn't know how often I was going to be in the water and I did want it to be as dry as possible.

Still, I wasn't looking to needing a quick draw on the river. Just having the gun with me was what was called for.

I am more concerned with needing a gun while in some remote area than I am on the street of my small town of 3,000 people.

Always armed and always discreet is my motto. Stay safe out there!

·
Registered
616 Posts
I lived in Alaska for several years, and always carried a full-sized revolver in a shoulder holster under my fly fishing vest. Never had a problem with comfort or anything else, even wading

·
Registered
199 Posts
I fell in while fishing a couple months ago. I took my XD sc 9 apart when I got home and made sure it was thoroughly dried and oiled. The "plastic" frame guns are going to have less issues with water than the steel frame guns.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts