Defensive Carry banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
^^ NC native mtn. brookies don't get big, but only live in the prettiest, unspoiled, cleanest places left. A 10 incher is big. I love fishing for them. Caught this one last week.

Yeah, that one's a brute around here. Been years since I've seen one over 12", but I've seen them. BTW, depending on where you guided we likely have some mutual friends. Been fly fishing for over 20 years. Not as much lately but got some buddies that either used to or still guide. And based on your sig line, I might know you. Fleming13 here.

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
Love to fish. Pole and line, set lines, flies, lures, and bait, I enjoy fishing. Like so much of my life these days, my fishing is in a transitional phase. Sold my boat a year ago to my brother-in-law. If I am out in a boat now it will be due to the graciousness of one of my relatives or friends. I have went trout fishing twice recently in February in between snowstorms for short outings to get out of the house. As the old saying goes, "The catching wasn't much, but the fishing was great." The traditional trout opener in the stocked parks in Missouri is today, March 1. Not my cup of tea as I don't like crowds. I enjoy catching warm water pan fish on a fly rod as much as I do catching trout, and dunking minnows for crappie with a cane pole is just fine, too. I usually keep a fly rod in the truck during warm weather in case I stumble upon a pond or stream that looks "fishy" that warrants a few casts.

·
Premium Member
3,949 Posts
I can hook you up with that! Cape May has the largest scallop fleet on the east coast. Many of my friends have done it our whole lives and some have their own boats now. So, all you have to do is sign your name. They will pretty much take anyone. You will go to sea on a date decided by the state and there are only so many permits per year. Regardless of conditions you will go to sea that day. The state does not allow you to wait out a storm. So if a nor-easter is blowing, the seas are 20+ feet and the temps are in the teens, you still have to go. Once there you man the rakes. As the catch is brought up everyone opens the scallops. They are always opened, sorted and packed as they are caught. Usually about 19 hours per day. Opening those shells in frigid weather is terrible I think and it takes a lot to fill up those gallon tubs. The boat stays out until it is full. Maybe a week and a half, maybe three and a half weeks. Then just a day or two to come back to the docks and you unload the catch for a few hours. You get paid in cash and it could be 4 or 5 grand or it could be 1 grand. Depends.

Let me know when you are ready.

Oh, I forgot to add, you haven't really been scalloping unless you spend at least half of that cash in one of the dock side bars and get in fight. Maybe a friendly stabbing if you really want the full experience.

Just don't end up with your name on this:

View attachment 290804

Edit to add: sorry guys, can't remove my grandfathers airplane for some reason. oops
B-24: what my father flew! :)

Reactions: MMinSC

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Yeah, that one's a brute around here. Been years since I've seen one over 12", but I've seen them. BTW, depending on where you guided we likely have some mutual friends. Been fly fishing for over 20 years. Not as much lately but got some buddies that either used to or still guide. And based on your sig line, I might know you. Fleming13 here.
Well I'll be hornswoggled. It's been a while. Howdy there, Jason! :danceban:

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
I was never really into fishing, but I'll never forget the one time my Dad took me fishing out on a jetty on the Long Island Sound. My Dad wanted to make a long cast and really put some effort to get the hook and bait into deeper water. I recall seeing the hook and bait flying through the air at great speed, followed by my Dad's fishing pole, thus ending our day of fishing. LOL---Sturgis

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Well I'll be hornswoggled. It's been a while. Howdy there, Jason! :danceban:
WNC is a small world, and sometimes the world wide web isn't so wide either. Good to see you around Phil. Don't get on the fishing boards as much anymore. It's an unfortunate problem to be too busy to really fish. When my real job doesn't have me running I'm probably making holsters on the side. Seems that guys with a lot of guns want a lot of holsters. lol

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
WNC is a small world, and sometimes the world wide web isn't so wide either. Good to see you around Phil. Don't get on the fishing boards as much anymore. It's an unfortunate problem to be too busy to really fish. When my real job doesn't have me running I'm probably making holsters on the side. Seems that guys with a lot of guns want a lot of holsters. lol
PM me. I could use another good holster, probably. I remember you making them. Hey, you shot any copperheads in the head at night with a pistol in one hand and a flashlight in the other lately? If I remember correctly, you can flat-out shoot!

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
PM me. I could use another good holster, probably. I remember you making them. Hey, you shot any copperheads in the head at night with a pistol in one hand and a flashlight in the other lately? If I remember correctly, you can flat-out shoot!
Haha. Not lately but that one is still on the garage wall. I’ll pm you later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
I'm 40 minutes from the coast and I have access to a few private ponds around the area. Will go trolling some, and then float down a river to the bay and just fish on the way. I got the surf fishing bug and used to go a lot. It's the only thing I like about the "beach".

The one thing I have yet to ever do is scalloping.
Check out Crystal River, FL

21 - 32 of 32 Posts