Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for "snake insurance" when fly fishing. I was thinking my 642 with shot loads, but I'm open for other ideas. Small 22 perhaps, or other thoughts for the task?

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Me & water moccasins both like bass. I tried shot loads in my 642, yet after a little test-patterning (yeah, I know) I've decided that a longer barrel might keep things tightened-up just a tad better. While the light/compact nature of the 642 is surely appealing, I've found more "comfort" in my stainless Ruger Security Six 6". Since it's a favorite woods-walkin' gun in open-carry anyway, I saw no reason not to pack it. The additional capabilities of an easily-handled .357 mag DA/SA revolver is just...icing on the cake. :yup:

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
I used to carry a .357 Mag with snake shot, but that is really not very effective on some of the big rattlers around here. This may be one of the only reasons I could find for owning a Taurus Judge, or one of the other .410 things.

I did shoot a BIG rattler (almost 7 feet) with a 300 Win Mag one time. He was stretched across a caliche (rock) road. He coiled up and started rattling. Made an awful mess though. I wouldn't recommend it. :embarassed:

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Charter Arms .44 spl Bulldog 3" might be handy? But I don't know of an factory shot-ammo. (or maybe I'm simply trying to rationalize me...BUYING one?) :blink:
Ruger Blackhawk (birdshead) Vaquero? Ahhh, let's go whole hog if I'm trying to rationalize...S&W Governor! :yup:

·
Registered
4,674 Posts
I used to carry a .357 Mag with snake shot, but that is really not very effective on some of the big rattlers around here. This may be one of the only reasons I could find for owning a Taurus Judge, or one of the other .410 things.

I did shoot a BIG rattler (almost 7 feet) with a 300 Win Mag one time. He was stretched across a caliche (rock) road. He coiled up and started rattling. Made an awful mess though. I wouldn't recommend it. :embarassed:
I switched to carrying .44 Spl snake shot loads for the same reason, and a .410 pistol seems like a good option relatively speaking.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I'd stick with shot loads, but I wouldn't go down to .22lr. Like others have suggested, maybe something with a longer barrel.

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
Choctawhatchee River rider

Considerable water moccasin experience handgun results in 4" .38 special:

Speer shot capsules useless past 10 feet,

110 grain JHP will not open,

148 grain full wadcutter makes a nice splat with a quarter size exit wound.

From a rifle .22 LR Mini Mag Hollow Points work well - sorta dismal from a 4" pistol.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
For fishing, I use 22 shot shells in my 9 rd High Standard. But I also like carrying a machete.

·
Registered
671 Posts

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
You can use the snake for bait on bass - better if it's still got some squirm and wiggle left - and use a big hook.

Sent via my subspace communicator

Reactions: OldChap

·
Premium Member
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Reactions: OldChap

·
Premium Member
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
For fishing, I use 22 shot shells in my 9 rd High Standard. But I also like carrying a machete.
And the machete is slung over your back or discreetly concealed? :image035:

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
Pansies :biggrin2: There's a lot of moccasins and copperheads 'round my way, I just do what granddad taught me, give them space and let them be on their merry way. The only real issue I've run into is that moccasins are like legless cats, they get extremely curious and I've had one in the boat before. Luckily I was just getting done with my day and had already gotten to shore. He/she sure gave me a surprise, but I just got out and wandered back a little bit until it decided there wasn't much to look at. That took about 15 minutes and sure enough, instead of chasing me down like people like to think, it just meandered on over to the water and went about its day.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
If you are using .38 special for snakes, what size shot is recommended?
What are you're choices? I'm thinking .357 for big snakes like diamond backs.

Do you see what I did there?

Sent via my subspace communicator

Reactions: muzzleblast

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
If I was fishing where there were snakes I'd have both a machete type blade, wear it up on your back like Denzel in Book of Eli. Should fit right in, as I imagine there's some brush and whatnot that might need clearing while walking in. Maybe branches that need knocked down to cast... or retrieve flies :wink:
And I would use it as an excuse to get one of those pistol type sawed offs, too :yup:

1 - 20 of 88 Posts